Friday Things

Duke!

1. I mentioned last week that we got a new addition to the family; without further ado, allow me to introduce… Duke! He’s also a Golden Retriever and is two months old today. We’re loving our new little guy; he has a cute personality and is definitely keeping us on our toes (as well as sleep-deprived). He and Einstein are slowly getting acquainted; they’re beginning to play quite a bit, they’re stealing each other’s toys, and poor Einstein is getting his ears and tail assaulted on a daily basis. He’s been a good sport and seems to be protective over Duke. I think they’re going to be inseparable BFFs!

2. Speaking of being sleep-deprived, getting a puppy is not a good time to try to give up Diet Coke. As a result, I made a big pitcher of iced coffee to get me through some puffy-eyed days. I’ve been doctoring it up with Torani chocolate syrup and half-and-half. I think my next step is going to be making a homemade mocha frappuccino. Does anyone have a good recipe? I love the Starbucks version.

3. If you’re bummed that summer produce is coming to an end, check out this awesome DIY tutorial on how to make your own dried fruit. Love, love, love this! I definitely want to try it!

4. I have struggled with getting into a good cleaning routine since we moved back at the end of May. Does anyone have any recommendations for putting together a schedule? I found this daily cleaning schedule on Pinterest that I might give a shot. If nothing else, with two Golden Retrievers, I know we’re going to vacuuming pretty much everyday!

5. I swear that one of these months I’m actually going to complete a photo challenge. Here is the September one from Fat Mum Slim, I’m going to give it a shot:

SEPTEMBER-PHOTO-A-DAY

6. I had my fantasy football draft this past week, which is always fun. Are any of you playing this year? How does your team look? I think I had a pretty good draft with a balanced team; Yahoo gave my draft a “B”… good enough for me! :)

7. More importantly, my Chief Culinary Consultant and I started our ticket purchasing for Penguins games this season… bring on the chilly air rising up from the ice, the sound of skate blades cutting through ice and the blaring goal horn. I am more than ready for hockey to begin! Only a little over a month away now!

8. I’m still unsure if I’ll be able to play hockey this fall, which is a bummer. Remember when I sliced my finger in the kitchen a couple of months ago? I still don’t have much mobility in that finger (meaning I can’t form a fist or fully grip anything with that hand, including things like a hockey stick) and it’s starting to be a little painful, so I’m off to see a hand specialist next week. Fingers crossed (no pun intended) that some physical therapy is all I need to get things right!

9. As a Full House fan from the time I was seven, I love this post from The Kitchn – 8 Important Things We Learned About Food From Michelle Tanner.

10. TGIF! Here’s to new friends!

Duke & Einstein

69 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Mary B. on August 30, 2013 at 12:14 am

Your new puppy is adorable!
    I hear you on the iced coffee; I keep a pitcher of cold-brew on hand at all times. :)

2. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on August 30, 2013 at 12:47 am

The last picture made me smile! Duke is such a sweetheart, can’t wait for more pup pictures! Have a great weekend!

3. Marcie on August 30, 2013 at 12:48 am

That little puppy Duke is just precious! They are a lot of work, but who can resist such a darling little face like that? I’m sorry to hear about your finger — hope that turns out ok. I’ve never done fantasy football, but I’m so happy the NFL is starting soon, plus my baseball team is #1 right now. So excited!

4. Averie @ Averie Cooks on August 30, 2013 at 12:53 am

Duke is just adorable! Congrats on the new addition!
    Your finger/hand…ouch. So sorry you are still struggling with this. I remember I had a wicked burn on my hand that took about 6 weeks to heal right around the time of your slice. And I am sorry to hear it hasn’t healed as well as could be. Good luck with the hand specialist.

Starbucks mocha frapp. I have a copycat caramel frapp recipe on my site and it’s Skinny. Only 50 cals in the whole thing! You could probably just add a bit of cocoa powder and omit the caramel and you’re set.

5. Kristi on August 30, 2013 at 1:27 am

I had a golden retriever growing up. best dog ever.
    I love the photo a day. I’m going to give it a try and see if I can stick with it.

6. cde on August 30, 2013 at 1:41 am

Duke is all sorts of A+mazing!

7. Kelster on August 30, 2013 at 2:05 am

Just an FYI, the Kitchn article is linking to your sliced finger post.

• Michelle on August 31st, 2013 at 6:21 pm

Ahh, thank you for the heads-up, I fixed it!

8. Natalie on August 30, 2013 at 3:15 am

Duke is absolutely gorgeous. The photo of the 2 of them is fantastic.
    I’m doing project life so the photo a day for Sept. is great. Will give it a go.

