47 Favorite Ice Cream Recipes

47 Favorite Ice Cream Recipes

With Memorial Day weekend having come and gone, summer is (unofficially) here, and there is no better excuse to whip out that ice cream maker and churn up some of your favorite frozen treats! Ever since getting my ice cream maker in late 2008, I have been addicted to trying new flavors and am constantly finding new favorites. I honestly feel like I could make a different flavor every week and (1) never run out of new flavors to try; and (2) never get tired of eating freshly churned homemade ice cream! Since I’ve been actively making ice cream for almost five years now, many of my favorite flavors have found their way to the deep recesses of the site archives. It’s time to dig them up for you and celebrate the beauty of homemade ice cream. Stay tuned for more ice cream goodies over the summer!

Ice Cream Flavors

Tin Roof Ice Cream
Toasted Almond and Candied Cherry Ice Cream
Two-Ingredient Ice Cream: Reese’s Mini Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Ice Cream

Ice Cream Toppings

You can’t make a proper ice cream sundae without toppings galore. These are homemade versions of some of your store-bought favorites.

Butterscotch Sauce
Hot Fudge Sauce
Pineapple Ice Cream Topping
Salted Caramel Sauce
Strawberry Ice Cream Topping

Ice Cream Desserts

When ice cream becomes more than just ice cream. A collection of some fabulous desserts that use ice cream as the main ingredients.

Banana Split Ice Cream Cake
Chocolate Espresso Semifreddo
Cookies and Cream Ice Cream Cake
Cranberry Ice Cream Pie
Fried Ice Cream
Frozen Brownie Sundae
Ice Cream Cookie Sandwiches
Homemade Klondike Bars
Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Sandwiches
Spumoni Ice Cream Terrine

Tools of the Trade

The ice cream maker I currently use: KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment
Highly rated self-freezing ice cream makers: Whynter SNO and Cuisnart ICE
Don’t have an ice cream maker? Read this post! How to Make Homemade Ice Cream without an Ice Cream Maker
My favorite containers for storing homemade ice cream: Glad FreezerWare and Tovolo Glide-a-Scoop Ice Cream Tub

What are some of your favorite ice cream flavors?!

34 Responses to “47 Favorite Ice Cream Recipes”

1. Tieghan on June 10, 2013 at 12:33 am

Oh man! I want all these!! All the ice creams, all the toppings! Such an awesome round-up!

2. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on June 10, 2013 at 1:03 am

Great list here, I want to try just about everything, but especially that Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream!

3. Averie @ Averie Cooks on June 10, 2013 at 1:31 am

I have an ice cream post going out on Tuesday! I just got an ice cream maker but my ice cream post actually doesn’t use one. And it’s not just bananas blended up in it which is what most seem to be if there’s no ice cream maker used :)

I am floored with how many ice cream posts/recipes you have. WOW!! Had no idea til I see all these links, all in one place. Thanks for the compilation & inspiration!

4. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on June 10, 2013 at 2:42 am

I’ve made your banana split ice cream cake before!! it’s to die for!!

5. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious on June 10, 2013 at 3:54 am

Amazing round-up! I want to make it ALLLLL!

6. Johlene on June 10, 2013 at 4:22 am

Wow!! I´m impressed at the list of flavoured ice creams you have made!!! I have made ice cream only but a few times & did not to get the desired result, it always has some ice crystals in it.. any tips??

Regards
    Johlene
    Flavours & Frosting

• Michelle on June 10th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Hi Johlene, Did you make custard-based ice creams (with egg yolks) or ice cream with only cream or milk? The custard-based ice creams are much creamier and I’ve never had them develop ice crystals. The other types of recipes, however, don’t have as much fat and can tend to form ice crystals.

• Laura on June 10th, 2013 at 6:45 pm

I made philadelphia style ice creams, and sub two cups of heavy cream for half and half, is that why it starts melting as soon as the spoon touches it? because it’s lower in fat?

• Michelle on June 11th, 2013 at 10:26 am

Hi Laura, Well, that wouldn’t really have anything to do with it being more melty. Actually, usually the ice creams that are custard-based tend to be softer and melt faster than the harder, Philadelphia-style ones.

