Cake Batter & Sprinkles Chocolate Bark

Remember a few weeks ago when I shared with you the life-changing recipe for DIY Homemade Yellow Cake Batter Mix? I was beyond excited when I found a recipe that could eliminate any need for a box cake mix. There are so many fabulous recipes floating around out there for all sorts of cake batter-flavored goodies, but I always balked at them because I hated to buy box cake mix. Now that that’s no longer an issue, I’m in cake batter heaven. The first thing I wanted to do with my new mix was throw together a batch of chocolate bark. I’ve been a huge fan of chocolate bark since discovering peppermint bark around the holidays six or seven years ago. Since then, I’ve enjoyed playing around with tons of different flavors, and this cake batter sprinkles version is my new favorite.

I loved this idea when I saw it floating around on Pinterest and after following some link trails, I wasn’t surprised at all to find that originated with Jessica. She’s the queen of sprinkles! I loved the idea and adapted it for my go-to chocolate bark formula. I’ve always loved bark that combines semisweet or dark chocolate along with white, and the cake batter flavor with sprinkles gives this bark such a fun, festive taste.

I always mention this when I make bark using white chocolate, but it’s definitely important – use the highest quality white chocolate that you can find. It makes such a big difference; the higher the quality, the better the flavor and the easier it will be to melt. I do not recommend white chocolate chips for making bark; they have a tendency to seize and end up clumpy. My favorite brands of white chocolate for bark are Lindt and Ghiradelli.

Summer may be over, which may mean an end to soft serve ice cream cones, but it doesn’t mean you have to give up sprinkles!

One year ago: Pumpkin Fudge
Two years ago: White Sicilian Pizza with Flaky, Pastry-Style Crust
Three years ago: Peach Crumb Bars
Four years ago: Chicken Pot Pie
Five years ago: Chili-Rice Bowl

Cake Batter Chocolate Bark

Yield: 2 lbs of chocolate bark

Ingredients:

1 pound semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 pound white chocolate, finely chopped
4 teaspoons yellow cake mix
Rainbow sprinkles

Directions:

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. Melt the semisweet chocolate over a double boiler (or in 30-second intervals in the microwave on 50% power, stirring after each). Spread the chocolate mixture onto the prepared pan in an even layer (depending on the size of the pan and how thick you’d like your bark, you may not need the entire surface of the pan). Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until set.

3. Melt the white chocolate over a double boiler (or in 30-second intervals in the microwave on 50% power, stirring after each). Whisk the cake mix into the melted white chocolate until it's smooth and no lumps remain. Let it sit for about 3 minutes to thicken slightly.

4. Remove the pan of semisweet chocolate from the refrigerator and pour the white chocolate over top. Use an offset spatula to spread the white chocolate evenly over the chocolate below. Immediately sprinkle the rainbow sprinkles on the surface of the white chocolate. Return the pan to the refrigerator and allow to set for at least 30 minutes, up to 1 hour. Once set, use a sharp knife to cut into pieces or break apart. Store the bark in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

(Recipe adapted from How Sweet It Is)

34 Responses to “Cake Batter & Sprinkles Chocolate Bark”

1. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on September 25, 2012 at 1:03 am

I have always wanted to try this since I saw it popping up on Pinterest. Rainbow Sprinkles make me happy! Thanks for the tip on the white chocolate…I’ve tried melting white chocolate chips before and it was not pretty…

2. Diane on September 25, 2012 at 1:03 am

In Step #3 you say to melt the semisweet chocolate but I think you mean the white chocolate. Correct?

• Michelle on September 25th, 2012 at 9:49 am

Hi Diane, Yes, that should be white. I made the change above so the recipe now reads correctly. Thank you for catching that!

3. j3nn on September 25, 2012 at 1:18 am

You’re barking up the right tree with this one! Yum!!

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks on September 25, 2012 at 1:20 am

Two kinds of chocolate, sprinkles, and cake mix. YES!

And no-bake. Even better!

