The Weekend Dish: 5/26/2012

Happy weekend, everyone! It’s an extra-long, holiday weekend at that! The (un)official start to summer, and it certainly feels like it, too! We’re looking at temperatures near 90 all weekend; time to bust out the sunscreen! Will you be grilling this weekend? I’d love to hear what you’ll be eating!

The start of a new season always seems to usher in new plans, new goals, and a general re-setting. I thoroughly enjoyed this 2012 Summer Bucket List for Kids by Kristen over at Dine and Dish. I don’t have kids, but I loved the idea of making a list of all the things she hoped to do during the summer. I’ve seen the Day Zero Project (101 things in 1001 days) in a lot of places, but I really like Kristen’s approach of a shorter list and a shorter time period for a dedicated season. I’m thinking that I may have to create one of my own! I’m also thinking that I might create an additional one solely for summer recipes. I love the My 100 list that I’m still working my way through, but am really smitten with the idea of creating a list just for the summer. I think I just gave myself something to do over the long weekend!

How about you? Do you already have some fun plans in place for the summer?

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Bacon and Cheese Quiche Tart – Pastry crust, bacon, and cheese. Living in a bubble. And Ron Swanson. All in one post.

Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce – Step-by-step photos with instructions on how to make the most amazing salted caramel sauce. You’re going to want to pour it over everything!

Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes – Putting the homemade salted caramel to good use by topping chocolate cupcakes with a salted caramel buttercream frosting.

Grilled Chicken Drumsticks with Spicy Apple Glaze – Chicken drumsticks that have been brined, coated with a smoky paprika rub, and then smothered in a spicy apple glaze. Perfect for grilling over Memorial Day weekend!

Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars – Creamy cheesecake bars with a graham crust, infused with lemon, and topped with tons of strawberries

Most Viewed Post This Week: Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes and posts from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

50 Tips for Baking Better Cakes (Sweetapolita)
A fantastic list of tips to put to good use when you’re whipping up a cake.

Fully Loaded Beer Bread (Evil Shenanigans)
I love a good beer and cheese, but throw in bacon and other goodies, and I’m all over it.

Homemade Nacho Cheese Sauce (Kitchen Simplicity)
The smell of nacho cheese sauce will forever remind me of being 7 years old and sitting in the orange seats of the Civic Arena watching hockey. I can’t wait to try this homemade version!

Nutella Captain Crunch Milkshake (burgh baby)
I say this often, but there aren’t nearly enough milkshakes in my life. I must start making them more often, and this looks to be as good a place as any!

Toasted Coconut Ice Cream with Fudge Ripple (Life {Made} Simple)
Nothing says summer like the taste of toasted coconut. I love the combination with a fudge swirl in this ice cream!

Have a delicious (and safe) holiday weekend!

14 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 5/26/2012”

1. Lori on May 26, 2012 at 9:44 am

I don’t have travel plans for the summer since we will be sending my youngest off to college, but might make a trip down south in October. My bucket list is short – I hope to break in my cuisinart ice cream maker with some homemade icecream. When it gets closer to August, I will need advice on what cookies and other goodies travels the best to college. Anything you can recommend would be appreciated. Thanks for all the hard work you do. I keep recommending your blog to my other foodie friends! It’s the first place I visit with my cup of coffee in the morning!

• Michelle on May 26th, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Hi Lori, When I went to college my mom often sent me care packages and my favorites were the ones that reminded me of home – my grandma’s biscotti, my favorite bakery sugar cookies, stuff my mom always made, etc.

Thank you for sharing the Brown Eyed Baker love!

2. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on May 26, 2012 at 9:55 am

I like that your showing the pictures for what you made and bookmarked for the week. Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

3. Tracy on May 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

For us it will be a weekend of outdoor home improvements and indoor playing with the ice cream maker I got for Mother’s Day. A favorite so far is cinnamon chocolate chip! I’ve already printed two of your recipes from this week and am ready to try those along with the salted caramel sauce. Have a great weekend!

• Michelle on May 26th, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Enjoy your new ice cream maker, Tracy! I adore fresh homemade ice cream!

4. Stephanie on May 26, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Sounds like a fun summer!

5. Vicki Pieranunzi on May 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Today we are going to a new(fairly) winery in Lower Burrell for a little music, a little more wine and good company!! I went to a wine tasting on Monday at Evolution in Sarver and the featured wines were from the Wooden Door so we are heading there today! Have a great weekend!

• Michelle on May 26th, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Have fun, Aunt Vicki, and enjoy your birthday!! How did you like Evolution in Sarver? That’s the second time in a week I’ve heard about it; I just looked at their menu online and it looks awesome. We still need to check out the winery in Lower Burrell, too! Do they have food?

6. Jennifer on May 26, 2012 at 7:46 pm

I’m most looking forward to our family vacation on Kiawah Island. I have two older brothers (both married), and a younger sister, plus my parents–we have rented a house on the beach, and I’m definitely looking forward to fun times together! Happy Memorial Day weekend!

7. shawn @ I Wash...You Dry on May 27, 2012 at 12:48 am

You really had some knock-out recipes this week! I included your chicken recipe in my 101 Memorial Day Recipe Roundup! I don’t have many plans this summer, besides going to EVO in July! Super excited about that!

8. Heather on May 27, 2012 at 11:08 am

We’re hijacking one of the apartment complex grills and making beef shish-kabobs. They’re a lot of work but so is firing up those grills, so might as well make it worth it right?

9. Jeri Barry on May 27, 2012 at 11:15 am

Bringing in summer in Wisconsin this weekend too! Forecast of 90 plus today here. Planting flowers, riding bikes and tonight grilling marinated pork tenderloin, making BLT pasta and Greek Quinoa salad (both Pinterest finds this week) and finishing it off with a rhubarb strawberry crisp with vanilla bean ice cream. Our local strawberries are here!! LOVED The Brown Eyed Baker this week!

10. Kristen on May 28, 2012 at 9:35 am

Thanks for chatting up my Summer Bucket List. I really hope that you do create one. I think everyone should have a list of things to enjoy over the summer. Really savor and celebrate it!
    Stay cool!