Friday Things

Duke - 9 weeks old!

1. Duke will be 10 weeks old tomorrow, and my what a difference a week makes! His face has matured, his legs have grown like weeds and his ears have even gotten longer… all in one week! He’s become much more playful and energetic, which means that our house has turned into a full-time circus when you throw Einstein into the mix.

2. I mentioned last week that I was going to see a hand specialist about my finger issues since I sliced it back in June. Well, the doctor believes there is some scar tissue issues and/or tendon damage and recommended surgery, which would consist of a recovery time of anywhere from one week with stitches to eight weeks in a full forearm splint. Can you say, “ugghhhh”?! I’m going to get a second opinion before I get sliced open, but, ughhh not good news.

3. As you know, I’ve been referring to my now-husband as my Chief Culinary Consultant since we began dating nearly five years ago. Since we’re married now, I thought I would take a little informal reader poll… Would you like me to continue referring to him as my Chief Culinary Consultant, or “my husband”? Feel free to cast a vote in the comments below :)

4. I have become completely enamored with Bobbi Brown makeup. I started buying it here and there a few years ago, and now 99% of my makeup bag consists of Bobbi Brown. Are any of you long-time users? Do you have any favorite product recommendations or suggestions for “looks” to put together?

5. A BEB reader, Lola, created a gluten-free version of the Snickers Cake that I created in April for my dad’s birthday. If you are on the hunt for gluten-free recipes, be sure to check out her modification!

6. The Essie Fall 2013 nail colors are out!

Essie Fall 2013

I picked up three of them last weekend – Twin Sweater Set (#1), The Lace Is On (#2) and After School Boy Blazer (#4). The “boy blazer” color is a rich blue-black color, which is pretty different from what I usually wear, but I decided to step outside my box. Any tips for wearing this color? Is it best with certain clothes of a certain shade?

7. I’ve just recently started reading about cooking bacon in the oven instead of in a skillet. I love skillet bacon, but it makes a huge mess and it takes quite awhile. When I’m lazy, I use the microwave, but that can get equally as greasy. Have any of you made bacon in the oven? Thumbs up? I think I’m going to give it a try this weekend. I’ll be sure to report back :)

8. I am more than ready to do some fall shoe shopping. I’m in desperate need of some nice brown boots, and I have my eye on this pair of Frye boots. I have a hard time getting over the price hurdle, though. If you have Frye boots, are they really long-lasting? If I’m going to spend that much, I want to be able to wear them for more than a couple of seasons!

9. Also on my fall shopping list is a new purse. I’m a big Coach fan, but I’m thinking of checking out some other brands this fall. Who are your favorite purse makers?

10. TGIF! All you need is love… ♥

Duke & Einstein sleeping

237 Responses to “Friday Things”

Comment Pages 1 2 3
  1. Hanna on September 6, 2013 at 12:12 am

Oh, Duke is so cute! We will have our first ever puppy home in 2 weeks time!
    If you want to check some serious bacon baking in the oven I recommend that you check out Epic Meal Time videos on YouTube. If anything those guys can really make delicious looking bacon in the oven. My son loves them and shares their new extravaganzas with the whole family once in a while.

2. Meredith on September 6, 2013 at 12:17 am

Even though he’s now your husband, he’ll still be your Chief Culinary Consultant so I would vote to stay the same especially when you’re talking about food. On other mattters it would seem reasonable to refer to him as your husband.

3. Fiona @ Get Fit Fiona on September 6, 2013 at 12:25 am

I vote for chief culinary consultant.

And your dogs are so cute together!

4. Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious on September 6, 2013 at 12:40 am

Awwww I want to take Duke home with me! So freaking cute! Sorry to hear about your hand issues – hope everything works out!

5. Ellen on September 6, 2013 at 12:47 am

Chief Culinary Consultant is my vote. Bacon is the bomb in the oven! We make regular and turkey bacon on a sheet of foil in our oven every weekend. Will never go back to pan frying!

6. Kerry on September 6, 2013 at 12:48 am

Keep it Chief Culinary Consultant – don’t fix what ain’t broke! :)

Bacon in the oven is awesome! Especially when making a bunch – put some foil underneath a baking rack on a cookie sheet and bake away! Then just roll up the foil and toss it when you’re done – voila! No fuss!

The pups are way too cute!

7. Kristen on September 6, 2013 at 1:04 am

Awww Duke is so cute! I’d say keep Chief Culinary Consultant, bacon in the oven is awesome! And for purses, check out Fossil. I’m a big Coach fan too but I like Fossil purses just as much

8. Maggie on September 6, 2013 at 1:12 am

Chief culinary consultant sounds a bit juvenile when used all the time. Maybe some mix of the two. Your dogs are adorable

9. Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girl on September 6, 2013 at 1:48 am

More Duke pictures, please!!

10. Grannie Geek on September 6, 2013 at 1:49 am

Duke is adorable, and the picture of he and Einstein is priceless. Looks like they’re getting along – happy days!. Have baked bacon in the oven for 15 years – can’t beat how flat and crispy it becomes. Have my eyes on a Caphalon griddle with a removable wire rack – perfect not only for baking bacon, but draining fried chicken, fish, etc, after frying. And the regular grill for pancakes, grilled cheese, french toast, polenta, etc. was exciting to me. I’m getting two for Christmas when I fry three chickens for dinner. I think, the perfect multi-purpose grill pan. Frye boots have an incredible reputation – although i’ve never owned a pair, my thighs are too wide, lots of my hippie-60′s friends did and swore by the brand. I’ve become fond of SAK purses – lots of styles, wide price range, and just very cute. They make a two-fold crocheted wallet with zipper bags on the inside that I’ve got on my wish list. As far a nail polish goes, i’m growing weary of getting gel for my fingernails, but unable to find matching reg polish for my toes – alas . . .

