The Weekend Dish: 1/12/13

Happy weekend! We’re in the midst of some crazy mild weather for January, which I think is Mother Nature’s way of letting me know that it’s a perfect weekend to take down the Christmas lights and get all of the decorations put away. Ho hum. Truth be told, I would love to leave them up all year. As they say, all good things must come to an end. ‘Til next year! What are you up to this weekend?

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Soft Pretzels – I am totally addicted to soft pretzels and after going through multiple soft pretzel recipes, I’ve finally found a favorite!

Soft Pretzels

Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies – My favorite thick and chewy oatmeal cookies loaded up with tons of chocolate chips.

Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies

Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon, Mushrooms & Hard-Boiled Eggs – A fabulous salad from my great-grandmother’s recipe archives.

Warm Spinach Salad with Bacon, Mushrooms & Hard-Boiled Eggs

All-American Beef Chili – I crave chili during the winter and was happy to finally discover a thick, perfectly-spiced chili that’s both easy and familiar.

All-American Beef Chili

Friday Things – Jury duty, Christmas decorations, cravings, truffles, and more!

Friday Things

Most Viewed Post This Week: Top 10 List: Favorite Cupcake Recipes

Most Pinned Post This Week: Soft Pretzels

Most Emailed Post This Week: Loaded Baked Potato Dip

Most Facebook Shared Post This Week: Peanut Butter Doggie Bones

Most Tweeted Post This Week: Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip Cookies

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes and posts from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like, too:

Banana Peanut Butter Pie (Bourbonnatrix Bakes)
I love banana cream pies. I love peanut butter pies. I love eating bananas with peanut butter. Would I love this recipe? As the Magic 8 ball would say, “Signs point to yes”.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Hot Fudge Sauce (Love and Olive Oil)
The only thing better than hot fudge drizzled on vanilla ice cream would be this chocolate peanut butter hot fudge sauce drizzled on vanilla ice cream. I will be making this happen.

Cranberry Streusel Almond Coffee Cake (A Cup of Mascarpone)
Coffee cakes always remind me of my grandma, and I love trying new recipes. I love this seasonal version made with cranberries. It looks amazing!

Dark Chocolate Salted Peanut Butter Brownies (Living Locurto)
I’ve been dying for brownies lately, and these have my name all.over.them.

Mongolian Beef (Table for Two)
I adore Chinese food and have been trying some homemade versions; I’m adding this one to my list of must-makes. Totally drool-worthy.

What was the best thing you ate this week??

Have a delicious weekend!

11 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 1/12/13”

1. Anne on January 12, 2013 at 12:39 am

I made beef Chili the last week of Dec. Will try yours next. Love the soft pretzel receipe! Thanks!! And I totally agree with the idea of leaving Christmas tree and decorations all year, but then I thought, my neighbours may think I’m a little bit whacko, instead of knowing how much I just really love Christmas. It took me about 2 hours to de-decorate the tree, as I spent time with almost each decoration thinking of where it came from!! :) Happy Day to you!! :)

2. Tamara on January 12, 2013 at 2:08 am

A little note to thank you for posting so often! I have an exam today and I’m totally ready now that I got inspired by your post. It’s getting warmer around here so I’ll think of something nice to do this afternoon :)
    Keep posting!! Happy Week-end!

3. LJ Dubois on January 12, 2013 at 4:39 am

Hi Michelle, Try not to be too sad as you “un-deck the halls”. I am sure that Einstein will be a big help! (our 3 kitties Yuki, Bianca and Stormi just LOVE our trees–we have 3 including a white ceramic one in our bedroom!) BTW—loved the pic of your Nativity*_* You remind me of our daughter Jenn—she is about your age and loves the holidays season as much as you do. In fact, since she moved back with us to attend grad school, she and her dad do all the exterior lights and decos. She is a 1/2 Italian (me) and 1/4 French and Irish (her dad) and a great baker and cook, too! She is also a huge sports fan like you—the Pats are in the playoffs this weekend, so you know that we will all be in front of the TV!! If you ever travel to the Boston area, let us know! We will take you to a Bruins game! Happy Weekend !

• Michelle on January 15th, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Aw, I’ll take that as a compliment! :) Thank you for the offer for the Bruins game; I’ll let you know if I ever make it up to New England!

4. Laura Dembowski on January 12, 2013 at 8:39 am

It’s my dad’s birthday today, so we’ll be celebrating that. I think the Christmas decorations are staying up another week.. I keep saying how I wish they could stay up all year.

5. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on January 12, 2013 at 9:26 am

Those pretzels are calling me!! Have a great weekend!

6. Melanie on January 12, 2013 at 9:39 am

Yes, it is a bummer to have to take down the Christmas decorations. Mine are staying up at least another week, though. I just can’t bear to take them down yet. The up side though, is that the stores are full of Valentine’s Day decorations :) Hobby Lobby is just full of them. I will be recovering from my first macaron making adventure yesterday. It was stressful, but fulfilling! I think hubby and I will mosey off to Starbucks this AM and then off to check out lighting fixtures for the kitchen. Enjoy the warm weather while it lasts!!

7. Steph in Lex on January 12, 2013 at 10:32 am

We just took our tree down a couple of days ago. Our 22-month-old took it surprisingly well, although he seemed pretty confused about it leaving. I know he’ll miss lighting it every day–for him, it seemed like it was the Rockefeller Center tree-lighting ceremony every day! I definitely miss it…

8. MollyCakes on January 12, 2013 at 11:09 am

I share in your love of peanut butter, chocolate, and bananas! Together they are through the roof! And I know how you feel about the Christmas decorations, we took out tree down because we went one vacation. Other than the tree everything else is still up!

9. bourbonnatrix on January 12, 2013 at 3:15 pm

thanks for linking my banana peanut butter pie!

10. Leslie on January 13, 2013 at 10:53 am

I adore every recipe of yours & reading through your posts!!! Thank you for all of your recipes and funnies!