7 of My New Favorite Cookbooks

7 of My New Favorite Cookbooks

Real talk time.

My stitched-up finger is making it difficult to do much in the kitchen; however, I can still type! So, I thought it would be the perfect time to share with you some of my favorite cookbooks that I’ve picked up over the last year or so.

(These are listed in alphabetical order.)

1. Baked Elements - I absolutely adored Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito’s first two books, Baked and Baked Explorations, so it’s no surprise that when these guys devoted an entire cookbook to their 10 favorite ingredients, it would be just as mouth-watering.

Baked Elements

2. Bouchon Bakery - I was luckily enough to indulge in some of Bouchon Bakery’s confections on a trip to New York City three years ago and can tell you they were absolutely out of this world. When Thomas Keller released this cookbook, I couldn’t wait to get it into my hands. It’s just as amazing as the sweets I remember at the bakery.

Bouchon Bakery Cookbook

3. Flour - I snatched up this book as soon as I found out it was the original source of the Vanilla Cream-Filled Doughnuts that I made back in March. It’s from the owner of the Boston-based bakery of the same name and is full of recipes that I’m dying to make (you may also recognize the Coconut-Vanilla Bean Cake with Coconut Meringue Buttercream Frosting). The bakery just came out with a follow-up book, Flour, Too, that I can’t wait to check out.

Flour Cookbook

4. The America’s Test Kitchen DIY Cookbook - I can’t put into words how much I love this cookbook. I think I’ve bookmarked nearly every single recipe in the book. You’ve already seen some samples - Homemade Nutella, American Cheese and Marshmallows – and those are merely the tip of the iceberg. If you love recreating store-bought favorites, this book is definitely for you.

The America's Test Kitchen DIY Cookbook

5. The Chinese Takeout Cookbook - I’ve fallen in love with Chinese food over the last few years, and while I tend to order the same thing every time (General Tso’s chicken and an order of crab rangoon), I wanted to try out some different dishes and bought this book as inspiration. It hasn’t failed me yet!

The Chinese Takeout Cookbook

6. The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook - Much like the Bouchon Bakery and Flour cookbooks, this one comes from The Dahlia Bakery in Seattle. I discovered it when I saw the Chocolate Truffle Cookies floating around Pinterest. I’m glad I invested in the book because it’s full of wonderful sweet and savory recipes.

The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook

7. Vintage Cakes - I saw this book sitting on a display table at Anthropologie late last year. I loved the whimsical cover, but once I started flipping through the book I was drawn to all of the absolutely lovely cakes. They reminded me of sitting around my grandma’s dining room table, her coffee warmer a steady fixture, and a steady stream of neighbors stopping by throughout the day.

Vintage Cakes

What have been some of your favorite cookbooks lately?!

44 Responses to “7 of My New Favorite Cookbooks”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks on June 26, 2013 at 12:40 am

I have the first Baked book, but not the next two.
    I have Dahlia and Vintage Cakes.
    I have tons of other America’s Test Kitchen books but not that one.

I have lately been enjoying some more vintage reads…like from the 1970s and 1980s. They don’t hand-hold as much as present day cookbooks do; they assume you sort of know how to melt butter and measure your flour properly. It’s been nice. And it’s made me realize I could stand to have some more classics on my site. Plus old titles are usually cheap, even if they’re 5-star ratings on Amazon.

I limit myself to buying 5 new cookbooks a month plus 4 foodie magazine subscriptions. I have so many cookbooks that I won’t even tell you about it :)

Have you made anything from Dahlia or Vintage Cakes?

• Michelle on June 27th, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Hi Averie, I made the Chocolate Truffle Cookies from Dahlia, nothing yet from Vintage Cakes.

2. Connie on June 26, 2013 at 12:48 am

I’m glad to see “Vintage Cakes” on your new favorite cookbooks list! I received it as a gift recently, I found it beautiful and interesting. I hope to bake one of recipes soon.

3. All That's Left Are The Crumbs on June 26, 2013 at 12:51 am

I have 4 out of the 7 – Baked, Vintage Cakes, Dahlia Bakery and Flour – and I desperately want Bouchon Bakery, but will have save up for that one.

4. Holiday Baker Man on June 26, 2013 at 1:17 am

Wow.. I actually have a few of the books you do! Bouchon is amazing… daunting but amazing. The America’s Test Kitchen DYI… is pretty informative. The Dhalia Bakery.. OMG Amazing Stuff. Have made the Triple Coconut Cream Pie. I have also had the pleasure of having it in the restaurant too! Happy cooking!

5. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious on June 26, 2013 at 1:45 am

I love this round-up! I’ve actually been meaning to get the chinese takeout book – I love making chinese food at home! It’s so much easier and so much tastier too!

6. Pieliekamais on June 26, 2013 at 2:22 am

I just got Gwineth Paltrow’s (with Julia Turshen) “It’s all good” and
    Marian Keyes’ “Saved by cake”.