9. Pieliekamais on August 30, 2013 at 4:12 am

Awww! Welcome Duke! :) Such a sweetie!
    Sorry to hear about your finger, and really glad you’re getting it checked out. Good luck!

10. Caroline on August 30, 2013 at 4:33 am

Duke is so precious!!! He looks like a Minnie me of Einstein. I look forward to more awesome doggie treats now that you have two to cook for. I also wanted to mention that I found your wonderful site three nights ago, and I am hooked! I have told a few of my friends to visit your site so they can get hooked also. Lol.

11. LJ Dubois on August 30, 2013 at 4:44 am

Einstein and Duke —what a precious pair of pups! Best wishes for much happiness and love to the whole family! Hope the finger issues resolve quickly for you. Take care …….

XO

12. Cindy Cusimano on August 30, 2013 at 4:56 am

I have a great coffee punch recipe that I have had for over 30 years…..way before Starbucks!! It is aa espresso base with chocolate syrup and milk, that you keep in the fridge. To serve, you pour it over Breyers French vanilla ice cream!! Email me if you want the recipe!!!

13. Bake Play Smile on August 30, 2013 at 6:02 am

Oh I absolutely love the photo of Duke and Einstein! Golden retrievers are just the most beautiful animals! Have fun and hope you get some sleep soon!
    :-) Lucy

14. Maria on August 30, 2013 at 6:45 am

It’s so depressing – the last day of August, so thanks for the great pup pictures. Gave me a smile to begin my day. AHHH..that last picture is too cute.

15. Lila on August 30, 2013 at 7:03 am

Awwww!!!! What a gorgeous little pup Duke is! Can’t wait to get my own retriever pup when we finally move into our house :)

16. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen on August 30, 2013 at 7:33 am

Duke is adorbs! Love that Einstein is protective of him. Yes, bring on the hockey! But, oh noooooo! So sorry to hear about your hand, Michelle. Good luck seeing the specialist. I truly hope you have some good options to get back in the swing of things. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Labor Day holiday weekend!

17. Dana on August 30, 2013 at 7:45 am

Oh, yes, yes, yes! I highly recommend Fat Mum Slim’s photo a day! I’ve been doing it since December and I think my photography eye has really improved. It’s so fun and creative. You’ll love it.

18. Kristina on August 30, 2013 at 7:53 am

Good gracious that is an adorable little fluffy face!

19. Lily @ Life, Love, and Cupcakes on August 30, 2013 at 7:54 am

OMG that little guy is SO cute!!! We’ve been wanting to get a puppy, but fall is such a busy time for us that we’ll have to wait :(
    I also had a draft this past week…my first time! I thought my team was pretty good, but Yahoo gave it a C. Oh well, we’ll see how things go!

20. giulia on August 30, 2013 at 8:22 am

oh my goodness those doggies are adorable!!!! have an amazing weekend!

21. Kathy on August 30, 2013 at 8:36 am

Your puppy is adorable! I remember when our golden was that size. Hard to believe he was ever that size now that he’s over 100 pounds! Hope they get along well!

22. Susan on August 30, 2013 at 8:41 am

That’s too funny… I immediately thought the same thing-
    ‘Einstein has a mini me’!

23. Missy on August 30, 2013 at 8:45 am

Love all the recipes and you have two of the sweetest dogs. :)

24. Gabby on August 30, 2013 at 8:57 am

I’ve been waiting all week for you to reveal the new addition! He is absolutely adorable!! I’m glad Einstein is adjusting well…it takes a little bit for them to get used to not having all the attention to themselves but in the end they end up being inseparable! Good luck with the training and I can’t wait for Einstein and Duke picture overload!

25. Donelle on August 30, 2013 at 8:58 am

Hey there! Puppy is adorable! Where did you rescue him from??!!!!

26. Jennifer on August 30, 2013 at 8:59 am

He is ADORABLE! What a sweet face! Congrats on the newest member of your family.

And hockey…bring it on! We’ve been at the rink twice this week, tournament next week. I didn’t realize I was suffering withdrawal all summer until I tripped over the smelly hockey bag in my foyer.

27. Sara on August 30, 2013 at 9:02 am

Aww what a sweet baby! Glad to see he and Einstein are hitting it off!

28. Michele on August 30, 2013 at 9:07 am

Ohhh, Duke it SO ADORABLE!! I LOVE that you share your pics of “your babies”! They always make me smile. Our Golden, Lexi died 2 1/2 yrs ago & I’m still not over it. Einstein reminds me so much of my Lexi, it makes me smile! Thanks!