Chief Culinary Consultant, would we know you by another name, and, more importantly, would you lose your credibility and status? I mean, we would read and wonder “Who on the Earth is Earl??” Perhaps a photo would be nice – somewhere sleeping between Duke and Einstein.

Congratulations on your marriage and recent family addition. Best wishes for your happy and successful future.

11. giulia on September 6, 2013 at 1:56 am

oh my goodness what cuteness do i see!!!!!!! i am in loveeee with your puppy – he is a ball of softness! also my favourite brand of purses is furla – an italian brand :) have a great weekend!

12. Raye on September 6, 2013 at 2:16 am

I say stick with Chief Culinary Consultant! Your pups are adorable.

13. Kristi on September 6, 2013 at 3:07 am

I say stick with Chief Culinary Consultant, even thought it’s a little longer to type than “my husband”.
    I also think you should try a different brand bag.. maybe Michael Kors?

• Kerri Marshall on September 6th, 2013 at 8:06 am

Love Michael Kors bags!

14. Marie on September 6, 2013 at 3:10 am

I am such a Golden Retriever fan and that last pic of Einstein is too cute! If your finger/hand drama prevents some baking time you can just keep the pics of those two coming ;)

15. Lila on September 6, 2013 at 3:51 am

I must be honest I think you should call him your husband or “your husband formerly known as CCC”!

Gorgeous puppies!

16. Inger on September 6, 2013 at 4:00 am

I think you should stick with CCC since he still is that! I got married last year and it’s great calling someone “my husband”, but on this blog I’d still say he’s your CCC.

About the nice boots: do they have any texture at all underneath? Looks like you’d risk falling fall at the first hint of snow/ice/water on a tiled floor..

17. Shana on September 6, 2013 at 4:09 am

So glad to see that Einstein is accepting the new guy! Thanks for the heads-up on the new Essie colors!

18. Tamika on September 6, 2013 at 4:18 am

I am sorry to read that you may need surgery on your hand. From what I read looks like you may be having the same surgery I had on my right hand back in 2010 to repair 3 fingers. I wish I had never went through with the surgery, for a couple of reasons. So I strongly suggest you get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion and leave the surgery as your very, very last option. If having the surgery is a must. Be prepared not to cook for awhile. I wish you the best and congrats to you and your Chief Culinary Consultant. I say stick with that title, now that your married its sounds so much sweeter.

19. Jill on September 6, 2013 at 4:30 am

Long-time follower, first time commenter.
    1. LOVE your site. LOVE you.
    2. I’m a ‘Burger too so I appreciate Friday’s for your Pittsburgh-related “things.”
    3. Re: oven-cooked bacon. It is a no-go for crispy, breakfast bacon that is to be slathered in egg yolks. However, I bake my bacon for everything else. It seems to work well for cooking bacon ahead for use in recipes. I under-cook it just a bit, freeze it, and then when you need a few slices for something, you can reheat in a pan with WAY less mess.

20. Leanna R on September 6, 2013 at 5:26 am

CCC is the name we know him by..any pictures of him? Just wondering. Bacon in the oven works well ..seems to take a long time though. Wonderful purses are made in Pittsburg
    They even have Penguin purses. I have had one of their purses for years and get major comments on it. Not really dress-up but very fun.

21. Faye on September 6, 2013 at 5:27 am

I think you should adopt the change and call him your ‘husband’, it celebrates the commitment you have given to each other, any other day you would refer to him as your husband, why not on your blog, by the way your dogs are majorly cute!

22. Beth on September 6, 2013 at 5:39 am

First of all, love your blog and have thoroughly enjoyed the recipes I’ve tried! Made salted caramel choc chip bars last night and can’t wait to try one (for breakfast?!?!)
    I started making bacon in the oven about 6 months ago and am a huge fan!! I recommend putting aluminum foil on the pan and taking the bacon off the pan and placing on paper towels ASAP when it’s done.

After 5 years why start calling chief culinary consultant husband? CIC is an important role!!

Love Bobbi Brown and used it forever. The tinted balm has been a life-saver for me in the winter. My skin is dry and even the mild winters of NC cause my skin to dry up. I’ve started using Bare Minerals and never thought I’d leave Bobbi but so far, I’m loving the Bare Minerals experience.

I love the look of the dark blue/black polish. Can an almost 48-year old wear it? And can’t wait to read the comments to you on how to wear it.

I rarely read blogs – go straight for the recipe – but really enjoy reading yours!

Have a great day.

23. Reid on September 6, 2013 at 5:41 am

Check out Michael Kors! I absolutely love his handbags.

24. Joanie on September 6, 2013 at 5:46 am

CCC-that’s the best! the only way to cook bacon is in the oven!

25. Averie @ Averie Cooks on September 6, 2013 at 5:52 am

Call him your husband. I read your blog for 2+ yrs and thought the CCC was like…some rep you knew at Betty Crocker or something. It took me awhile to figure out it was your boyf/fiancee. But call him whatever flows and works for you! People do figure it out :)

Your hand. Omg so sorry to hear that! Yes to second opinions!

