The Weekend Dish 7/6/2013

Happy Saturday!

Today is Saturday, right? I always get my days mixed up when holidays fall in the middle of the week. I hope you all had a wonderful 4th of July holiday and have been able to enjoy some extra time off. I’m still getting my fill of leftovers, but I feel a craving for a salad creeping on me. It must be the cumulative effect of the hamburgers, kielbasa, potato salad, coleslaw, corn pudding, strawberry pretzel salad and whatever else I’ve been eating for the last two days. Did you try any new recipes for the holiday? If you found any winners, feel free to share in the comments below!

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

No-Bake S’mores Pie – A perfect summer dessert that combines all of the fabulous flavors from s’mores – a graham cracker crust, chocolate filling and a toasted marshmallow topping.

No-Bake S’mores Pie

Loaded Baked Potato Salad – Potato salad loaded with bacon, cheddar cheese, green onions and sour cream.

Loaded Baked Potato Salad

Flag Cake (From Scratch!) – An iconic 4th of July dessert tradition, this time made completely from scratch – a rich butter cake topped with cream cheese frosting.

Flag Cake (From Scratch!)

Red, White & Blue Berry Trifle – A festive trifle with layers of angel food cake, blueberries, strawberries and a cream cheese/vanilla pudding filling.

Red, White & Blue Berry Trifle

Friday Things – A 4th of July recap, decorating tips, a green smoothie cheat sheet and more!

Friday Things

Most Viewed Post This Week: Top 10 List: Favorite Cupcake Recipes

Most Pinned Post This Week: Flag Cake (From Scratch!)

Most Emailed Post This Week: Best Ever Potato Salad

Most Facebook Shared Post This Week: No-Bake Banana Split Dessert

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes and posts from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like, too:

Frito Chili Cheeseburger (A Spicy Perspective)
This burger looks insane, and makes me want to make Frito Pie immediately!

Mudslide Poke Cake (Beyond Frosting)
I’ve been loving poke cakes lately (see here and here), this one sounds absolutely phenomenal.

Peanut Butter Bourbon-Filled Doughnuts (Sprinkle Bakes)
I’m speechless. I need to try these!

Peanut Butter Marshmallow Popcorn Bars (Diethood)
These sound like the ultimate snack bar – perfect for munching on while watching movies.

S’more Pie (Just a Taste)
This is such a beautifully toasted pie; I want to dive right into that crackly crust!

What was the best thing you ate this week??

Have a delicious weekend!

16 Responses to “The Weekend Dish 7/6/2013”

1. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on July 6, 2013 at 12:53 am

I need that Chili Cheeseburger! Looks so delicious!

2. Hari Chandana on July 6, 2013 at 12:55 am

Lovely dishes!!

3. Kelly on July 6, 2013 at 3:04 am

I made the no bake Oreo dessert you posted. It was a huge hit. Thanks for the recipe!

4. Linda on July 6, 2013 at 3:46 am

We made Frito Pies in high school 45 years ago and sold them. Still love them with homemade chili. No beans in my chili. Just opened the small packages of Fritos added canned chili, onions, and then cheese. Don’t think I would care for Fritos on a burger. Looked good. My son made me a chocolate cake for my birthday this week and that was the best thing I ate.

5. Kristi on July 6, 2013 at 4:57 am

I had ribs on the Fourth of July that were so good. I don’t have ribs often, so it was kind of like a treat.

6. Tieghan on July 6, 2013 at 9:08 am

Sounds like and awesome 4th with some awesome food!! Excited to check out a few of your links this week! HAve a great weekend!

7. Michelle on July 6, 2013 at 9:17 am

I have really enjoyed your site and recipes. For the most part everything I’ve baked has come out great. My problem is they don’t look as pretty as yours. My cupcakes have the beautiful dome coming out of the oven but quickly deflate and cave when they cool. I am convinced its my oven unless you have any other theories. Do you bake using gas, electric, convection? What brand as I will be in the market for a new oven soon. Tank you for sharing with us.

• Michelle on July 6th, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Hi Michelle, It could be, but also be sure that the cupcakes are baked through; cakes can sink as they cool if the centers are not completely baked. I have an electric/convection oven. It’s actually an Amana (I just moved into a new house), but I am currently doing my own research because I plan to replace them soon.

8. David at From Ballparks to BBQ on July 6, 2013 at 11:22 am

My mom brought these mini S’mores to our family cookout and they were awesome.

I’m pretty sure this is the recipe she used: http://sweetpeaskitchen.com/2012/06/smore-bites/

9. Beth on July 6, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I made a very good version of a pasta salad last weekend. It was on the cover of the Penzeys Spices catalog and was called ” Creamy Peppercorn Pasta Salad” . It used their dressing mix as the base. I made a lil extra dressing for it and think roasted red peppers may be a good addition next time

10. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious on July 7, 2013 at 2:48 am

Hope you had a great 4th! I can’t wait to try that frito cheeseburger!

11. Nessa on July 7, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Best thing I ate- probably some brown butter chocolate chip cookie. Yum :)

12. Julianne @ Beyond Frosting on July 7, 2013 at 10:08 pm

Thanks again for sharing my Mudslide Poke Cake!

13. Rony Mikal on July 9, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Yummy..!! I can definitely make it at home. Can you provide me recipes for these dishes..???

• Michelle on July 9th, 2013 at 11:13 pm

All of the dishes referred to above have accompanying links, where you can click over to see any of the recipes.

14. marie on July 13, 2013 at 10:04 am

I love fiestaware. We mixed three colors, paprika marigold and shamrock. We have had them a couple years and they are like new. We just recently added the luncheon plates to the 5 piece dinner sets. Will probably add some serving pieces as well. Unfortunately the marigold was discontinued so that color will be harder to locate.