7. Pru on June 26, 2013 at 5:55 am

I have both Flour and Flour, Too. I just bought Flour Too last week, and love it. There are a lot of wonderful recipes that I can’t wait to try! Other than the Baked Amazon has been recommending the others, and I’m slowly adding them to my collection. This is so helpful, thank you!!

8. Jamie @lifelovelemons on June 26, 2013 at 6:07 am

Flour is THE BEST! She just came out with a second book, too! I need to get my hands on it!

• pati on June 27th, 2013 at 11:56 am

Her second book is outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Brandi on July 24th, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I love the Flour cookbook. I ate at Flour for lunch every day during the 2 weeks I was in Cambridge for work. Their food is delicious!

9. Tieghan on June 26, 2013 at 6:49 am

I now had a million cookbooks to go and bye!

10. Donna on June 26, 2013 at 6:58 am

thanks for the cookbook suggestions..i have a couple of the ones mentioned but now I have new ones to check out. One of my favorites is “The Sweet Kitchen” by Regan Daley, well known pastry chef and bakery owner in Canada. with recipes like s’mores roulade and chewy oatmeal raisin cookie sandwiches with roasted cinnamon ice cream how can you go wrong?!!

11. Holly @ EatGreatBEGreat on June 26, 2013 at 7:22 am

I love the Vintage Cakes cookbook! I bought it last year and it’s amazing! The cakes are fantastic!

12. Amy on June 26, 2013 at 7:37 am

I keep looking at the Baked books, and the Dahlia bakery cookbook on Amazon and drooling over the photos, but I have yet to click ‘purchase’. I might need to rethink that position :)
    My favourites of late have been Nigel Slater’s Tender Vol.1 (what to do with all those winter vegetables. Just made the beetroot chocolate cake – divine…); The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook (pizza dough recipe was the best and making mushroom bourguignon on Friday night); and, The Meatfree Monday cookbook (just add meatballs and my omnivorous other half is very happy).

13. marie @ little kitchie on June 26, 2013 at 7:45 am

I’m interested in the Chinese Take Out book! My go-to cookbooks lately have been Jerusalem and Smitten Kitchen. Everything I’ve made from both of them has been absolutely delicious!

14. Diane W. on June 26, 2013 at 8:35 am

My go to recipe for banana bread is Flour’s recipe, with a slight moderation…I swap out some white sugar for brown sugar. Everyone always asks for the recipe!

15. Aimee St.Germain (Cooking the Strip) on June 26, 2013 at 8:56 am

I recently purchased “Vietnamese Home Cooking” because I’ve been really into Vietnamese food lately – pho, banh mi, etc. I’ve only made a couple stir fry’s so far… The weather’s just been too warm for hot soup, or braised dishes. But I look forward to trying out more recipes! They’re also pretty easy to follow.

16. Loretta | A Finn In The Kitchen on June 26, 2013 at 8:59 am

My current favorite is ‘Small Plates and Sweet Treats’. The photography is stunning and inspiring!

17. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen on June 26, 2013 at 9:19 am

Excellent post, Michelle! Love these sharing posts…which I need to start doing. Have Baked Elements, Bouchon Bakery and just got Vintage Cakes along with other food blogger cookbooks recently. Need to add Flour and a few more ATK books. Have Dahlia in my Amazon cart. Will check out the Chinese Takeout tho! Also, really wanting Stanley Tucci’s cookbook. When are you going to write a cookbook, missy? :)

18. Elin on June 26, 2013 at 9:58 am

I love Vintage Cakes!

Have you ever come across the book, Cake Keeper Cakes? It’s another favorite.

19. Annie @ Annie's City Kitchen on June 26, 2013 at 10:25 am

I’m been SO curious about ATK’s DIY Cookbook!I almost bought it a few months and talked myself out of it. I think it’s time to give it a shot.

20. Marcie @ flavor the moments on June 26, 2013 at 10:38 am

I have the Baked Elements, Dhalia Bakery, and Bouchon Bakery cookbooks, and I just love them. Flour and DIY America’s Test Kitchen look like ones I need to add to my collection! One of my favorite cookbooks for perfect cupcakes is the Georgetown Cupcakes “The Cupcake Diaries” cookbook. I’ve made several, and they never disappoint! Another favorite is “The Art & Soul of Baking” by Cindy Mushet. It not only has great recipes, but there’s so much great information about the science of baking. I never have enough cookbooks!

21. Maria Hanrahan on June 26, 2013 at 11:09 am

I love everything from the Baked boys and buy their books as soon as they come out. Anyone that adds these books to his/her collection will not be disappointed. I also love Flour (and thanks for the heads up that Flour, Too is already out; last I knew, it was going to be published in fall) and I recently bought Pure Vanilla by Shauna Sever (published last fall) after having it on my wishlist for a while and checking it out from the library a few times. I also love the Back in the Day Bakery Cookbook, I Love Cinnamon Rolls, Top Pot Hand-Forged Doughnuts, and the Secret Lives of Baked Goods.

22. Maria Hanrahan on June 26, 2013 at 11:22 am

I must add, I’m going to be checking back for the comments to this post to get more recommendations so I can look for them at my library. (Just added 4 hold requests based on this post and the comments!)