And the Frye boots. Everyone who I know with them, loves them. Too hot here to wear boots like that but I would not shy away from dropping money on them if you love them. I have spent almost that on a piece of old wood to take pictures on. Yeah, crazy :)

26. Julie on September 6, 2013 at 5:57 am

I love that you call him your CCC. And he still holds that role, right?

I only cook bacon in the oven now. It’s easier to clean up (line the pan with foil or parchment), plus I think it’s easier to control the done-ness of it.

27. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on September 6, 2013 at 6:05 am

I bought a pair of Fryes at the Nordstrom anniversary sale a few years ago (they were still $$) and I am still obsessed with them. They hold up amazingly well. Worth it!

28. Emily @ one.1.northwood on September 6, 2013 at 6:06 am

Yes! Bacon in the oven is the way to go! I started that in the past couple of years and I think it makes a difference for a couple of reasons. 1. Easier to cook a lot of bacon (For a crowd or for just you.. no judging!). 2. It gets crispier, doesn’t sit in the grease and stays flatter. 3. No standing over a hot stove! 4. Plus you have the stove top and your hands free for other important things… pancakes! Finally, you can add some rubs/sugars/spices to the bacon when it’s not cooking in the grease. Ok, that’s it.. probably more than you wanted to know :)

29. Randy on September 6, 2013 at 6:12 am

Stick with CCC

Oven-baked bacon is great, but if you use a rack, it never really gets crispy enough. It has to really fry in its own grease to get crispy. Just lay it in a rimmed baking pan and pop it in the oven. (Since I discovered it, I use the microwave almost exclusively to make bacon – a triple layer of paper towel above and below completely contains any grease.)

30. Charlene Yuhas on September 6, 2013 at 6:14 am

Thumbs up for CCC. What would Bert be without Ernie, or Batman without Robin?? I can honestly say yours is the ONLY blog I follow daily. In fact when I share things with the hubby and kids the tease me that I talk about you like we are best friends. Your Italian background, cooking style and love of Goldens is very similar to mine so I can totally relate. I am so loving the baby pics!! I also have 2 Goldens (had 3 but our girl passed last year) they add so much life to your family! Enjoy the fall shopping! Never ever hurts to get a 2nd opinion before someone wants to hack away at you! Have a Wonderful weekend!!

31. Lynne on September 6, 2013 at 6:26 am

My opinion is you should start calling him your husband. I think it is confusing to readers to refer to him as CCC when the relationship is more than that.
    I have broiled my bacon since day one – that’s always how my father did it (he cooked us Sunday breakfast). It’s still messy. I just recently learned that you should leave your rack in the middle of the oven when broiling because it cooks more evenly – and it’s true! I love bacon cooked this way and only resort to precooked or microwave when being lazy.
    When I was first dating my boyfriend who would be my husband, he bought me Frye boots. I loved them and wore them until they were no longer in style, then had them in the closet for years before I donated them. Kicking myself now for that – I imagine the woman who found them at the thrift shop, what a find! But, my foot has grown and my calves were always big, so they wouldn’t have fit anyway. Even though they are supposed to be timeless, mine did get dated – they’d be back in style now, but it took 2 decades.

32. Carissa on September 6, 2013 at 6:50 am

Looks like I’m in the minority but I vote for husband! CCC is so unwieldy.

33. Kim on September 6, 2013 at 6:55 am

LOVE the dogs. I want them :) bacon in the oven is the only way to make it. Bobbi Brown gel eye liner is the best eyeliner out there! I but the bullet and bought 2 pairs of Frye boots last year and never looked back….can’t wait to break them out. Love Michael Kors bags, check out Tano’s too. Cool slouchy and lightweight.

34. Liz on September 6, 2013 at 6:56 am

Love my Frye boots and think they totally justify the price. I do second the comment about them being slippery in snow. Mine aren’t too scuffed on the bottom and I slip when there is a bit of snow/ice on the sidewalk. Love to hear what long-term Frye owners say, and/or, what other options you come up with!

35. Nancy on September 6, 2013 at 7:09 am

I vote for CCC. Love your blog. Wish you the best.

36. Ellen on September 6, 2013 at 7:10 am

Bacon in oven is the best! Line pan with foil, top with bacon and bake at 400 for about 20 min. After removing bacon and letting it cool fold up the foil and pitch–no muss, no fuss! Bacon stays a flat strip, not a curled up mess.

CCC–he still is!

Sorry about your hand. :(

37. Robby on September 6, 2013 at 7:31 am

I think the way to go is to ask him if he prefers CCC or husband. Sort of like asking someone if the prefer their formal name or a nickname. Always nice to choose how the world recognizes us, IMO

Bacon in the oven has been my MO for about 12 years now. Actually do sausage that way sometimes as well. I line my pan with foil for easy cleaning and put the bacon directly on that. The second side cooks in some rendered fat so it’s similar to pan fry with less mess all around. And you can certainly drain and use the fat from the pan should you need it.

• Michelle on September 6th, 2013 at 9:43 am

Hi Robby, I actually did ask him… he suggested polling my readers :)

38. Heike on September 6, 2013 at 7:31 am

I had almost always gone to Fossil for purses, love the sleekness and not too bulky purse (don’t feel like carrying a suitcase or backpack-like tote, rather like the smaller/slimmer look). However … :) just discovered Baggolini in the last 6 months ?. LOVE them too! I refuse to pay such high prices on purses, even though I would love to get a Coach sometime, but really liking Baggolini and Fossil.
    So sorry to hear about your hand, def get a second or third opinion.
    I’m kind of old-fashioned, like the term husband. It took me a few reads too to know who CCC was :)
    Love the pics of the furry four legged family members … So adorable!

