The Weekend Dish: 7/20/2013

Happy Saturday!

I don’t know about you, but I was sure I was going to melt at some point this week; I’m thankful for the cooler air that some storms seemed to have blown in! Since my Chief Culinary Consultant and I called a serious audible and made wedding plans for less than four weeks from now (check out Friday Things!), today I’m heading out to do some wedding dress shopping! Since we’re getting married on the beach, it won’t be anything over-the-top ball gown-ish, but a wedding dress nonetheless! Weeeee! What are you up to this weekend?

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Blueberry Buckle – I am loving blueberry season this summer, and can’t get enough of baking with them. This buckle is burst with four whole cups of blueberries (and a crumb topping for good measure)!

Blueberry Buckle

Tomato Mozzarella Tart – If you’re growing tomatoes this year, this is a perfect appetizer or light lunch in which to showcase them. So easy and absolutely delicious.

Tomato Mozzarella Tart

Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies - I couldn’t wait to test out a copycat recipe of the famous Levain Bakery cookies; these are huge, thick, chewy and packed with dark chocolate and walnuts.

Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies

Toasted Coconut Dark Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream – This ice cream has a total infusion of coconut flavor, along with more toasted coconut mixed into the ice cream, along with chunks of dark chocolate. I didn’t think much of it when I was making it, but it’s turned out to be one of my favorite homemade ice creams ever.

Toasted Coconut Dark Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

Friday Things - A wedding update, StitchFix, some fun finds, and more!

Friday Things

Most Viewed Post This Week: Top 10 List: Favorite Cupcake Recipes

Most Pinned Post This Week: Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies

Most Emailed Post This Week: Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies

Most Facebook Shared Post This Week: Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies

Most Tweeted Post This Week: Cream Cheese-Stuffed, Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeños

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes and posts from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like, too:

Diner Dream Cake (Sweetapolita)
This cake is definitely a dream – it’s so tall, is covered in chopped peanuts and has a cherry on top!

Fudgy Cookies and Cream Cake (Confessions of a Cookbook Queen)
If you love Oreo cookies, then this cake was meant for you. It’s a beauty!

Perfectly Baked Bacon (Family Fresh Cooking)
I’ve always wanted to try bacon in the oven, and this post just reinvigorated my curiosity. I’m going to give it a try this weekend.

Strawberry Tuxedo Cake (Bakers Royale)
Yes another gorgeous cake. This could be on the cover of a magazine; absolutely picture-perfect.

Sweet and Salty No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars (Cookies and Cups)
Pretzels, peanut butter and chocolate? No oven required? I expect to see these on my counter by this evening.

What was the best thing you ate this week??

Have a delicious weekend!

10 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 7/20/2013”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks on July 20, 2013 at 2:06 am

Im still thinking about those Levain cookies. They are seriously better looking than ANY other make-at-home versions I’ve ever seen. And your blueberry buckle is gorgeous too. I have been in love with bb’s this year, too!

2. Pieliekamais on July 20, 2013 at 3:20 am

Good luck with the dress! I hope you find something you love.

3. Ellen on July 20, 2013 at 3:51 am

Oh wow I want sweets now! Everything looked especially amazing this week. Best thing I ate was watermelon gazpacho.

4. Jennifer on July 20, 2013 at 8:45 am

Good luck on the wedding dress hunt!

5. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on July 20, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Have a great shopping day for that dress, good luck! Don’t melt where you are.. it’s hot here in NYC, worst 2 days of the year, I’m going back to crawling and laying on my cement floor now. Have a great weekend!

6. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on July 20, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Definitely trying those chocolate chip cookies as soon as I get some bread flour!! Have a great weekend!

7. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on July 20, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Ahhhh, have fun lokig for a dress. A beach wedding sounds amazing! I am so happy for you.

I have a question, how did you really like Stitch Fix? I was looking into it and it looks like a cool idea. How are the quality of clothes? Did you have to spend a tiny fortune? How was the style? Did thy match up to what you would buy? I’m curious to try it, but I’m afraid they will charge me $500 for clothes that I may love or worse yet don’t like. Thanks Michelle, I appreciate it!

Have fun this weekend!!

• Michelle on July 21st, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Hi Jennifer, You don’t get charged unless it’s something you like and want to keep. The styling fee is $20, which you are charged. In the questionnaire, they ask how much you want to spend on different categories of clothes (tops, pants, dresses, accessories, etc.) and they stay within that amount. Once you get everything and try it on, you keep what you want (and pay for it), or send back what you don’t want (in a pre-paid envelope). For my first one, 3 out of the 5 things were definitely my style, and I really liked them. Only one thing I absolutely did not like, the other was so/so. But like I said, you just send back what you don’t like, and only pay for what you keep. You also then give feedback on the items, which helps the stylist for your next time. Hope that helps!

8. Emily on July 20, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Missed yesterday’s post! Congratulations!! Enjoy dress shopping and try on one of those ballroom gowns just to see how it looks on you. That’s the fun part!

9. Nessa on July 23, 2013 at 7:18 pm

That tomato tart looks so yummy!