29. Tieghan on August 30, 2013 at 9:37 am

Oh my gosh!! That little guy is the cutest. I want a new puppy!

30. Flavia on August 30, 2013 at 9:46 am

Congratulations on bringing Duke into your family; he is such a sweet little love-fluff! I remember when we brought our Irish Setter, Sienna, home (she was 10 weeks old) and how the sleepless nights never seemed to end, but they do! Good call on the large pitcher of iced coffee! Hoping your finger heals quickly–healing thoughts coming your way!

31. Emily @ Life on Food on August 30, 2013 at 9:53 am

Oh that dog has my heart. So cute and I love the name!

32. Shundara@SavyNaturalista on August 30, 2013 at 9:53 am

Awww he so cute…

33. Lois on August 30, 2013 at 9:55 am

Duke is a cutie-patootie. We have always been a two Goldie family and fun to watch the bond grow between the younger and older one. Love the idea of photo challenge, just afraid that I’ll find myself playing catchup at the end of each week. Love your site, have shared it numerous times. Knowing you are a Goldie lover is like icing on a cake for me!

34. Olivia @ Liv Lives Life on August 30, 2013 at 9:55 am

Aww!! He is just so cute!!!

35. Christiane ~ Taking On Magazines on August 30, 2013 at 9:57 am

Oh, I want to bury my nose into Duke’s fur and smell his puppiness, but I also want to love on Einstein and tug on his silky-soft ears. I adore Goldens and miss ours dearly. Thanks for sharing yours today. I also like (and don’t like) that cleaning schedule on Pinterest. I need to quit dragging my heels and get into a rhythm with it too. Maybe this will help. I’ll set down for a while and think on it a bit. :)

36. Lorrie on August 30, 2013 at 10:16 am

Cleaning tips from this lady are very good:

Also may I suggest a Roomba vacuum? I’ve heard they are wonderful and programmable. Plus here is a funny video with a cat on one:

Have a nice weekend!

37. Melanie @ carmelmoments.com on August 30, 2013 at 10:18 am

Puppy is absolutely adorable!

38. Michelle Shaw on August 30, 2013 at 10:19 am

Love, love, LOVE your site! …try flylady.net for your cleaning routines ;)

39. Anita at Hungry Couple on August 30, 2013 at 10:43 am

There are very few things on earth cuter than a baby Golden. :) Congrats on Duke joining the family! Even though my baby is 4 years old, I still vividly remember puppyhood and I don’t envy you right now. :)

40. Kate on August 30, 2013 at 10:44 am

Love, love, love your pups! They are so precious….I need a cleaning cycle…the only thing I have down is laundry happens on Friday. Ironing happens on Tuesday. Why? I don’t know…it just works.

41. Gina on August 30, 2013 at 10:45 am

He is so adorable. The picture of Duke and Einstein together, I fell in love with. I have a 4 year old German Shepherd but not sure how he would do with a new pup.

42. Abmiller on August 30, 2013 at 10:45 am

You made my day! You brought a huge smile to my face with the pics of your Goldie’s!
    I have 2 Goldies, myself, & it brought back memories of when they were pups! So, Thank you! I love your blog & always look forward to it! so glad I joined! :)

43. Fran@fransfavs.com on August 30, 2013 at 11:02 am

OMG, that last photo of Duke and Einstein is beyond sweet! I’m still smiling…

44. Vicki @ WITK on August 30, 2013 at 11:03 am

I’ve been meaning to do one of those photo a day things, but I always fall off the wagon and forget! Second, I love the last pic with both of your doggies, so cute! Duke is to small :)

45. nancy K on August 30, 2013 at 11:50 am

So darn cute…all that fluffiness. I bet Einstein will be a wonderful big brother.
    Thanks for sharing. Now…wedding photos, please!!

46. anisa | whisk & heels on August 30, 2013 at 11:55 am

what a cutie!! love the big/little pic :)

47. colleen @ Secrets from the Cookie Princess on August 30, 2013 at 12:43 pm

OMG Duke is awesome! What a pair. :)

I got a C on my fantasy draft…here’s hoping I turn that into a better record.

