The Weekend Dish: 8/18/2012

Happy weekend! I hope that you all had a great week and are enjoying the waning weeks of summer before you switch to cool weather mode, whether that means back-to-school, football, or whatever the fall season brings your way. This week I enjoyed a little two-day getaway, a successful blueberry jam canning session, a garden yielding crazy amounts of tomatoes, and a charcoal-grilled soft pretzel with a Corona on a warm summer evening. All in all, a great week. How has your week been? Are you switching gears and getting ready for fall yet?

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Beer-Battered Zucchini Fries – I can’t think of a better way to enjoy my vegetables :)

Peach Coffee Cake – An incredibly moist cake loaded with peaches, cinnamon-sugar and pecans. I highly encourage you to eat it for breakfast.

Blueberry Jam – My very first canning experiment and I’m happy to report that it was a success!

Fresh Orange Sherbet – Turning a bitter memory into something a little sweeter with orange sherbet.

Friday Stuff n’ Things: Road Trip Edition – An Ohio road trip, nail polish, dogs and more in this week’s stuff n’ things!

Most Viewed Post This Week: Top 10 List: Favorite Cupcake Recipes

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes and posts from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like too:

Caramel Apple Cake (The Great Cake Company)
Oh my goodness. As soon as I saw this cake I remembered the amazing caramel apples that my Chief Culinary Consultant got during a trip to Toronto a couple of years ago. I must make this cake before winter hits!

Homemade Ricotta Cheese (Portuguese Girl Cooks)
This ricotta looks like a dream! After my failed attempt at mozzarella this week, I am definitely envious! I had made a mental note a couple of weeks ago that once I mastered mozzarella, ricotta would be next on my list. I’m definitely encouraged my Jessica’s success!

Icebox Candy Bars (Cookies & Cups)
Easy. No-bake. Cookies, candy and peanut butter. What more do you need?

Loaded Baked Potato Soup (My Life as a Mrs.)
One of my favorite soups, ever. I am so, so ready for fall – apples, cinnamon, soups, chili. Bring it all on!

No-Bake Peanut Butter Pretzel Chocolate Chip Granola Bars (Two Peas and Their Pod)
I love homemade granola bars and have a few go-to recipes that I love, but these might just take the cake. Love the combination of oats, Rice Krispies, peanut butter, pretzels and chocolate!

What was the best thing you ate this week??

Have a delicious weekend!

13 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 8/18/2012”

1. Jess on August 18, 2012 at 6:39 am

You should definitely try ricotta. It is way easier than mozzarella. It might give you the cheese making confidence boost you need to attach the mozzarella project again. Plus it is delicious. I like to use local milk and out it in lasagna or a ricotta tart. Good luck!

• Michelle on August 18th, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Good idea, after I had tried the mozzarella and was reading online for some ideas of what went wrong, I saw a lot of places indicate that mozzarella isn’t really a “beginner” type of cheese. Who knew?! I’m still going to try again, just might squeeze the ricotta in beforehand :)

2. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on August 18, 2012 at 7:32 am

I am not ready for the fall!! In California we just started to get summer weather!! However football season is always fun!! Have a great weekend!!

3. Sharon on August 18, 2012 at 7:50 am

Would love to see your list on great recipes that take 20 minutes or less.

4. Margaret on August 18, 2012 at 8:51 am

the best thing I ate was the dark chocolate cake with white chocolate cream cheese frosting that I made for my husband birthday

• Michelle on August 18th, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Oooh that sounds awesome! Happy birthday to your husband!

5. Laura Dembowski on August 18, 2012 at 11:44 am

I’m ignoring the cooler temperatures as much as possible, though I have to admit I’m enjoying being a bit chilly this morning for the first time in forever, hoping October and November will bring a heat wave of 80s. A girl can dream, can’t she?

6. caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy on August 18, 2012 at 2:39 pm

that peach cake looks amazing! delicious recipes!

7. Lisa from the 'Burgh on August 18, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Congrats – I just received the latest issue of Pittsburgh Magazine and saw the blurb about your blog!

8. Shiloh on August 19, 2012 at 11:52 am
  9. Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} on August 19, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Great round up. Hope you’ve enjoyed your weekend. It’s already Monday here.

10. Kate on August 19, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Zucchini is running rampant in the gardens this time of year – great way to use some of the harvest with the beer battered recipe. Hope the road trip was fun! I thought I was the only one that took photos out of car windows. haha! That’s fantastic! My family always looks at me like I’m a little crazy when I do that. haha!
    Have a great week.