5. Villy @ For the love of Feeding on September 25, 2012 at 7:08 am

Wow, 4 ingredients and voila! No excuse not to try them! :)

6. Liz @ Tip Top Shape on September 25, 2012 at 7:59 am

I love chocolate bark like this!!! Great recipe :D

7. Andrea S on September 25, 2012 at 8:04 am

Easy peezy! I’m going to try this soon! And obviously step no.3 means white chocolate…

• Michelle on September 25th, 2012 at 9:49 am

Hi Andrea, Yes, my mistake, I’ve changed it above. Thank you for the catch!

8. Diane on September 25, 2012 at 8:04 am

I love that it’s totally customizable…just use different sprinkles for Christmas/Thanksgiving/Halloween/Easter/baby showers/weddings…and even adding almond oil to the white chocolate might make it taste like wedding cake batter bark!!!

9. Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks on September 25, 2012 at 8:08 am

I can’t believe I’ve never tried bark, but this looks so fun that I have to give it a try!

10. Jessica@AKitchenAddiction on September 25, 2012 at 8:48 am

Sprinkles are necessary all year round! I love how this bark has cake batter in it!

11. Ann on September 25, 2012 at 9:42 am

Beautiful bark, but what does the cake mix add to the recipe? It seems like 4 teaspoons is so scant, it wouldn’t be noticed if it was left out.

• Michelle on September 25th, 2012 at 9:48 am

Hi Ann, It adds the flavor of cake batter. You can certainly up the amount if you’d like.

12. colleen @ Secrets fromthe Cookie Princess on September 25, 2012 at 10:53 am

Perfect! A bark for birthdays and every fun occasion!

13. Katie @ Blonde Ambition on September 25, 2012 at 1:33 pm

What a great spin on one of my favorites (peppermint chocolate bark). Love the sprinkles!

14. Nikki @Pennies on a Platter on September 25, 2012 at 4:56 pm

And, thank YOU for another way I can use my DIY cake mix! :)

15. Transportation Services New Jersey on September 25, 2012 at 6:03 pm

OMG… these look so fun!!!

16. Transportation Services New Jersey on September 25, 2012 at 6:03 pm

OMG… these look so fun!!! What a perfect addition to a birthday celebration!!

17. maddy on September 25, 2012 at 7:06 pm

OMG!!! that looks so good will be making this some time :)!!!!!

18. Kristen on September 26, 2012 at 3:43 am

What a neat twist on chocolate bark

19. Baker Program on September 26, 2012 at 7:01 am

Interesting topic! Thanks for sharing this information! I also like “Cake Batter & Sprinkles Chocolate Bark” for the title. Thank you for the info Michelle.

20. Anna Beller on September 26, 2012 at 9:49 pm

yummy :) I like it so much, in the photo it seems soooo tasty! I’m sure that I will try it :) Then I will start my diet :P

21. Renee on September 27, 2012 at 1:26 am

I’ve always wanted to try to make my own chocolate bark. This looks like a perfectly delicious place to start.

22. heidi on October 1, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Great recipe and so easy. Thanks for sharing.

Buy Here Pay Here

23. Ardex Cp Concrete Patch on October 6, 2012 at 11:19 am

Birthday treats for work on Tuesday :)

24. Tracey on October 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm

I added peanut butter the the white chocolate mix and it is amazing! I call it Reeces Bark. SO yummy!!!!!!!!!!!

25. JB on December 9, 2012 at 8:26 pm

so you don’t have to miss out on the cones, what about crumbling up those & adding them along with the sprinkles? may just have to try that.

26. prestamossinproblemas on September 29, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Amazing! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It’s on a completely different topic but it has pretty much
    the same page layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!

27. Luv What You Do on November 15, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Oh yum!
    This looks fantastic!

28. shannon on November 28, 2013 at 11:15 am

How many pieces is 2lbs roughly? Thinking of making some for some neat Christmas gifts but not sure how much i will need to make.

thanks
    Shannon

• Michelle on November 30th, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Hi Shannon, It all depends on how large you make the pieces. I’ve seen bite-size pieces of bark, and larger pieces. Just personal preference.

29. sam on April 28, 2014 at 11:09 am

Hi, i just came across your recipe and ive decided to use it for a class project…
    I was just wondering if this would make enough bark for a class of 24 kids. i dont need big portions. just enough for them to try it. please let me know if it makes that much.

thanks

• Michelle on April 29th, 2014 at 11:30 am

Hi Sam, This is definitely enough for 24 if you are only looking to do small pieces.