48. Maria on August 30, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Hi Duke! I hope your finger is ok!

49. Michelle on August 30, 2013 at 4:10 pm

OHHH MY!!! What a great picture of those two sitting there together. We had a 13 year old 1/2 Lab-1/2 Golden who was black when we got our Golden puppy who is now 15 months old. I have a similar picture of our two from last Steeler season and I called them my Black & Gold Duo. Our sweet Lab-Golden passed away right before Easter. I am beginning the search for another Golden puppy & can NOT wait to get one . . . I’m figuring that when I get this new pup I”ll also be getting a 2nd vacuum :). The Penguin ticket ordering has begun in our home too in anticipation of Sept 6th. Can’t wait! Fantasy Football was the rage here last weekend as we held our league’s draft. September will kick off with such a huge amount of excitement between Steelers football and Penguins hockey tickets going on sale. Good luck with your Fantasy Football team!

50. Janice on August 30, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Your dogs are SOOOOOO CUTE!!! I would be lovin’ them up every chance I got!! Your “family”!!

51. Susan on August 30, 2013 at 5:31 pm

Your puppies are both adorable!!

52. Kim Daley on August 30, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Duke is adorable! I still remember picking up our girls Roxanne and Samantha) – they were so scared
    and unsure of the car. Now it’s nothing!!!

53. Steph in Lex on August 30, 2013 at 5:49 pm

AHHHH! My head is going to explode from the cuteness!

54. Mercedes Anderson on August 30, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Ooohhh I’m playing hockey for the first time ever this fall and I’m SO excited! I hope your finger gets better!

55. Patti Z on August 30, 2013 at 6:55 pm

That picture of Duke….so precious! It’s a good thing puppies are so cute because they are a lot of work.

56. gloria on August 30, 2013 at 7:37 pm

OMY He is really , really cute!! I love puppy dogs!!

57. Cindy on August 30, 2013 at 9:32 pm

Try http://www.cleanmama.net for a cleaning schedule plus a lot more useful things.
    She has a lot of good tips!!!

58. Cindy on August 30, 2013 at 9:33 pm

What a cute puppy!!!

59. Marcia on August 30, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Duke and Einstein look like they are going to be great buddies! I have two goldens, Cali 6 and Teddy 14 months, they are inseparable. We love our goldens!

60. Patty on August 30, 2013 at 11:03 pm

This is a great website that also has “daily chores” http://www.home-ec101.com/clean-it/weekly-chore-schedule/

61. Taylor @ greens & chocolate on August 31, 2013 at 6:08 am

Duke is too stinkin’ cute!! As a fellow Golden mom and lover, you have me itching to give our Maddie a sister or brother :)

62. Judith B. on August 31, 2013 at 8:32 am

Our Bella Goldie is 4 years old – best friend ever!
    Here’s a recipe I downloaded for Mocha Frap. – haven’t tried it yet myself but it looks/sounds good:
    Mocha Frappuccino
    From Savory Sweet Life – Pastry Affair blog
    Yields 1 serving

1 1/2 cups ice cubes
    3/4 cup of milk
    1 teaspoon espresso powder mixed in 1/4 cup hot water*
    1 tablespoon sugar (more or less to taste)
    2 tablespoons chocolate syrup
    whipped cream (optional)

* If you are fancy and have an espresso machine, use 2 ounces of espresso and eliminate the espresso powder and hot water. Or, if you only have a coffee maker, you can use strong coffee in place of the espresso powder and hot water. Use 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of strong coffee and cut back on the milk accordingly.

Blend together ice, milk, espresso (cooled), sugar, and chocolate syrup. Pour into a tall glass and top with whipped cream. For an extra touch, garnish with cocoa powder or chocolate syrup.

63. Luv What You Do on August 31, 2013 at 12:44 pm

So adorable!!! I love that last photo!
    We just got a kitten a few weeks ago and it’s amazing how much joy and energy they bring to the house : )

64. Daenell Burrows on August 31, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Totally love the photos of Duke and Einstein! Those babies are beautiful! You make me happy when I see them! Thank you!

65. Delishhh on September 1, 2013 at 7:01 am

That last picture is just awesome!!!! I highly recommend getting a rumba for those little everyday vacuumes in between large cleans!

66. Robin Christensen on September 4, 2013 at 10:47 am

I just saw this post – on Wednesday – AFTER you posted it! I love the picture of Duke and Einstein – made me smile and made my day! Thank you so much for sharing it!

67. Laura Dembowski on September 5, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Your new puppy is sooo cute! Love the idea of homemade dried fruit. I hope your finger gets better soon. My mom grated her thumb some years ago. It took awhile but it is pretty much back to normal now. Sometimes time is all it needs, for better or worse.

68. Gayle on September 6, 2013 at 11:31 am

Fell in love with Einstein and now all over again with Duke. Looks like they will be BFF! Hope everything goes well with you’re finger. Did I miss the wedding pics?