The Weekend Dish 10/13/2012

Happy weekend to you! I hope that you all had a great week and are ready for a relaxing weekend! I’m planning on conducting my own personal “throwdown” this weekend with some chocolate chip cookies. I’ve been using the same recipe for the past three or four years, but Cook’s Illustrated has since created an updated version, and there are a couple of other chocolate chip cookie recipes floating around the Internet that have gotten rave reviews. I’m going to make the different recipes and then, along with some willing friends and family members, do some taste testing to see which recipe comes out on top. It’s a tough job, but someone has to do it ;-)  I’ll be reporting my results here next week!

The site is also going to be getting a facelift this week – the look will be a little updated, and there are going to be some fantastic new features that I think you’re going to love! The new layout should be rolled out this coming Friday morning, so hopefully by lunchtime you’ll be able to poke around the new digs!

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins – Fantastic pumpkin muffins that are baked and then coated in a cinnamon-sugar mixture. They taste just like doughnuts!

Butternut Squash & Bacon Mac n’ Cheese – I can’t get enough of macaroni and cheese, and this fall-inspired dish with butternut squash and bacon is perfect for this time of year!

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Scones – Peanut butter and chocolate are a match made in heaven; throw in oats and you have a glorious trifecta. These scones are a great excuse to get a cookie fix for breakfast!

Mushroom Lasagna – I grew up eating traditional lasagna with ricotta cheese and red meat sauce; this mushroom version with béchamel sauce blew me away!

Most Viewed Post This Week: Top 10 List: Favorite Cupcake Recipes

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes and posts from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like, too:

Apple Pie Bread (My Baking Addiction)
I adore the idea of this bread! Between banana bread and pumpkin bread, lost is the wonder of apple bread. This version sounds fantastic!

Caramel Apple Cinnamon Rolls (Dulce Dough)
I love cinnamon rolls, with their pillowy-soft dough, cinnamon swirls and gooey icing. A caramel apple rendition is pure genius!

Chocolate Donuts with Salted Caramel Icing (Table For Two)
I have been seeing doughnuts everywhere lately and I’m itching to try my hand at some flavors. This is such a perfect combination!

Pumpkin Spice Caramels (Confections of a Foodie Bride)
I finally managed to churn out a perfect batch of caramels with the Salted Mexican Chocolate-Chile Caramels back in the spring; I think a pumpkin variation will be my next candy-making experiment!

Spiced Pear Cake with Browned Butter Icing (Recipe Girl)
So many people are baking with apples this time of year, it’s great to see a recipe make use of pears, which I always feel are totally underrated. They’re such a fantastic cool-weather fruit, and this cake looks and sounds fabulous!

What was the best thing you ate this week??

Have a delicious weekend!

14 Responses to “The Weekend Dish 10/13/2012”

1. Kristen on October 13, 2012 at 12:29 am

Can’t wait to see the results of the throwdown. There’s nothing like a good chocolate chip cookie!

2. Michelle C. on October 13, 2012 at 12:42 am

I had a hankering for chocolate chip cookies, but now I’ll wait for your results. mmmmmmmmm……chocolate chip cookies!

3. Victoria on October 13, 2012 at 12:51 am

I’m so glad you’re trying out new c.c cookie recipes; the chewy chocolate chip one from cooks illustrated used to be my all time favorite too, until I tried the NY times recipe…soooo good!! The best thing I ate on this site? That’s too hard; I’ve tried SO many of them!! A couple of my favorites are your pumpkin scones and pumpkin muffins! I’m going to make your muffins again tomorrow! Have a great weekend!

4. Maria on October 13, 2012 at 6:26 am

I wish I could participate in your throwdown! I, too, have loved the Cook’s Illustrated recipe, I have tried the NY Times recipe, but both are still not perfect to me. My family thinks I am nuts, so I am glad to read this post and look forward to your results. I am looking for crispy outside, chewey inside with some height to the cookie. I was was reading a Levain Bakery copy-cat recipe that looked good, but I have never been to the bakery. Good luck!

5. Kylie Fisher on October 13, 2012 at 8:04 am

I love your website and looking forward to your new website designed website on Friday. As im from England i find it hard sometime to find true conversions for some of your recipes and when i have converted them they sometimes do not come out as good. I was wondering if you could provide me with a link or put conversions on your new designed blog so that i could bake all of your fabulous recipes which you post and make my mouth water every time.

6. icakepops on October 13, 2012 at 8:07 am

Oh the butternut squash and bacon Mac n cheese looks amazing! I love to sneak veggies into a dish. Just delicious!

7. Laura Dembowski on October 13, 2012 at 8:23 am

Can’t wait to see your updates to your site :)

8. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on October 13, 2012 at 8:58 am

Ohhh cookies!!! Sounds like a fun weekend!!!

9. Lori @ RecipeGirl on October 13, 2012 at 9:45 am

Hey, thanks for the mention! I want Jamie’s Apple Pie Bread!

10. Rachelanne on October 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm

The NY times recipe is very good, but… in a taste test of my own, YOUR recipe, with the dough sitting in the fridge 48 hours, was the clear winner…

11. Loretta E on October 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Can’t wait for the chocolate chip throw down! Everybody says theirs is the best, so who are we to trust?! Although I can say that a bad one is rare.

12. Katie @ Blonde Ambition on October 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

My family suffered a loss last week, so when we all gathered together for the first time on Thursday, I made two loaves of chocolate chip pumpkin bread to share with them. I was blown away at how delicious it was!

13. Alisa on October 15, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I made Rice Krispie treats and added 1/2 cup Cookie butter! It was the best Rice Krispie treat ever!

14. Michelle on October 17, 2012 at 10:34 am

Hi Kylie, Thank you for the suggestion! I am working on making conversions a little easier for those not in the U.S.