Friday Things

4th of July chalkboard fun

1. I hope everyone that celebrated the 4th of July yesterday had a great day and lots of good food! My Chief Culinary Consultant and I made festive use of the chalkboard in our mudroom :)

2. Incidentally, that was probably the most creative thing I’ve done since art class was mandatory in grade school. Now I’m feeling inspired!

3. It’s just not a summer picnic without a pan of strawberry pretzel salad. I’m happy to report that I ate more than may fair share yesterday and I still have some leftovers in the fridge calling my name.

4. I always take my camera out before family gatherings with the intention of taking some nice, candid photos. Inevitably, I never end up picking it up because I’m too busy enjoying the day. Does anyone else’s camera get forgotten?

5. I did, however, play around with some sparkler photographs! I liked this one in particular:

Sparklers!

For those of you curious, I used my 35mm 1.4 lens with these settings: f/1.8, ISO 100, 0.3 sec shutter speed.

6.┬áMy BFF leant me her Kindle Paperwhite to test drive before deciding to buy my own. I can’t wait to give it a try! I’ll report back on how I like it.

7. I got my stitches out on Wednesday… hooray! I still need to keep it bandaged for another 7-10 days; hopefully by then it’ll 100% back to normal!

8. I’m definitely in the market for decorating advice; if you are as well, check out these 101 Decorating Secrets from Top Interior Designers.

9. This green smoothie cheat sheet has me inspired to bust out my Vitamix more often, especially after overdosing on picnic food yesterday!

10. TGIF! Who’s ready for play time?!

Source: Amanda Evans Photography

Source: Amanda Evans Photography

24 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Tieghan on July 5, 2013 at 12:40 am

Your chalkboard is too cute!
    Love the sparkler photo!
    Happy Friday!

2. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on July 5, 2013 at 12:54 am

I’m ready for playtime! Hope you had a great holiday! Always love some fun time with sparklers!

3. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious on July 5, 2013 at 2:38 am

Great firework shot! And I hope you have a speedy recovery!

4. Jamie @lifelovelemons on July 5, 2013 at 6:15 am

Always love the pictures of Einstein best! Enjoy the weekend :)

• Sabrina on July 5th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

me too. this dog is soooo cute :)

5. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet on July 5, 2013 at 6:22 am

Yay! So great the stitches are out! Have a great weekend!

6. Emily @ Life on Food on July 5, 2013 at 6:27 am

Pretty sparklers! I need all of the decorating advice I can get!

7. Colleen on July 5, 2013 at 7:23 am

Glad to hear you’re on the mend. Love the photos!

8. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on July 5, 2013 at 8:13 am

Oh I love the sparklers! Reminds me of when I was a kid! Have a wonderful weekend!!

9. David at From Ballparks to BBQ on July 5, 2013 at 8:53 am

Great use of the chalkboard!

10. Diane W. on July 5, 2013 at 9:54 am

I LOVE decorating! I just finished painting the interior of my house (all spice colors) and I love going out to fine some new art and accessories! If you need a painter, let me know! My neighbor is a professional and does a fabulous job! We’re not far from you!

11. Kim on July 5, 2013 at 10:04 am

I am in love with your dog. He just seems so happy!

12. Tracey on July 5, 2013 at 10:28 am

Happy holiday weekend Michelle, love your chalkboard! Shane has the Kindle Paperwhite and seriously loves it. I have the Nook version and definitely think the Kindle is better.

13. Marcie @ flavor the moments on July 5, 2013 at 10:41 am

I’ve experienced strawberry pretzel salad at a potluck once and I was crazy about it. I can’t wait to do a spin on it soon! I never seem to take pics at family gatherings anymore. I used to be so good about it! I’m a big picture person, so I need to fix that! Congrats on getting those stitches out!

14. Angie | Big Bear's Wife on July 5, 2013 at 11:08 am

Cute chalkboard! I use to take my big camera everywhere, but now I mainly just take my phone with me lol

15. Nessa on July 5, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Love the sparkler pics!

16. Melanie on July 5, 2013 at 7:58 pm

I always have good intentions when I bring my camera somewhere, but like you, it usually ends up getting forgotten in the purse because I’m too caught up in the moment to want to remove myself for a picture. Sigh. First world problems, indeed!

Glad you enjoyed your fourth!

17. Kritsi on July 5, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I love the green smoothie cheat sheet.

18. Jaclyn on July 5, 2013 at 10:46 pm

This is a really stupid question but did you use a flash when you took the sparkler photo- if you don’t mind me asking? I’m so new to photography, I tried taking some pics of fireworks and mine didn’t really turn out – and I’m thinking a flash would have helped :). I haven’t even bought one yet since I only take pictures of food. Very cool pic by the way! And great cheat sheet!

• Michelle on July 6th, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Hi Jaclyn! I did not use a flash. That’s actually the best firework-ish photo I’ve ever taken. It really takes a ton of practice, and I’ve tried reading a ton of “how-to” articles. Based on what I’ve read, you should turn the ISO way down (I set mine to 100 and it was around dusk), use a super, super slow shutter speed (I used 0.3 sec) and if possible, use a tripod or steady the camera on something. Since the shutter speed will be so low, it’ll turn out blurry if the camera moves at all. I hope that all helps! :)

• Jaclyn on July 17th, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Thanks so much for your reply Michelle! It really is such an amazing photo – perfect sparks, color and everything! Awesome job and thanks for the tips :)!

19. Jaclyn on July 5, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Oh – and I hope you had a great 4th! I love holidays, so much good food!

20. Laura Dembowski on July 6, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Your chalkboard drawing is adorable! I used to have a chalkboard and was obsessed with it. Now I want to go find it hiding in the basement and get creative!

21. Stajah on July 6, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Aww Einstien is so adorable! He is my fav part about friday things.