Friday Stuff n’ Things: Goodbye Florida, Hello D.C.!

Happy Friday! My Chief Culinary Consultant and I have moved on to the final phase of our nearly four-week road trip. We left Florida early yesterday morning and tackled (we might be insane) the drive from Palm Beach County to Rockville, MD in one day. We made it through a rain storm in Jacksonville and ridiculous road construction in Virginia. We’re in the DC area for a long weekend to see a couple of concerts and catch up with friends, before finally heading back home to Pittsburgh on Monday. It certainly feels more like fall here; I was happy to throw on a pair of jeans today! More fun Friday stuff below!

1. A quick glimpse of our last week in Florida…

2. I love all of the book recommendations I received a couple of weeks ago (thank you!). I’ve heard a ton of great things about Gone Girl, I’ll be picking that up soon. Next question: give me the scoop on The Hunger Games – yay or nay?

3. This is all me… I’m the crankiest person in the world if allowed to get too hungry!

4. True story: I spent three weeks in Florida and didn’t put a bathing suit on once. We spent some time at the beach, but it was early in the morning or in the evening. Thus, no bathing suit wearing. I did, however, manage to snag some tan lines on my back and ankles from my workout clothes. It made me feel less guilty about my daily ice cream cones ;-)

5. I get to see this face in three days!

6. I posted about cupcakes a couple of times while I was in Florida and received some questions via Twitter about which shops I recommend. I’ve been to Cupcake Couture in Delray Beach twice now, and am in total love with their cupcakes – the cake is moist and they use a lot of frosting, which I love. There is a huge assortment of flavors to choose from, all with fun, fashion-inspired names. I also tried Sweet Surrender in Boynton Beach this trip. Their selection wasn’t as large, but the cupcakes were phenomenal. If you’re in the Palm Beach County area, I’d highly recommend either of these stops if you have a sweet tooth!

7. I did it. I took the Apple plunge. My shiny, new toy should be in my hands by this time next week.

8. I’m completely infatuated with Anthropologie. When I saw the store while walking through a  local mall, I nearly ran I was so excited. I could do monumental financial damage in that store. Everything is so unique! This time I came away with these Dining Room Measuring Spoons:

(I also happen to have an infatuation with measuring cups and spoons. I can’t help myself!)

9. I’m thrilled that fall TV is back! We caught an episode or two of American Chopper while we were in Florida, and I’m really excited about getting back into Boardwalk Empire, as well as catching new episodes of Parks and Recreation. What are your go-to shows?

10. TGIF! Enjoy your weekend!

35 Responses to “Friday Stuff n’ Things: Goodbye Florida, Hello D.C.!”

1. Josie on September 21, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Answer to Hunger Games, yay or nay? A definite YAY!!! I’m 52 years old and thoroughly enjoyed the series. I listened to it on audiobook and loved it. I saw the movie and was so happy it stayed so close to the book. I can’t wait for the second movie to come out. Enjoy the rest of your trip!!!

2. Jen of My Tiny Oven on September 21, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I say Yay to the Hunger Games. I just read it a few months ago, and coudn’t put it down! I read all 3 books back to back in about a week! Totally worth the read, they just keep getting better the farther you get into them.
    Have fun on the rest of you holiday!

3. Katy on September 21, 2012 at 6:08 pm

YAY to the Hunger Games – the BOOKS, that is! The movie’s not bad, but the books are way better. I also read all 3 books back to back in a week or so – just couldn’t stop! Safe travels back to PA… that’s a lot of driving :-)

4. Sarah on September 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Yes to Hunger Games! Travel safely!

5. Lisa S on September 21, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Yay to Hunger Games. I had no interest in the series until June when my niece said she was hooked (she barely ever reads) so I had to at least try. I couldnt put the first book down. Definitely worth reading!

6. Krissy @ Make it Naked on September 21, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Welcome to DC! Let me know if you need any really great restaurant recommendations!

7. Mary Ann on September 22, 2012 at 2:36 am

Congratulations on your Mac!

8. Laura on September 22, 2012 at 4:47 am

Welcome to DC! We have near perfect weather for you this weekend. Please try the Banana Split at Central Michel Richard (10th and Penn Ave). Their version is my favorite dessert in the whole world. You can probably sit in the bar area (if you don’t want a full meal). It also would be fun to see your take on their take of it! Enjoy your time here.

9. Amanda Rae on September 22, 2012 at 6:40 am

Oh Michelle, yet another love we share! Anthro is a problem for me- from their hobnail pitchers to their flowered dresses. And, lucky you to live in the home Of their flagship store! I’m working hard to figure out how my love of baking and my love of Anthro clothing fit together. :/

Hunger Games is good, the the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy is much better! I also just read Pollan’s book – what did you think?

10. Kim C on September 22, 2012 at 7:09 am

Michelle, if you’re a fan of the Bravo show Top Chef like my husband and I are, you might want to check out one of the former contestants’ restaurants while in the DC area! Spike has a couple, Mike Isabella, Bryan Voltaggio have places here and there’s even a sweets place by a Top Chef Desserts contestant! Yum!
    Safe travels!

11. Maria on September 22, 2012 at 7:14 am

Yes to Hunger Games, but the first book is definitely the best. I was disappointed in the second and thought the third was boring. Read The Power of Habit, it’s nonfiction and an excellent read.

12. ashley on September 22, 2012 at 7:42 am

Yes to The Hunger Games. They are addictive though, so be warned you won’t be able to get anything else done once you start :)

13. Sharon on September 22, 2012 at 8:01 am

The Hunger Games movie is wonderful, though I thought I would hate it before I went. The books are even better.

