The Weekend Dish: 8/11/2012

How is it even possible that we’re almost to the middle of August?! The days and weeks keep going faster and faster. My basil started going a little haywire over the last week and started to develop some flowers. Eek! I had been a little neglectful over the last few weeks, not trimming it back or harvesting anything. I went in and did some trimming, and umm yeah, let’s just say I made a little bit of pesto

I also trimmed back my mint this week, which I’m hoping will have one more big growth and harvest before the cool weather arrives. I have big plans to can a batch of mint jelly to have on hand for lamb dinners over the fall, winter and spring! It was awesome to go out and pick a green pepper for my tamale pie this week. I can’t get over how unbelievably crisp fresh-from-the-garden peppers are! Finally, the tomatoes have sprung! After staring at green tomatoes for weeks and weeks, a switch seemed to be flipped this week. I picked two ripe tomatoes on Wednesday and then SIX more yesterday! How are your gardens coming along? What have you been harvesting?

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

50 of the Best Peach Recipes – A roundup of some of the best peach recipes from around the web for National Peach Month!

Tamale Pie – An easy casserole-style dinner with a chili-like bottom layer topped with cornbread.

Blackberry Gin Fizz Float – Blackberry puree, fresh mint, lime juice, gin, ginger ale and vanilla ice cream make one heck of a delicious drink!

Peach and Blueberry Crumble – Fresh peaches, fresh blueberries, crumbles and vanilla ice cream – the best of summer!

No-Bake Oatmeal-Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Bars – If you’re hating the oven right now, this recipe is definitely for you! Easy and delicious!

Most Viewed Post This Week: Top 10 List: Favorite Cupcake Recipes

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes and posts from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese with Caramelized Onions, Bacon and Apple (Pinch of Yum)
It’s about time to start thinking about fall recipes, and this one is definitely going at the top of the list.

DIY Homemade Yellow Cake Mix (Pennies on a Platter)
There are so many cake batter-flavored recipes that call for box cake mix; if you like doing things totally from scratch, this will be a staple for you! Love it!

Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam (Closet Cooking)
Yes, yes, yes. Must.Make.Immediately. The end.

Vanilla Bourbon Ice Cream with Salted Butter Pecans (My Life as a Mrs.)
This has to be ice cream heaven. I don’t know that summer can end without making this.

Zucchini Chips (Table for Two)
Although the zucchini yield is slowing down, I’m still picking them occasionally. This is a great way to use some up – a quick, easy and healthy snack.

What was the best thing you ate this week??

Have a delicious weekend!

17 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 8/11/2012”

1. Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum on August 11, 2012 at 12:08 am

Thanks for the link! That mac n’ cheese is my favorite – and I just made a variation of it with walnuts too! Yummy. And Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam, are you serious?? Gahh.

2. Kristen on August 11, 2012 at 1:03 am

Aww I’m so jealous of your garden! I had basil in my backyard but a week of 115 degree temperatures finally took my plant down. My pepper plant is still hanging on but that’s it for me.

3. Tina {My Life as a Mrs} on August 11, 2012 at 9:23 am

You can NEVER have too much pest! ;)

PS- thanks for the shout-out girl! :) Have a fabulous weekend!!

4. Tina {My Life as a Mrs} on August 11, 2012 at 9:24 am

Pesto* – apparently my morning coffee has yet to kick in haha

5. Nikki @Pennies on a Platter on August 11, 2012 at 9:25 am

LOVE that you’re going to can some homemade mint jelly! I really need to learn to can things.

Thanks for the link up. You will love having the mix in your freezer. Such a satisfying feeling somehow. ;)

6. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on August 11, 2012 at 10:19 am

Everything looks fabulous!!!

7. Anne @ Have a Cookie! on August 11, 2012 at 10:53 am

I’m making the Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam today – I’ll let you know how it turns out!

8. Mary on August 11, 2012 at 11:32 am

The homemade yellow cake mix is perfect for me! Thanks!

9. Terri on August 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Love your blog and enjoyed all the peach recipes this week. I am curious about trimming the basil plant. How and why do you do this? Would love recipes for all my tomatoes too if you have any. Thanks :)

• Michelle on August 18th, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Hi Terri, I just harvest the basil by snipping it immediately above the second set of offshoots from the main stem. I read somewhere that is the best place to trim basil and mint, as it encourages more growth.

10. Carol on August 11, 2012 at 8:05 pm

My basil is doing the same thing. I need to make a big ole batch of pesto tomorrow.

11. Jubes on August 12, 2012 at 5:07 am

Growing basil totally failed this year! I guess my container wasn’t keep enough, but they were sad looking. I’m totally jealous of how much basil you have! My tomatoes are just starting to turn red- well the pear and grape varieties are.

I’ve never even thought of making mint jelly. Got a good recipe you could share? :)

• Michelle on August 18th, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Hi Jubes, I have yet to make mint jelly, but if I get a good one, I will definitely share it on here!

12. Laura Dembowski on August 12, 2012 at 10:13 am

Love your weekly recaps! The best thing I ate this week was the Peach Blackberry Pie I made and just posted on my blog. I make it all summer, and it just gets better and better.

13. Shiloh on August 12, 2012 at 10:33 am

I’ve been potting basil for the last 8 years and I still fuck it up. ??!

14. Susanna @ Tastelling.com on August 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Lovely links! Our basil and tomatoes failed completely this summer. We got only one tomato even though we have about ten plants…

15. Julie @ Table for Two on August 12, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Thanks for the linkup, Michelle! I LOVE all that basil!! It’s my favorite herb and I can just picture the most amazing pestos being made with all that!