• Suz on September 6th, 2013 at 10:45 am

Huge Fossil fan, the leather last what seems like forever and I am in construction and really tough on things!

Please get a second opinion and get as much PT as they will allow, Speaking from personal experience. It is what will get you back to 100%

Another vote for CCC, husband is your personal lfe and CCC is your business life and when you refer to him in business he has his title.

A single wedding picture please ? Our best wishes for continued happoness, health and love.

S

39. Kristie on September 6, 2013 at 7:33 am

Let me start by saying Duke is absolutely adorable!! Second I think calling your husband your chief culinary consultant is a perfect title… My hubby is the same I consider him the chief of a lot .. When the lawn needs mowing he is the lawn chief when something breaks he is the chief engineer !!
    Now on to the bacon… I started cooking it in the oven years ago and haven’t looked at a skillet for the job since!! It cooks up nice and crispy, less mess in my opinion perfect. I would suggest first trying place bacon on a cooling rack placed on a baking sheet… I don’t always do that but works well!!
    Hope all goes well with your hand! Sorry that stinks!!

40. Terri S. on September 6, 2013 at 7:34 am

1. Chief Culinary Consultant gets my vote.
    2. Bacon in the oven is GOOD, and much less messy.
    3. Try Tignanello purses, good quality and so many of them have the outside slip pockets which I love, for keys, phone, etc.

• Lauren on September 6th, 2013 at 11:01 am

I concur! I LOVE Tignanello purses!

41. Karen on September 6, 2013 at 7:39 am

Duke is adorable!!! Love to bake bacon in the oven. Lay bacon out on a sheet pan (covered in foil or parchment) and place in a COLD oven. Set oven temperature to 500 degrees, bake for about 15 minutes or until your desired doneness. Found this to be the best oven-roasting for bacon I’ve tried.

42. Amy K on September 6, 2013 at 7:41 am

Adorable picture of the two of them together!
    I vote you continue with C.C.C.
    I also have not gone back to skillet bacon since trying the oven version. The clean up is so easy.
    Good luck with the hand, and potential surgery. I went through an injury and subsequent surgery about this time last year.

43. Missy on September 6, 2013 at 7:44 am

Those pups are TOO cute! Melts my heart this morning.

44. Dena on September 6, 2013 at 7:44 am

I still like CCC–that’s who he is to all your readers.
    Your pups are adorable.
    I LOVE my Frye boots! I have the Melissa Button in cognac. My husband gave them to me for my birthday last year and I wore them a lot in the fall, winter and really early spring. I refuse to wear them out in the slushy, wet and snowy weather. I don’t want to ruin the leather. I have more appropriate boots for that weather.
    I have a bunch of Cole Haan purses and they are awesome!

45. Barb on September 6, 2013 at 7:55 am

I say keep using CCC! Bacon in the oven is the way to go. I have a large griddle pan that I can cook the whole pack of bacon on at once and I use the Convection setting on my oven, set at 425 deg F. It only needs to cook for about 15 minutes and it turns out crispy and beautiful! Frye Boots….they are everything good you’ve heard! I’ve had a pair of Bronze Harness boots for 8 years now and they still look great. They seem to always run 1/2 size big and they do stretch out so if you get your correct size, after they stretch, they will be too loose. But I highly recommend them and I have had my eye on a pair since last year that retail for $398! One of these days…..Are you a member of the Coach Factory Outlet? You can sign up at http://www.coachfactory.com. I just bought my first Coach bag, but have friends who love Dooney & Bourke and also Michael Kors. Good Luck! Your dogs are the cutest!!!

46. Marijka Bosma on September 6, 2013 at 8:02 am

Is physical therapy an option? I had a large biopsy on my chest leaving me with lots of pain and little arm movement, I tried thereby befor going under the knife again. Worked great, so glad I tried it first! Good luck.

47. Jeri Barry on September 6, 2013 at 8:05 am

I love Kate Spade purses. Tons of styles and sizes and their website is fantastic. They also have amazing sales and you can sign up for e mail notifications for them. I plan to check out Michael Kors bags after reading these comments. LOVE your blog!! Happy shopping!

48. Tracy | Peanut Butter and Onion on September 6, 2013 at 8:07 am

I imagine typeing “my chief culinary ….” is a lot. My husband is much shorter. I love OTHER people’s puppies….:)

49. Stacie on September 6, 2013 at 8:08 am

Michelle! What adorable-ness you have going on at your house! Stick with the “CCC”- it’s just how we’ve all come to know him, lol. I’ve heard that Frye boots are amazing but, I’m with you on the price hurdle. Burberry purses are classic, and last forever. I’ve had mine for 5 years now, and is holding up just as well as the day I bought it! I like the Michael Kors line, too, if you’re looking for something a little more modern. OH! Oven bacon is the only way I make it now. I take some foil, crinkle it up, and then lay it on a sheet pan. It catches the bacon grease in all those little folds, and is the easiest clean-up on the planet!
    Thanks for always having amazing food to share!