14. Amy Driscoll on September 22, 2012 at 8:35 am

Just have to say YAY to the Hunger Games. I highly recommend the series. I haven’t seen the movie, so I can’t comment on that.

15. Jen @ Savory Simple on September 22, 2012 at 9:16 am

I cannot believe you made that drive in one day! Enjoy your weekend :)

16. morri on September 22, 2012 at 9:26 am

Jumping on the bandwagon of “yay to Hunger Games”. I started the books thinking: “Hmmm, for YA that’s pretty good” (I’m not into YA), and then I realized that it was just pretty good, period. The story sucked me in completely, and there were very few characters that I didn’t like. A serious page turner.

17. Eileen on September 22, 2012 at 9:57 am

Sounds like a great trip so far. We are hoping to visit family in Fl this winter. I’m ready for a break. Thanks for a glimpse at what I have to look forward to!

18. Shelby in NC on September 22, 2012 at 10:18 am

So excited for you and your new Mac. It’s the best money can buy! Bless you,
    Steve Jobs! Enjoyed your photos. Thanks.

19. Laura Dembowski on September 22, 2012 at 11:11 am

I didn’t read The Hunger Games but watched the movie and was kind of shocked by the violence and story line. I know tons of people love it, but I don’t think I’d want to read the book. I’m so excited for fall TV. Revolution is already awesome. I also love Survivor, Grey’s Anatomy, Homeland, Castle, and way too many more. I watch too much TV!

20. Marla on September 22, 2012 at 11:40 am

Looking forward to Person of Interest on CBS and Scandal on ABC! Castle too – can’t wait to see how the relationship between Castle and Beckett progresses. After all the “YAY” recommendations, I might have to check out Hunger Games too!

21. Theresa on September 22, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I love your blog!! I’m going to say Yay! on Hunger Games. Books are WAY better than the movie. Actually, I was so disappointed when I saw the movie that I was happy I had read the books. I enjoyed the books so much that after I finished the third book, I reread them all over again!

22. Maria on September 22, 2012 at 12:35 pm

LOVE The Hunger Games. Read all three nonstop in one week a couple summers ago. Highly addictive. Congrats on the Mac. I bought one a couple years ago and though it took me awhile to get used to it, I now love it.

23. Maria Hanrahan on September 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Definitely YAY to the Hunger Games; I hope you’ll read the whole series. I loved every bit of it; I read a lot of YA fiction, but as someone else said, it’s not just great YA fiction, it’s great, period. And if you like it and want to continue with good YA novels, I suggest the Divergent series by Veronica Roth or anything by Gabrielle Zevin.

24. Kelly on September 22, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Huger Games is a for sure YAY! You absolutely must read them. You picked a great weekend to be in D.C. It is gorgeous today! Perfect autumn day.

25. Cathy D on September 22, 2012 at 3:28 pm

My kids all recommend Hunger Games, books first, then movie. I’m looking forward to seeing the movie soon, now it’s out. I just haven’t found the time to read the books tho, sadly.

Re the MacBook Pro–best investment you could have made, computer-wise. I got one for my birthday last month and I absolutely LOVE it. If you’re used to using a PC, it’ll take some getting used to, but totally well worth it.

Safe travels!

26. StarvingBitch on September 22, 2012 at 4:46 pm

A definite YAY on the Hunger Games I read all three books in a week, they were so good, Catching Fire I read in one day it was that good.

27. Sue on September 22, 2012 at 7:16 pm

I’ll be leaving for DC this Wednesday evening, aboard a chartered bus with 5th grade students! We tour Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Head back home late Saturday afternoon, arriving home early Sunday morning. Love DC! Fun times!

28. Nomi on September 23, 2012 at 12:34 pm

If you’ve already read Lord of the Flies and Battle Royale, I think that you can pass on Hunger Games, but I know lots of people who call it “book crack”, so I guess it’s worth trying, you can always choose to not finish.

29. Jenny Beth Martin on September 23, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Yay! Yay! Yay! Yes, yes, yes to Hunger Games. Best book series I have read in awhile. My 9 year old twins enjoyed it and 60 year old parents enjoyed. I have been encouraging everyone to read it. Unlike the other commenter I loved book three! I thought book 3 was best, then book 1, and then book 2. It is in an excellent series.

Enjoy DC and be safe on your final stretch home.

30. Kasey on September 25, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I say yay on Hunger Games, but no way on Gone Girl. I rarely hate a book and I completely hated that book. The language in it was terrible and I was so mad I wasted my time on that book. I know many people loved it, but I just couldn’t like it one bit!

• Maria on September 25th, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I totally agree about Gone Girl! I was beginning to think I was the only one. Glad to read your review if it.

31. Tar Heel Girl on September 28, 2012 at 11:23 am

Definite Yay to Hunger Games! Other books to put on your radar–yes for Gone Girl, try The Sandcastle Girls–loved it! Also try The Kitchen Room and The Chaperone.

• Tar Heel Girl on September 28th, 2012 at 11:28 am

Sorry the book is the Kitchen House not Room–enjoy!

32. Sara on October 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

Loving your pictures!

The Hunger Games are SO worth it. The storyline is a little gory, but the overall suspense and thrill of the books are worth the read. I’m a huge fan. I’m excited to read Gone Girl, as well–I just started a virtual book club and that’s our first month’s book pick! :) Our Twitter account is @CloseReadsCafe.

33. Rene on October 9, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Yes to the Hunger Games series. Clear the weekend or 2 days and you will read straight thru. The stories meld together – the 3rd book there was a slight lag for me but so so good! Just finishing the Chaperone by Laura Moriarty – BRILLIANT. It is a good read for the summer with lemonade and sandwiches (the summery kind).