10 Awesome Foodie Gift Ideas (2012)

This is the second installment of my gift guides for the holiday season. Last week I shared with you tons of bestselling cookbooks and kitchen toys, and this week I am sharing some “off the beaten path” foodie gift ideas. They aren’t bestsellers on Amazon, and they aren’t your typical go-to gifts like stand mixers, spatulas or flavored dipping oils. They’re unique, a little quirky and definitely fun. I hope you enjoy browsing them as much as I enjoyed putting the list together for you!

1. Anthropologie

Anthropologie is one of my latest and greatest retail loves. They have extremely unique home decor and kitchen items, and most times I wish I could buy the entire store! From hand-painted measuring cups to cute measuring spoons, owl cookie jars and colorful fruit baskets, there is no shortage of ideas for the people in your life that love to spend time in the kitchen.

2. Apple-Tree-To-Be Kit

An apple-tree-to-be kit is a perfect gift for anyone that has recently been bitten by the gardening bug and might want to branch out (no pun intended!) into fruit trees. Everything you need to get started is right here!

3. Brooklyn Slate Company Cheese Boards

The Brooklyn Slate Company sells a large variety of slate cheese boards, along with accessories and supplies for a fabulous wine and cheese evening. Everything on their website is gorgeous, and completely worthy of adding to a holiday wish list.

4. Cuppow Mason Jar Travel Lids

If you or someone you know is positively enamored with mason jars, these travel lids from Cuppow are a must-buy. They easily transform any mason jar into a travel mug, and you can even buy lids that will accommodate straws.

5. DavidsTea

Do you know someone who always asks for tea after dinner, instead of coffee? If so, you have to check out DAVIDsTEA; they have an huge variety of loose leaf teas, which you can purchase individually or in gift collections. Their holiday tea collection is currently sold out, but definitely check out The Winter Tea Collection, which includes teas like Alpine Punch, Banana Dream Pie, Chocolate Chili Chai, Cocomint Cream and Cookie Dough. Yum!

6. Glass Straws by Glass Dharma

Maybe it’s the kid in me, but I love drinking out of a straw, especially if I’m drinking a carbonated beverage or something thick, like a smoothie or milkshake. Unless you keep a steady stock of straws in the house or grab a handful from the office kitchen, chances are you don’t have straws laying around your house. Enter these glass straws from Glass Dharma. Seriously genius (and green)! They come in a variety of diameters and lengths, so you can accommodate whatever type of drink or glass you use. I’d love some of these!

7. Lunch Skins Reusable Sandwich Bags

I made a big step last year and purchased a set of reusable grocery bags, which I absolutely love. Since then, I’ve sought out opportunities to replace disposable items with reusable ones. I was thrilled when I recently stumbled upon these reusable sandwich bags from Lunch Skins. The bags can be easily washed in the dishwasher, are BPA-free and come in tons of different designs. You can purchase them in multiple sizes – sandwich, snack and sub – so no matter what the size of the lunch or snack or need to pack, you’re covered.

8. MistoBox Coffee Subscription

A fabulous coffee-of-the-month club for your favorite coffee drinker. Much like a wine-of-the-month club, each month the gift recipient will receive hand-selected coffees from four unique artisan coffee roasters from across the country. Also included are coffee tasting tips and roaster bios. You can purchase the subscription on a monthly, 6-month or yearly basis.

9. Nudo Italia Adopt an Olive Tree

I have shared this gift idea in previous gift guides, but I love it so much I keep having to throw it out there. Nudo, an olive grove in Italy, allows customers to “adopt” a tree in the grove (you can even pick out which section), and then receive a year’s supply of olive oil from the tree you selected. My Chief Culinary Consultant did this for his parents a couple of years ago, and they loved it (we all loved the olive oil). Along with the Adopt-an-Olive-Tree program, Nudo also has a large selection of Italian goods and gifts available for purchase on their website.