50. ENID LUCHETTI on September 6, 2013 at 8:10 am

TOO CUTE THE PUPPIES….TRY LUCKY BRAND FOR BOOTS THEY ARE WONDERFUL QUALITY. I THINK YOU SHOULD REFER TO HIM AS HUSBAND, YES BACON IN OVEN IS WONDERFUL AND CRISP

51. Rose Marie on September 6, 2013 at 8:14 am

I agree with the others to keep your husbands’ title as the Chief Culinary Consultant, Makes him sound important. :)
    Absolutely love the picture of the Goldens sleeping together. I have one as well and out of all the dogs I’ve had (even raised collies for the ranchers) they are by far the smartest.
    As for cooking bacon, I too have done it in the microwave, but also do it on my Geo Forman Grill and you don’t have it soaking in grease doing it this way.

52. Ally on September 6, 2013 at 8:14 am

If you twist each bacon slice up like a cork screw before baking it will get nice and cripsy! It just won’t be flat, if that’s important to you. I’m a HUGE fan of oven cooked bacon.

53. Reshana on September 6, 2013 at 8:16 am

I like “hubby” x
    thank you for all the amazing recipes.
    Love you stax

54. Meaghan on September 6, 2013 at 8:19 am

I think you should stick with “CCC”. Essie nail polish cannot be beat. Unless I’m dressing for a special occasion in the very near future, I never worry about what my nail color goes with. Instead, I usually pick a color based on the season and my mood. as for purses, I’m a big fan of Fossil. They can be pricey but they come in so many colors and styles and are quality products. And if you’re fortunate enough to have a Fossil outlet near you, you can get some pretty awesome deals.

55. Jennifer on September 6, 2013 at 8:21 am

I have 2 pairs of Frye shoes and L O V E them but don’t know about their boots specifically. All of their products are handmade in the US I believe – it’s great to support your economy – and they will last forever. Frye was my first stop on my left trip to NY so I could treat myself to a new pair of shoes.
    I vote for CCC – it’s sweet and endearing.
    Nail polish doesn’t really have to match anymore, and blue black falls into the neutral category so goes with anything.
    Good luck with your finger. Sounds like an awful ordeal. Mine are crossed that it all works out.

56. Dana on September 6, 2013 at 8:27 am

I vote for calling your recently-promoted CCC whatever you feel comfortable with! :)
    Your poor hand! Surgery would certainly limit your baking ability. Hopefully you can avoid it!
    I don’t have any Frye boots, but my hubby is a boot connoisseur and loves the pair he has. I definitely think they’d last you more than a few seasons, especially if you’re not wearing them every day.

57. Lauren Ann on September 6, 2013 at 8:28 am

I love the title of CCC (although it did take me a while to figure out that he was your partner), but husband works too! Must be fun getting to say that now. :)
    I have OPI “Russian Navy” which is similar to the dark blue you’ve bought. I find it works with everything – seriously. Just make sure that your nails aren’t too long with such a dark colour.

58. Sarah on September 6, 2013 at 8:36 am

I love that you call your husband your Chef Culinary Consultant!!! I think it’s adorable. And Duke is the perfect addition :) what a handsome little bub.
    Frye boots are worth the price, super comfortable annd long lasting. I also have a pair of Michael Kors which I love just as much, and less in price.

59. SusieQ on September 6, 2013 at 8:37 am

CCC. For a long time I wasn’t sure if you CCC was your guy or you pooch. LOL
    I’m a big fan of cooking bacon in the oven. I’m not a fan of the mess that frying bacon makes, plus it doesn’t have to be supervised as much as pan frying.
    Can’t speak to the make-up, polish, or boots.
    So sorry about your dr.’s report that sticks!
    Have a great weekend. :)

60. Alisa on September 6, 2013 at 8:38 am

Love the pics of your dogs ( so does my on), but when will we
    get to see any wedding photos??!!!!
    Bobbi Brown gel eyeliner is the best.
    Have you checked out Tori Burch purses? I’m
    in love, but haven’t splurged yet.

61. Katy on September 6, 2013 at 8:39 am

Get that second opinion!! Kate Spade is my favorite purse brand. Classic pieces and whimsical pieces, plus there are always great sales (sign up for the emails). Yes, Frye boots are worth it! With shoe polish and a little extra attention, they’ll last for years and years. Regarding bacon, cooking it in the oven is my preferred method. Even cooking, not as much mess (I line the baking sheet with foil below the rack), and you can save the bacon fat for cooking eggs or something else. Plus, I like brushing mine with pure maple syrup and sprinkling with black pepper near the end of cooking for extra flava! Finally, did you see the Malkin interview from Pens media day yesterday? Ah-maz-ing! :) Happy Friday!

62. Jayne on September 6, 2013 at 8:40 am

Bacon in the oven is the only way to go. Turn oven on 400 degrees – don’t preheat just put the bacon in the oven on a cookie sheet and bake for about 20 minutes. I usually turn about halfway through. So much easier!

63. Wendy on September 6, 2013 at 8:41 am

Perhaps you could give him a promotion to Chief Culinary Advisor.

64. Alesha KC on September 6, 2013 at 8:44 am

I enjoy your posts. Thank you for sharing your life with us.
    I believe that once someone important to us assumes a position in sonething that you find important, they always have that position. Congrats on your wedding.

I have been cooking bacon in the oven for some time now. I like that the cleanup is as simple as taking off the foil and washing the pan. To me it comes out evenly cooked when placed in the oven.

