Friday Things

Water droplets

1. I’ve always wanted to take photos of water droplets with my macro lens and a few mornings ago I saw some picture-perfect droplets sitting on leaves. I grabbed my camera and got a few good pictures. I take so many pictures of food, that sometimes I have to remind myself to expand my photography horizons.

2. Last Friday, my mom and I went to get pedicures after she got home from work. I sat down and started playing around on my phone, checking email, etc. I realized after a few minutes that I have a terrible time unplugging, so I put my phone away, closed my eyes and just relaxed. It was a wonderfully relaxing hour, and a reminder that I need to put away the electronics more often!

3. I hope that all of you mom’s had a wonderful Mother’s Day last weekend! We took my mom out to lunch and then to play around at the Rivers Casino in Pittsburgh. My sister walked away the big winner at the digital roulette games; I ended up donating my money to the blackjack machines. I’m an awful gambler, once I lose $20 I’m pretty much ready to quit.

4. I’m loving this beehive drink dispenser from World Market – perfect for summer!

5. Am I the only person that goes into a chocolate store to buy gifts for other people and walks out with an equal amount of chocolate for myself? No? Okay, good.

Chocolate!

6. I saw the new Star Trek movie last night and absolutely loved it! If you’re thinking about seeing the new movie, I highly recommend it! Next on my list are Ironman 3 and The Great Gatsby. I also want to see The Interns and can’t wait for the new Anchorman. What new movies have you seen lately?

7. My Chief Culinary Consultant and I are closing on our house in FIVE days. Five! That’s less than a week! We’ve done an insane amount of furniture shopping this week and are excited to get settled in.

8. Speaking of moving, I’ve realized that when you start sorting through all of your belongings in an effort to purge and pack, it becomes pretty clear what’s most important to you. It appears my life can be grouped into three simple categories: Kitchen, Sports and Christmas. So there you have it.

9. The warm weather the last few days has me craving a s’more. On a related note, I’m also craving this s’mores bar.

10. TGIF! Let your hair down and enjoy the ride!

Einstein loving life

24 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Tieghan on May 17, 2013 at 12:28 am

Beautiful picture! Everything looks so green and springy!

2. All That's Left Are The Crumbs on May 17, 2013 at 12:46 am

I would love to have a macro lens – that photo is so amazing. Of course I would need that camera that goes with it, but that is another story. I am finding that these days it is hard to unplug and tried to institute a no computers, ipads, or phones after 8:00pm but that didn’t last more than a week. However I am going to try again because I have a large pile of magazines to read and that is always relaxing. I think Costco here has a similar drink dispenser that I have been coveting. And I think I may be one of the few people who have never seen a Star Trek movie. Have a great weekend.

3. Jaclyn on May 17, 2013 at 1:00 am

Way cool water droplet photo! I’ve been wanting to to more stuff like that too! Very inspiring, I’m going to have to break out the macro for things other than food :).

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks on May 17, 2013 at 1:13 am

Congrats on closing on your home in 5 days! That is awesome! We’ve moved tons over the years and with each move, yes, it’s increasingly clear what’s important. Mine is pretty much all kitchen stuff, dishes, photography props, etc.

Have a great weekend and try not to work too hard packing!

5. Andrea Jones on May 17, 2013 at 6:03 am

Love the water droplet! I’m a big fan of expanding your photography!

6. Marie @ Little Kitchie on May 17, 2013 at 7:13 am

Congrats on closing on your house! That’s so exciting!

The only movie I’ve seen recently is Gatsby, and I loved it!

7. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat on May 17, 2013 at 7:16 am

The water droplet photo is amazing! Going to see the new Star Trek movie tomorrow night…can’t wait! Glad it was good!

8. Gwen on May 17, 2013 at 7:37 am

Congratulations on closing on your house! I am envious of being able to furniture shop; that would be fun :). I saw Ironman 3 and you will enjoy it. We want to see Star Trek Into Darkness, as we are huge Start Trek fans, but we just had a newborn 9 days ago. We are working on getting to the theaters. Have a great weekend!

9. Chris on May 17, 2013 at 7:55 am

AWESOME photo! I love the short depth of field a macro has.

And I can also be summed up in just as few categories, except I’d have to add yarn to mine. So, kitchen, yarn, sports, Christmas. Considering we recently went through a downsizing of our own, it’s amazing to see what you’ll deem “necessary” in life.

10. Beth on May 17, 2013 at 9:18 am

We saw Iron Man 3 last weekend and loved it! Star Trek is on my husband’s ‘to see’ list too. :) TGIF!

11. Maria on May 17, 2013 at 10:09 am

Love that first picture! Josh wants to see Star Trek, I guess we will go since you liked it:)

12. Christy@SweetandSavoring on May 17, 2013 at 11:04 am

What a lovely water drop photo :) There have been so many great opportunities lately to photograph spring; it’s nice experiencing a sort-of picture taking renaissance.

Hoping to get to the movies this weekend! Happy Friday :)

13. Marcie @ Flavor The Moments on May 17, 2013 at 11:13 am

Nice picture! I agree with you on unplugging. I’m trying to leave my phone in my purse and my IPad elsewhere when I’m home on the couch, etc. so I’m not tempted to “plug in”. There’s always the next day! I know I need more time without electronics. That’s so exciting about your house! You’re going to be so happy once you settle in! Haven’t seen Star Trek yet, but finally saw Iron Man III and loved it!

14. Bridget on May 17, 2013 at 11:23 am

You take the best photos of Eienstien! You really capture his dogginess!

15. corinne on May 17, 2013 at 12:36 pm

I love the photo of your dog! So HAPPY!!!

16. Molly_Bakelette on May 17, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I know what you mean about pictures, my family always makes fun of me because I have barely any people in them….like next to none. It’s food food food!
    Those “life categories” are three very good ones!

M

17. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on May 17, 2013 at 1:38 pm

That beehive dispenser is so pretty, I love it! Imagine it filled with some lemonade!

Have a great weekend!

18. AnnaG on May 17, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Yup — we just moved — and it was Kitchen, Sports, Christmas, and Dogs! :)
    Happy weekend!

19. Lauren on May 17, 2013 at 4:40 pm

Valos!! That’s where we get our Easter candy! We live close to the Valos store in Arnold/New Ken. Congratulations on your new home – it’s great to be a homeowner (and a lot of work). I wouldn’t change it. The Pittsburgh area is a great place to live. Beautiful pictures, by the way, I am just learning with my first “big girl” camera and love your shots.

20. Robby on May 17, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Hoping that s’mores bars on coming to a BEB blog post soon! That looks decadent. Good luck with the closing/move. It seems endless… and then, it’s done!

21. Laura Dembowski on May 18, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Unplugging sometimes is so important. I try to be really conscious of taking breaks. I’m the worst gambler. I have never won anything and after like five minutes I’m so over it. My mom is quite lucky though.

22. jamie @ green beans & grapefruit on May 19, 2013 at 11:45 am

Those chocolate covered cookies look insane…and no you’re not the only one who does that!! Love that last pup pic :)

23. nessa on May 19, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Love the water droplet pic!

24. Cecily on May 19, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I always end up with an equal amount of chocolate for myself when I go to get a gift for someone. The Star Trek movie was awesome! The ones you want to see sound great, though I am excited about Ender’s Game. Love your blog.