• Laura on June 11th, 2013 at 11:56 am

Thanks, Michelle, it’s good to know! Maybe it’s just the INSANE weather (over 110 degrees every summer day!)
            I’ll never buy ice cream again!

• Johlene on June 11th, 2013 at 3:16 am

With cream and once with condensed milk.. thanks for this tip, I´m definitely going to try it!! Thanks!! :-D

7. Hari Chandana on June 10, 2013 at 5:28 am

Wowww… Awesome.. bookmarked !!

8. marie @ little kitchie on June 10, 2013 at 6:32 am

Awesome round up! My favorite ice cream flavor is pistachio!! Second only to this homemade Butterfinger ice cream my mom always made us growing up… delicious!

9. nessa on June 10, 2013 at 7:22 am

I want to make ‘em all!

10. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on June 10, 2013 at 8:17 am

Wow! I can’t get over how many ice cream recipes you have here! I love it! Time to figure out which one I want to make today!

11. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat on June 10, 2013 at 8:18 am

Oh wow….what an awesome list! I love mint chocolate chip, coffee and cookie dough ice cream. Yum!

12. Zainab on June 10, 2013 at 9:49 am

This is an amazing round-up! Thanks for putting it all in one place for us :)

13. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet on June 10, 2013 at 9:52 am

I have tried several of your ice cream recipes and last year our favorite that we made over and over was rocky road! Oh so good!!

14. Marcie @ Flavor The Moments on June 10, 2013 at 10:27 am

There can never be enough ice cream recipes! They all sound fantastic.

15. JJ @ My Chicken Fried LIfe on June 10, 2013 at 10:48 am

I’m on a kick of making a new flavor a week. There is nothing better than homemade ice cream on a hot summer day! Can’t wait to give the cookies and cream a try.

16. Laura Dembowski on June 10, 2013 at 11:39 am

So many amazing ice cream recipes! I love making ice cream now that I finally have an ice cream maker. Totally agree that the Gladware is the perfect storage vessel.

17. Emmie on June 10, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Have you ever tried a recipe from Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams? The flavors are crazy and delicious and they use a unique method that doesn’t involve egg yolks and tempering–she did a bunch of research and courses on the science of ice cream. I’ve got a batch of strawberry buttermilk ice cream chilling now!

• Michelle on June 11th, 2013 at 10:25 am

Hi Emmie, I haven’t tried any of her recipes yet, but a few are on my list!

18. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen on June 10, 2013 at 8:08 pm

Brown Eyed Baker loves ice cream! I love it. Fabulous ice cream recipe round-up, Michelle! I have a lot of catching up to do, LOL! xo

19. Camille on June 10, 2013 at 8:54 pm

Did you really just do that to me? I’m going to have to make one these every day this summer!

20. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on June 10, 2013 at 10:11 pm

Fab round-up, i’m loving all of these flavors!

21. Lois E on June 10, 2013 at 11:57 pm

Love ice cream, chocolate a plus. Had a chocolate cookies and cream once, yum! Friend made homemade fresh peach ice cream that was great.

22. Tracy @ A2ZMommy on June 11, 2013 at 3:39 pm

I think I’ve just hit the summer jackpot!

23. Beth on June 11, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Michelle, I do not see a recipe on your list for peach. I have made your ice creams and the ones i have made have been great. Do you have a recipe for peach? I would love to make it for my husband.

• Michelle on June 13th, 2013 at 10:19 am

Hi Beth, I don’t have a recipe for peach yet, but I have it on my list for this summer!

24. Elaina Gray on June 12, 2013 at 11:57 am

Such an amazing collection!

25. Kristi on June 12, 2013 at 8:43 pm

This post is definitely book marked.

26. Emily on June 14, 2013 at 1:50 am

Thank You soooo much for these receipes..
    me and my kids love ice creams…
    now with the help of these receipes ,
    i used to make different different styles of ice creams..

27. lissa on July 3, 2013 at 10:12 pm

My husband and I just finished churning the mint chocolate chip. zomg. Thank you for sharing your recipes!