65. Kim on September 6, 2013 at 8:45 am

OMG!! I can’t believe how sweet your little puppy is! Just makes me want to rush out and get one….and then I remember how much work they can be as well. My sister is a German Shepard fan and got a puppy a few months ago. He is just the sweetest thing but lots of work. By the way, your husband may be your husband but to us he’s your CCC. Well, here in South Africa summer is arriving and I’m loving it. Time to crank out my ice-cream maker and get the freezer full of some divine flavours. Hopefully you’ll be posting lots more recipes as your ice-cream recipes are my favourites!

66. Monica on September 6, 2013 at 8:57 am

Love your website, recipes and posts. Duke is adorable and vote to call your husband , “your husband!” Often fry bacon in the oven. Lay it in a rack, on a large jelly roll pan that is lined with parchment. Gets crispy as the grease falls through the rack and cleanup is easy with the parchment. 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes!

67. StacyM on September 6, 2013 at 9:01 am

Keep the CCC. I have made bacon in the oven once. It was good and crispy when we ate it, but the leftovers seemed limp instead of holding their crisp. I may have to try again. I love Fossil purses and Kate Spade if you’re not as casual.

68. Emily on September 6, 2013 at 9:02 am

1. You puppy is ADORABLE! I have major puppy fever right now, and all the cuteness happening on your blog is not helping my husband’s argument to “wait until we get a dog.” :)

2. I bake my bacon in the oven and I’ll never go back. Fit as many as you can on a baking sheet covered in parchment paper and put into a COLD oven. Set the oven to bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Depending on the thickness of the bacon, you can go a little more or less time. I like my bacon crispy but not burnt, and if you want perfect flat crispy bacon to go on sandwiches or burgers, than this is how you get it! Looking forward to see how you master baking your bacon.

3. Have you ever heard of Thirty-One? It’s a purse/organizational bag company based out of Ohio that is sold specifically through independent consultants (like Mary Kay, Pampered Chef, etc.). I love them because their bags are affordable and they last a LONG time. They have several new fall purses that just came out as well as…wait for it….PANTRY organization! They even have an insulated bag that can hold two 9×13 pans, which is definitely going on my wish list. I love them so much that I became a consultant. If you want to check them out, my website is http://www.mythirtyone.com/etedrow. The catalog and my e-mail are on the site if you want to get in touch. :)

4. I’m so sorry about your hand! Praying that second opinion will be much better news.

5. I like “Chief Culinary Consultant,” but when I was a newlywed I wanted to call him “husband” ALL the time because it was FUN! So, do whatever you like. I’m sure you’ll still have a massive amount of readers no matter what his name is. :)

69. Kel on September 6, 2013 at 9:03 am

Congrats on your wedding! I would prefer “my husband”.

Bacon in the oven -works well. I put it on a grill tray over top of a sheet pan to catch the grease. And I usually put parchment down on the sheet pan to make it easier to throw away all the grease once it has cooled.

70. Kel on September 6, 2013 at 9:04 am

Sooooo sorry about your hand!!

71. Nancy on September 6, 2013 at 9:05 am

I vote ‘husband’. I have Frye boots and they are long lasting but I have to admit, not the most comfortable. I can’t wear them all day and night. Too stiff…bacon in the over is great, but you have to think ahead (preheat, etc…). But very crisp and delicious without the mess

72. Vicki on September 6, 2013 at 9:09 am

Even though your boyfriend has lovingly become your husband, he will always fondly be your CCC. Keep that title, as he has earned it as your most trusted opinion when it comes to taste tests! Congratulations on your marriage!

73. Sue Fletcher on September 6, 2013 at 9:18 am

oh my god these puppy pictures are KILLING me! i lost my golden retriever 2 months ago and her baby brother – a golden doodle – is longing for a new companion. i don’t know if i’m up for the puppy thing all over again, but these photos are nudging me to take the plunge!

74. Marla on September 6, 2013 at 9:20 am

1. Chief Culinary Consultant has my vote. Lots of people have husbands, but how many have a CCC?
    2. Love Bobbie Brown.
    3. Try Tignanello purses – great quality, not inexpensive but less than Coach for sure. I also like my Fossils.
    4. Bacon in the oven rocks! Cooks Illustrated’s method is good, except I use parchment paper. Foil is probably easier cleanup but a one time use like that seems wasteful to me (yes, I reuse my foil until it has pin holes in it!). Also, in Arizona, we use the grill a lot to keep the heat out of the kitchen. I’ve used the same method on the grill and it works great.
    5. Sucks about your finger! Definitely do the 2nd opinion but if it’s the same, don’t be afraid. My neighbor impaled (yes, impaled) her hand on a garden rake last spring, did the physical therapy all summer and still was not doing well (limited movement being the biggest issue). Last week she had surgery to remove the scar tissue. Stiches are still in and her hand is in a pressure bandage, but now she has full movement! It’s amazing how much better her hand is in just 1 week! But whatever you decide, we’re ALL sending best wishes your way for a full recovery!

75. Anonymous on September 6, 2013 at 9:25 am

I would definitely go with husband. When I first started reading your blog I thought you were taking cooking lessons and was surprised at how close you were with your teacher. :P Even if you don’t change it to “husband” I’d change it to something more clear.