10. Prodyne Ice Fruit Pitcher

If you (or someone you’re buying for) love to jazz up boring water with a splash of lemon, cucumber, or other fruits, then this iced fruit infusion pitcher is for you. The removable fruit column on the right is filled with fruit, and tiny holes in the column allow the fruit juice to combine with the water. There is also a center ice column that can be repeatedly frozen so that drinks remain chilled without being diluted.

*Bonus Gift Idea! BarkBox (for your favorite four-legged friend)

I saw this a few weeks ago and had to include it in the gift guide for those of you that buy gifts for your own pets, or maybe for the pet of a family member. With BarkBox, you choose the dog’s size and the subscription length (from monthly to 6-months), and once a month your dog will receive a box in the mail with at least four hand-selected presents. It could be anything from bones and treats to leashes, shampoos and new gadgets. The best part is that at least 10% of all proceeds go to a local shelter or rescue.

What’s on your wish list this year?

Have you come across any new and unique items while shopping?

39 Responses to “10 Awesome Foodie Gift Ideas (2012)”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks on December 10, 2012 at 12:21 am

I love Anthro and live about 1 mile from one. It’s a bit too close for comfort…for my budget that is. I set a monthly Anthro budget and just have to tell.myself.no.more after a certain point but omg I love the place.

Great list!

2. One More Bite on December 10, 2012 at 5:10 am

Great list!!! I’m a big Anthropologie fan as well, and love the Nudo Adopt an Olive Tree and get a year’s supply of oil from it idea – so awesome! I found some cool DIY cheese, molecular mixology and customizable wine-lovers’ cork display kits that would make cool gifts as well – here’s my list: http://onemorebiteblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/holiday-bites-top-10-gift-ideas-for.html

3. Sheila Buckley on December 10, 2012 at 6:01 am

Love, love,love your gift ideas.

4. Cheryl on December 10, 2012 at 7:38 am

Great idea, thanks!

5. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on December 10, 2012 at 8:02 am

Do you realize that I want just about everything here! Meaning I want to shop for me!! I”m sending your post to my Husband today!! I love the apple tree and the traveling mason jar cups!!

6. Laura L on December 10, 2012 at 8:16 am

Awesome ideas! I have been at wit’s end trying to find a unique gift for my daughter and your fortuitous email gave me an excellent idea. I’m signing up for the Barkbox subscription for her & the abandoned dog she took in about 3 months ago. I’m sure she’ll love it, she’s just crazy about the little guy! Thank you so much.

7. Sara on December 10, 2012 at 8:28 am

I just ordered a cheese platter from Brooklyn Slate for my mom. I didn’t realize how popular they were!

8. Melissa on December 10, 2012 at 9:39 am

After seeing your post about Anthropologie I ordered myself the measuring cups and spoons!! Too cute.

9. trang on December 10, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thanks for you ideas! I am a huge anthro fan and love all their kitchen stuff and adorable clothing!

10. Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom on December 10, 2012 at 10:31 am

OMG, LOVE the Bark Box!!!!

11. marie//littlekitchie on December 10, 2012 at 10:36 am

I adore ALL of Anthro’s kitchen items!! They make a perfect gift to give or get. This is a great list!

12. Courtney @ Bake. Eat. Repeat. on December 10, 2012 at 10:37 am

What a great list! I absolutely LOVE the adopt an olive tree idea and I just saw those sippable mason jar lids a few weeks ago. How adorable! Thanks for sharing!

13. JackieToo on December 10, 2012 at 10:47 am

Are you like me and still blow bubbles when you use a straw? ;) I really like the idea of the Apple-Tree-to-Be Kit… a really cute way to give such a gift. Another thing: Do any of you have the kind of jelly that comes in jars with handles in your area? I was just thinking that if you used one of those with that sipper top, it would be even more user friendly.

Thanks for all the great ideas as usual!

14. tabitha on December 10, 2012 at 10:56 am

I really enjoyed this list!! You did an awesome job at putting this together and I thank you for introducing me to David’s Tea!!

