The Weekend Dish: 6/9/2012

Happy weekend! I hope you have something fabulous planned for this first full weekend of summer! All the rain we’ve been having here seems to have caused the garden to explode! The cucumber and zucchini plants are huge, and it was finally time to stake the tomato plants last night. Putting those stakes in the ground, tying the tomato plants to them and then standing and looking from afar… it looks like a “real” garden! There’s just something magical about the sight of those stakes, isn’t there? Other than admiring the plants in the garden, I’m working on some spring/summer cleaning and organization around the house. It always makes me feel so much better when things are where they’re supposed to be! What are your plans for the weekend?

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars – Millionaire bars on steroids! Layers of shortbread crust, caramel, cookie dough, and chocolate. A fabulous recipe from the new book A Cookie Dough Lover’s Cookbook by Lindsay of Love & Olive Oil.

Fresh Fruit Tart with Pastry Cream – A wonderful summer dessert – sweet pastry dough filled with pastry cream and topped with kiwi, raspberries and blueberries. Easily customizable to your favorite fruits!

Hamburger Buns – A recipe for homemade hamburger rolls – soft, slightly buttery, and perfect for your favorite burger.

Mojito Cupcakes – Cupcakes infused with lime, mint and light rum – fashioned after the popular cocktail.

Sausage, Mozzarella & Basil Stuffed Peppers – Stuffed peppers with an Italian flair – Italian sausage, fresh mozzarella and basil give these stuffed peppers amazing flavor.

Most Viewed Post This Week: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Billionaire Bars

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes and posts from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Buckeye Brownies (Cookies & Cups)
Buckeyes (chocolate-covered peanut butter balls) are my all-time favorite Christmas treat. Turning them into brownie decadence? Amazing!

Coconut Granola (Two Peas and Their Pod)
I adore granola – it’s a great anytime snack, and an especially great car snack. I have been making the same recipe for over a year now, so it’s time to try something new. Love all of the coconut flavor here!

Chorizo Mac and Cheese (Simply Recipes)
I have yet to cook with chorizo, and I think this mac and cheese recipe is the perfect place to start!

Drunken Blondies (Ezra Pound Cake)
I always love a good blondie, and these sound amazingly delicious, especially with the addition of bourbon!

Roasted Cherry Brownie Sundaes (Confections of a Foodie Bride)
Absolutely decadent brownies! Cherries are roasted in port, and then folded into brownie batter. The baked brownies are topped with ice cream, and then drizzled with more of a cherry/port reduction.

What was the best thing you ate this week??

Have a delicious weekend!

11 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 6/9/2012”

1. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on June 9, 2012 at 8:27 am

Ohhhh the cherry brownies you picked looks amazing!! This weekend I plan to do a little gardening too! My cucumber plants aren’t doing to well, but surviving. My tomatoes and peppers are insane!!! I love it! Have a great weekend and happy gardening!!

2. Debra on June 9, 2012 at 8:52 am

Best thing I ate this past week – the recipe you shared last week for Frozen Brownie Sundae. Served it to a house of teenagers for my son’s birthday – AWESOME! It made enough for leftovers too :)

I’m thinking those Billionaire Bars are calling my name…
    Happy Weekend!

3. Morgan on June 9, 2012 at 9:00 am

Just wanted to let you know how much I look forward to your weekend dish every week! Not only do like seeing what you’ve come up with for the week, but you always lead me to other interesting food blogs!!

4. Cheryl E. on June 9, 2012 at 10:09 am

I agree with Morgan…I enjoy being introduced to other food blogs too!!!

5. Jennifer on June 9, 2012 at 10:59 am

I’m planning on doing a lot of resting since I have a sinus infection…bleh. I bet your garden looks good and happy :) Seeing growing plants always makes me smile.

6. caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy on June 9, 2012 at 1:57 pm

oh those billionaire bars — wow wow wow!! thanks for sharing! what a delicious week of eats!

7. Elli on June 9, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I also made the brownie sundaes this week for a gathering but I used toasted chopped pecans so the dessert was like a big, delicious pecan ball. Another Pittsburgh speciality!

• Michelle on June 10th, 2012 at 11:51 pm

That’s awesome! You gotta love the pecan ball – that’s my mom’s favorite dessert at King’s :)

8. Coby on June 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Those Buckeye Brownies look amazing!

If you’ve never cooked with chorizo, another great way to eat it is just with some scrambled eggs wrapped in a tortilla for breakfast. YUM!

• Michelle on June 10th, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Thanks for the tip, that sounds delicious! I’m going to pick some up soon!

9. Gwen @SimplyHealthyFamily on June 9, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I came to the right place for my summer menu planning! bookmarking several of these, thanks!
    My fav foods durning the summer are ones I don’t have to cook ;)
    I like Greek salads and shrimp.