Friday Things

Mac & Short Ribs @ 1947 Tavern in Pittsburgh, PA

1. Tuesday was my sister’s birthday (Happy Birthday, sister!), so we all enjoyed a nice dinner out to celebrate. We went to 1947 Tavern in Pittsburgh, where I devoured that mac & short ribs dish you see above. Ordering that (with the helpful encouragement of my Chief Culinary Consultant!) was probably the best decision I made that day. Insanely good.

2. This past Wednesday was my 3rd golf lesson, which means they’re already halfway over! This week our instructor videotaped our swings and then played them back, comparing them side-by-side with a professional golfer and explaining (through “telestration“) what we were doing well and what we need to work on. It was super helpful! Here I am taking a big ol’ swing:

Analyzing my golf swing

Apparently, my stance is good and I don’t move my head while I’m swinging (good!), but when I take the club back it needs to be above, not below, my shoulder. My homework this week is to hit golf balls. Local drivings ranges, look out!

3. I just discovered thesweettooth.co and I am loving their whimsical kitchen-themed products. I need this “Keep Calm and Eat Pie” t-shirt!

4. A few weeks ago, I shared a link to how to give a reflexology foot massage. Afterward, the folks at Clark Wellness contacted me to see if I’d like to try out their Reflex Wave foot massager. I said sure, and they sent one out to me. Let me tell you, it is amazing. After standing in the kitchen all day, my feet are usually killing me. I’ve been using the foot massager and it is like night and day once I finish my little massage session. I can’t believe how much better they feel and how much more relaxed my entire body is! Huge thumbs up!

5. My strawberry plant from last year has been re-born, and yesterday I noticed that it already has a blossom! Bring on the fresh strawberries!

Strawberry Plant - 5/2/2013

6. The Pittsburgh Marathon is being held this weekend and I just learned yesterday of an amazing local story. A man whose 7-year-old daughter was born premature and blind will be running the entire race – all 26.2 miles – blindfolded, in honor of his daughter and to raise awareness for the Vision Research ROPARD Foundation. You can read all about his story here.

7. Is anyone familiar with Stitch Fix? It’s basically an online shopping service where you fill out a “style profile”, set your price range, and you get five clothing items sent to you at home. The premise is to try them on, keep what you like, send back what you don’t. I’m totally intrigued by this since I’m a pretty boring shopper and rarely buy anything outside of the same three or four stores, plus trying on at home totally trumps mall dressing rooms. I’m thinking about giving it a try! If you’ve used it, I’d love to hear your feedback!

8. This week the Stanley Cup playoffs began, which is one of my favorite times of the year. I’m thrilled to be going to the Penguins’ 2nd game tonight versus the Islanders! Each year around this time, my sister starts sending me these e-cards… I think she’s trying to tell me I might be a tad bit obsessed with the playoffs ;-)

NHL Playoffs

Penguins playoffs

9. Did you see that Maria and Josh got little baby chicks? They’re going to have their own chickens for fresh eggs!

10. TGIF! Get out and enjoy the sun! Someone I know is a professional sunbather…

Einstein sunning himself

27 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Tieghan on May 3, 2013 at 12:16 am

You are going to be a golfing pro soon! Look out tiger woods!

2. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on May 3, 2013 at 12:31 am

Congrats on your strawberry plant, can’t wait to watch you get some berries off it!
    I’m dying to try the Foot & Calf Massager, foot massages are my weakness. If I can’t get one, I will send my husband the diagram on giving a good massage! :)

3. Coleen on May 3, 2013 at 1:01 am

I am about to get my fifth “fix” and I love it. I am usually very cheap and boring with my clothes so it’s a bit of a splurge (though you can tell them you want lower priced items). I have kept all five items in one, and two on the other two. I wore one of the shirts last weekend and my husband noticed and said it was now one his favorite shirts on me. They send things I would never think to buy but end of loving. I get my next box on Saturday and I can’t wait!

4. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat on May 3, 2013 at 8:10 am

Strawberries are one of my most favorite summer fruits! Fresh strawberries from the garden are the best! I hope yours do well this year! I’m so loving this beautiful weather!

5. Terri on May 3, 2013 at 8:11 am

Enjoy the game and Let’ s Go PENS!!!

• Terri on May 3rd, 2013 at 11:29 am

And WHOO HOO Sid is back on the ice tonight!!