76. Sam on September 6, 2013 at 9:27 am

Marc by Marc Jacobs has some great purses. A little more expensive than coach, but very sleek, simple and versatile. I got mine for Christmas two years ago and it still looks as good as new. I vote for Chief Culinary Consultant–very creative :)

77. Angela on September 6, 2013 at 9:28 am

I vote for “husband”, he’s earned the title;) OR CCC/hubs! I feel like writing out Chief Culinary Consultant is kind of daunting, but I don’t have to do it, so if it doesn’t bother you then feel free to continue;)
    Duke…. LOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVE!!!
    Boots… LOVVVVVVVVVVE!
    Purse…. I like Fossil… it’s a nice fun kind of sporty look. It looks nice with boots cuz some of them are rugged.
    I want to give you props on your blog!! My goto used to be Our Best Bites, but since they have put out a calendar and I think a book they have been lacking imo. I LOVE that you are consistent and put out great recipes daily! Don’t get lost in the fame, and I also like that you don’t put pics of EVERY step… I mean I think we know what an egg in a bowl looks like… thanks for the credit;) I think you are doing an amazing job the way you are running your blog. Also, congrats on the marriage!!! And the house!!! And the puppy!! big year;) Bummer on the hand, but it appears to be fixable… small down time, but then you hopefully will be good to go! Maybe you can get the hubs in the kitchen to help, with your constant supervision of course;)
    Thanks for being you…. keep it up!!
    Angela from http://www.sweetfromscratch.com

78. Katie on September 6, 2013 at 9:30 am

The new pup’s so cute!
    As for bacon, I always make it in the oven, just make sure you lie them totally flat and not touching. You may want to flip em halfway through. Cook at around 400.
    For boots, go to Aldo! I got my brown leather boots there two years ago, and they’re still in great shape. Under a hundred bucks too!

79. Nancy on September 6, 2013 at 9:49 am

Please call him your husband. The term Chief Culinary Consultant has always grated on my nerves. Duke is adorable, he makes feel like I need another puppy in my life STAT!

80. Colleen on September 6, 2013 at 9:49 am

I love making bacon in the oven! We line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper, put it in the cold oven at around 425 and let it crisp up. I’ve found that it doesn’t shrivel up nearly as much, tastes so crispy, and I don’t burn myself with grease splatters! Clean up goes pretty quick – we let the pan sit for awhile and then just peel the parchment paper directly into the trash barrel.
    Also – I love Chief Culinary Consultant as a reference point. I don’t think I ever realized y’all weren’t married until you talked about your wedding. I think it’s a great way to refer to your husband.

81. Lucy on September 6, 2013 at 9:51 am

I say call your hubby whatever strikes your fancy. Some days he may be the CCC somedays just hubby :). Your little puppy is adorable! But then both your dogs are. :) I am a dog lover! I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Freckles who thinks he is a human. His birthday is Oct. 17th and he will be 9. He hasn’t slowed down yet, and he is so lovable, he loves to get hugs when I get home from work and he loves to snuggle in bed at night. And he is wonderful with my little grandchildren! I recently found a great line of makeup from Mally. I’m not sure where else you can buy it except for QVC. For years I have been putting up with eyeshadow that creases by mid-day and fades so much by 3pm there’s only a trace of my eyeshadow left, I look like I don’t care about my appearance and don’t like to give that impression. Mally claims her makeup is “bulletproof” and it really is!! I put on her eyeshadow at 6am and come home at 6pm and no creases, nothing!!! My eyes look fabulous all day long and my eyeshadow is still going strong!! I also love her mascara! I went to the MAC counter at Nordstrom’s to experiment in trying false eyelashes for special occasions. I got so many compliments from the cosmetologists behind the counter, they wanted to know what mascara I was using. They didn’t think I needed false eyelashes, long story short, I tried the lashes and was not happy. They just looked fake. BTW, Mally has eyeshadow in shades that are not sparkly. Since I am now 55, I don’t like the sparkles in my eyeshadow, they tend to draw attention to small wrinkles around the eyes and the matte colors are so much more pleasing and natural looking. It’s very hard to find a matte eyeshadow anymore in the store. As for foundation, I started using Tarte amazonian clay full coverage foundation. I love it! It’s good for your skin, and it doesn’t smell like chemicals like the MAC does and the coverage lasts me all day, even in the hot, humid days of summer. Ok, purses, I am a HUGE Kate Spade fan. I love everything Kate Spade!! I love the bows, stripes, colors and shapes she uses in her purses, wallets, etc. I have a hard time buying any other line. I had my eye on a Michael Kors bag recently when I was shopping for a crossbody bag but decided to wander over to the Kate Spade bags before I made my final decision and saw the most adorable black leather crossbody with a bow on the front and I was in love. I’ve never tried the Frye boots but have also been shopping for a pair of black boots this year, I’ve seen the Frye boots and they are a bit pricey but I would imagine they would give you several years of wear, Frye boots have been around forever. I just haven’t seen anything yet that knocks my socks off so until I do, I’ll keep looking. I love to read your blogs and the comments other readers post. Please post a picture of your boots, maybe I’ll go with those also!! :) And please post your method for baking bacon. I’ve seen Ina Garten do it and she swears by it. Have a wonderful weekend and HAPPY BAKING!!!!!!!

82. Sharon on September 6, 2013 at 9:56 am

We cook our bacon on the BBQ. Use an old cookie sheets lined with foil. No smell or mess in the house at all! We also use the thick cut bacon. It comes out flat and perfectly cooked.

83. Kate on September 6, 2013 at 10:00 am

Congrats on your wedding! and your new pup- he is breathtakingly cute!! My vote is call your husband your husband :) Love your site- it’s my first go-to when looking for a recipe and you never disappoint!