15. CynthiaBrooks on December 10, 2012 at 10:59 am

Great suggestions! I would LOVE a Kindle fire for Christmas!

16. Melissa on December 10, 2012 at 11:32 am

Great list! Will definitely check out Nudo.

To add to the list- “Make your own Gin” kit

17. Jacque on December 10, 2012 at 11:55 am

The Adopt-an-Olive-Tree sounds perfect for my mom! Thanks!

18. Kristin on December 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I used your ideas last year and adopted an olive tree for my parents, and they loved it. Nudo has also changed the way they do it this year where you can pick which season you will receive a shipment instead of just the spring and fall ones. I was going to do it again this year, but instead I decided on spending my money so I can go to Barcelona for 10 weeks…

19. Dedra on December 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I love this. I want everything, especially the measuring
    Cups. But I also wish I could afford to buys for everyone. These are such unique ideas. Thanks for helping think outside the box.

20. vballer on December 10, 2012 at 1:21 pm

david’s tea is something i want to try! there seem to be a lot of good reviews about it!
    &&& the mini cupcake ornament is adorable! i’m going to need to go out and get one for my tree!

21. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on December 10, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I want those antrophologie fruit baskets!

22. ByMichaela on December 10, 2012 at 1:41 pm

I would love some glass straws for my Daughter for Christmas but can’t seem to got them in the UK. Pooh!
    Love the idea of the apple tree wannabe too – can’t get that either but it actrally says may not bear fruit for some years so maybe not that big a loss. My son loves apple’s, eating 2 a day send Mo’re if we let him. We’ve made him laugh saying he”ll wee cider :)

23. Jacque H. on December 10, 2012 at 2:46 pm

I am definitely getting a Barkbox for us! I found a few coupons online for $5 off, so score!

24. Rachel @ Baked by Rachel on December 10, 2012 at 3:51 pm

So many fun ideas!

25. Sarah on December 10, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I’ve been wanting to get a BarkBox subscription for my dog for a while – such a cute idea!

26. Brel on December 10, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Thanks for the great list. What I am really curious about is how the cupcake ornament was made. Any idea? Thanks.

• Michelle on December 11th, 2012 at 12:21 am

Hi Brel, I’m not sure how it was made. My mom bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago, and I know she got it from Sur La Table.

27. Felechia on December 10, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I got a Nudo olive oil subscription for Christmas last year and it was fantastic. I am currently hoarding the last can of oil.

28. StarvingBitch on December 10, 2012 at 8:57 pm

The lunch skins are awesome!

29. Patty Englin on December 10, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Thanks for the list of really unique ideas!!!

30. Danita Rayhbuck on December 10, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Just ordered some Lunchkins for my sister for her birthday!! Love that idea!!

31. Aubrie on December 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm

This is always one of my favorite/least favorite posts that you do every year! You always find the most awesome ideas, but the problem is that I want to buy them all!

32. Dana Smith on December 11, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Love this! The olive oil is really unique, and the bark box (I have a Birchbox subscription) is super smart since our pup goes through toys like water. Thanks for the great tips!

33. Mal @ The Chic Geek on December 11, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I love all the kitchen stuff at anthropolgie!

34. Karen on December 11, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Hi this sounds funny but true it’s a book called The Menapause Makeover.
    Thanks

35. Candice on December 12, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Hi Michelle,

Great list! I love the cupcake ornament. I was going to ask where you purchased it, but saw you had already answered that question in a response to another blogger/subscriber. =)

36. T on December 12, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Love the ideas! My mom will enjoy the mason jar lids! We’ve been searching high and low for them but could never find anything until now. THANK YOU!

37. Melissa B on December 13, 2012 at 1:51 am

Huge fan of the Nudo Adapt an Olive Tree! I’ve given it to a family member for Christmas and a friend as a wedding gift. Both were in LOVE.

38. Ally on December 24, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Just bought a Cuppow for me and another for my husband.. it is a great way to make use of the empty mason jars that collect in our kitchen through the winter months. Thanks for the suggestion!