• Michelle on May 3rd, 2013 at 2:04 pm

YES! I was so excited when I heard!

6. Carina on May 3, 2013 at 8:51 am

Good luck with your golf lessons!
    Strawberrys!!!! Lucky you!! I used to grow the tiny tiny variety in hangingbaskets in the UK in between the Pansies. They all loved it and it looks so pretty.
    And last, but not least, what is this gorgeous looking dogs name? Carina

• Michelle on May 3rd, 2013 at 2:23 pm

His name is Einstein :)

7. mommabean on May 3, 2013 at 8:54 am

I love strawberries! Are they easy to grow and do you need a ton of space?

I had my first “Fix” last week and immediately signed up for another, which should be arriving next week. I kept one of the five things they sent and loved everything. I sent the rest back due to a couple of sizing issues. Try it, it’s fun! Here’s a referral link if you need one: http://stitchfix.com/sign_up?referrer_id=3085583

LET’S GO RED WINGS! ;)

• Michelle on May 3rd, 2013 at 2:22 pm

There are insanely easy to grow! As far as space needs, it really depends on how much you want to grow. I just bought one strawberry plant last year as an experiment and put it in a half-barrel sort of planting container. They did great! If you wanted to grow a ton, you’d want more space as they do like to crawl.

Thank you for the info on Stitch Fix! I will use your referral link. Happy hockey playoffs to you, as well! :)

8. Jennifer on May 3, 2013 at 8:58 am

Golf lessons, strawberries and hockey… life is good :)

Between playoffs and hockey try-outs for my boys, I think I’ve been dreaming hockey… can’t get away from it, even in my sleep!

¤´¨)
    ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•`¤… Jennifer
    Jenn’s Random Scraps

9. Gary on May 3, 2013 at 9:11 am

How amazing is the father running the race blindfolded, I hope he will raise lots of money for his cause.

10. Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona on May 3, 2013 at 10:05 am

The last game I saw had the Penguins beating the Islanders 4 or 5 nothing. Crazy!

11. Marcie @ Flavor The Moments on May 3, 2013 at 10:15 am

My grandmother always used to give us Reflexology foot massages when we were kids. That foot massager sounds VERY nice! Your golf swing looks really good! It’s always tough being compared to Tiger, right? Very inspiring story about the man running the marathon blind-folded. I will read that story!

12. Kristina on May 3, 2013 at 10:48 am

I just spent an hour reading thru other’s posts about Stitch Fix only to fill out their profile and find out there’s a wait list! Bummer!

I need that “Where there’s a whisk there’s a way” apron at thesweettooth!

13. Tiff on May 3, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Love those e-cards. I promptly sent one to my husband. He’s loved the Penguins since he was a little kid (even though he’s from Utah!).

14. Aimee @ ShugarySweets on May 3, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I LOVE stitch fix. Just wrote about today on my blog, LOL. I’ve had TWO fixes and love their choices. Totally not something I’d pick for myself, but cute cute stuff.

15. Maryz on May 3, 2013 at 4:52 pm

I love stitch fix. I have gotten some really cute stuff that I would never have picked out for myself. I’m a horrible shopper! I get too overwhelmed with choices and end up going home with nothing! Every box has had at least one item I absolutely have loved!

16. Andi on May 3, 2013 at 5:28 pm

Woot! Playoff hockey! My Preds had a terrible, horrible, no-good, very bad season so they’re playing golf right now, but can’t wait ’til October!

17. Siunna on May 3, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Hi Michelle! I’ve been reading Brown Eyed Baker for quite a while but I never left a comment (my bad)..just wanted to thank you for all the wonderful recipes, tips and meticulous instructions! I made the Bananas Foster Banana Bread last night and my family declared it was the BEST banana bread ever to grace the table! Thanks again so much!!

18. Laura on May 4, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Congrats on your plant – my strawberry plant has 2-small strawberries and another flower. I got so excited I went out and bought another plant. I have them in one of those hanging upside down holders. Hopefully this year we will get some berries!!

19. Megan on May 4, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Hello! Thanks for the link to Stitch Fix. I’ve used Tog+Porter and love them. They send you a box and then you have a Skype session with your stylist. There is no fee and you only pay for what you keep.

20. Laura Dembowski on May 4, 2013 at 10:56 pm

Must try that foot massager! The link about the marathon was so interesting. Some people are truly special!

21. Sue Q on May 4, 2013 at 11:00 pm