23. Shundara@SavyNaturalista on June 26, 2013 at 11:48 am

I am obsessed with the Chinese takeout cookbook I cannot put it down.

24. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on June 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Great round-up!! I’ve heard great things about “Flour”….I think I should buy it!!

25. Diana @ Appetite for China on June 26, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Thank you so much for featuring my cookbook! This roundup made my morning. I’ve been meaning to check out the Flour and Dahlia Bakery cookbooks as well, so another thank you for the reminder!

26. Moira @ Hearth and Homefront on June 26, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I’m running out of bookshelf space for my cookbook collection, but I see a few in this list that I might need to add. I adored the first 2 Baked cookbooks and didn’t realize there was a 3rd out. Score! I’ve been using the Joy The Baker cookbook and several of Nigella’s older books a lot lately. I’m thinking I need to start collecting the ATK books too!

27. Monica on June 26, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Thanks for this post I have 4 out of the 7 and love them and I have Flour 2. LOVE IT!!! So many good recipes in Flour and Flour 2. You should get it!

28. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet on June 26, 2013 at 3:46 pm

This is a great post! A lot of these cookbooks I had not heard of yet. Thanks for sharing!

29. Nessa on June 26, 2013 at 8:26 pm

I now need all of those cookbooks :)

30. Melissa on June 26, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I haven’t bought a recipe book in so long! It becomes so easy to find beautiful recipes on blogs such as this! It is nice to have to have a lovely book to flick through though so I’ll be sure to check these out. Not sure how the price compares to Amazon but have you all heard of http://www.bookdepository.co.uk ? They have pretty good prices and free worldwide shipping. It’s normally the cheapest option for me in Australia :)

31. Kaitlin on June 27, 2013 at 10:48 am

I love the Bouchon bakery cookbook! I have been working with it for about 8 months now! There is so much to learn from it, and so many delicious things to make. I won’t lie though, it’s a little intimidating to me at times!

I have seen the baked book, but never the baked elements book. I must find it my next time at the bookstore!

xoxo kaitlin

32. Judy on June 27, 2013 at 12:39 pm

What are your favorites from Bouchon. I was excited to get this cookbook, as I loved their bakery in Las Vegas, but was disappointed in my first 2 recipes – the pecan sandies (needed salt and wasn’t crazy about the texture) and the blueberry muffins (I felt blueberries and molasses weren’t a good match). So I would like to try my next attempt on a recommendation. What have you made from this book that you recommend?

• Kaitlin on June 28th, 2013 at 9:54 am

the oreos are great. yeah i wasnt impressed by the sandies. and i altered the blueberry muffins. i wanted a honey blueberry muffin. i also made the chocolate mayonnaise cake. layered with the chocolate filling or something. sorry. i dont have the book handy right now (in the middle of moving to a new house) so i dont have the exact names. the macaron recipe is pretty good too. but i find that macarons are very dependent on technique. umm. the nut tart is pretty good too. i even over cooked the caramel like filling a little bit. tasted ‘burnt’ to me. but everyone was crazy over it! i went to the bouchon bakery in beverly hills last time i was out that way, in may, and i wasnt impressed with a lot of the goods. they didnt live up to the hype. i was so so excited to be there and try the stuff. i felt so disappointed when i actually ate them! it was run by what looked like ‘teenagers’ so i feel the results might be better if i go to an actual bouchon bakery. this was like a little stand in a building.

but anyways. definitely try the oreos. my stepmom goes crazy for them.

33. Heather on June 27, 2013 at 9:48 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! I picked up Vintage Cakes at the library recently and couldn’t stop reading it. I’ve always been a pie girl, but this has made me consider cake as an option. When I visited Boston a few summers ago, I spent several mornings at Flour, and am thrilled to see that they have a cookbook.

34. Kathryn on June 27, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Thank you for the fabulous suggestions! I have borrowed a few of them from the library. The flour cookbook is heavenly! Adding these to my Amazon wish list!

35. Judy on June 29, 2013 at 7:13 pm

Thank you for your recommendations. Will give them a try!

36. Melissa B on June 29, 2013 at 9:24 pm

I’d love to get the DIY cookbook!
    I have some King Arthur Flour cookbooks, and some test kitchen ones I use all the time.

37. Laura Dembowski on June 30, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I love all the Baked Cookbooks. I would love to add the Flour and Bouchon cookbooks to my collection. I really love Daphne Oz’s new book Relish. I keep making things from it.

38. Joanna Weiss on July 2, 2013 at 9:55 pm

Baking from The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook is like having Douglas and Lance standing at your shoulder to show you how it’s done while they tell you about the bakery and how it grew, or where a recipe came from. The stories are fun, and the breezy, personable style make even the more complicated recipes seem easy and accessible.

39. Ariane on July 3, 2013 at 5:37 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve just placed an order for a few of them (Chinese takeout, dahlia, and diy cookbook) at Appetite for Books, my favourite indie bookstore in Montreal. I’m so excited, the books sound great! I love my copy of Baked Elements, one of my favourite purchases. I also have Bouchon and Flour.