84. Ginny on September 6, 2013 at 10:01 am

I love your Friday Things! I also love CCC. Duke is sooo cute and the picture of him with Einstein is adorable! Ackkkk I feel the need for another puppy! I already have three doogs, my husband would kill me! So sorry to hear about your hand what a bummer, been there done that, just do what they need you to get where you need to be. You may want to see if there is an OT (vs a PT) that specializes in hand therapy in your area. They did wonders for me. Love the nail colors but what is make-up? My son reminded me about the bacon in the oven trick (my mom would do it this way when we had a crowd before microwaves where invented). Have a great weekend full of puppy fun!

85. Carolette on September 6, 2013 at 10:01 am

That last picture of the dogs sleeping together is so cute! I love Bobbi Brown makeup – I’ve used it for years. They always have the perfect colors for a neutral, polished look. I especially like her matte shadows

86. Sarah on September 6, 2013 at 10:01 am

1) I vote for “husband”
    2) Yes you will love you Frye boots and wear them forever and ever.
    3) The picture of the two pups sleeping is the most adorable thing!

87. paula h on September 6, 2013 at 10:01 am

I like CCC…it’s cute but respectful, as opposed to some of the references by other bloggers…Wendy’s suggestion of CCA is a good one as well.
    Love Bobbi Brown’s lip gloss in tangerine.

88. S Basich on September 6, 2013 at 10:03 am

Your husband should be called you husband! As for bacon in the oven, no other way. Line your cookie sheet with foil, then with a piece of parchment. Lay your bacon out, close together because it will shrink. High temp oven , I turn mine once half way through. The best part is the clean up – awesome!

89. Rachael Dugas on September 6, 2013 at 10:04 am

I vote for CCC! It’s too cute. I frequently refer to my boyfriend my “#1 taste tester”, though, so I might be biased towards endearing nicknames. However, I mostly commented to tell you to make some oven bacon, like, yesterday. I grew up eating microwaved bacon exclusively (I know…) so that might damage my credibility a bit, but not only is it so much cleaner and easier than stovetop bacon, it tastes so, so good. You can even line the tray with foil for extra easy clean-up. Like any bacon method, though, you do have to keep an eye on it or you can go a little too far. Plus, Ina Garten does it that way, so it must be good! Also, thank you for sharing pictures of Duke and Einstein–I’m a little obsessed with dogs and they are such handsome boys!

90. Kris on September 6, 2013 at 10:09 am

Bacon in the oven is the only way to go. The key is putting it in a cold oven. I pretty much do it the same way as Emily, us ‘burgers must stick together.

Frye boots are amazing. I have 2 pairs. Paige Tall Riding in grey and Lindsey Plate in Burnt Red. Love them both. The Paige I got at Macy’s during one of their F&F sales.

As for purses, love Marc by Marc Jacobs, Kate Spade, and Banana Republic.

Love the doggie love!

91. AngelaB on September 6, 2013 at 10:09 am

I purchased a pair of Frye Jane boots a few years back in an antique brown and I love them! They take awhile to break in, so be prepared for that, but long lasting they are! I lotion mine about once a year and then polish them too (all with Frye products!). Good luck in your quest. They can be hefty on the pocketbook, but are SO worth it. I haven’t had to purchase another pair of boots in years.
    And that Duke is adorable! I’m glad to hear he and Einstein are getting along nicely. That’s great!
    Enjoy the weekend!

92. Kathy on September 6, 2013 at 10:13 am

I like cooking bacon in the oven. I do the whole package and freeze what I do not need to use right away. I just take out what I need and microwave for about a minute. Helps since I am cooking just for myself and only smell up the house once.

93. Jodi Pavlik on September 6, 2013 at 10:13 am

I think bacon in the oven is the way to go! I usually use a Pampered Chef stone to cook it. I think we have grown to like chief culinary consultant! I hope you have a speedy recovery if you have to have surgery!!

94. Recently Retired on September 6, 2013 at 10:20 am

I like Chief Culinary Consultant, or CCC. Gives him bit of prestige!
    I cook my bacon in the oven all the time. I do several pounds at a time in batches. I line 2 of my large cookie sheets with parchment paper and bake both sheets at once on the 2 racks in my oven. I turn on the timer for 25 minutes and then switch the trays on the racks for another 20-25 mins. I reuse the greasy parchment lined sheets, which allows each additional batch to cook in the previous batches grease which speeds up the process for each batch, so you’ll have to check on them more often. Once cooked and cooled, I reline my cleaned cookie sheets with clean parchment and lay the cooked bacon on them in layers (parchment between layers) and stick it in the freezer. Once frozen, I bag the bacon in Ziploc bags and can easily grab as many pieces as I need, ie: 3 for a toasted bacon and tomato sandwich. Just pop it in the microwave for a few seconds on a paper towel lined plate and voila! This works great for camping too! No fuss, no muss!

95. mommabean on September 6, 2013 at 10:24 am

1. Oh those pups are adorable!
    2. My vote is to continue the CCC title!
    3. Bacon in the oven is the only way to go for me, but I love the idea of twisting them first. Thanks to whoever posted that tip!
    4. I’m in a Coach purse rut and am liking all the suggestions.

96. Tina on September 6, 2013 at 10:24 am

Definitely Chief Culinary Consultant. Just like I call my husband, who takes care of so much of our cooking, cleaning and other chores, my Domestic Engineer! ;)

97. Sharon Carlson on September 6, 2013 at 10:25 am

Your puppy is so….cute! I make bacon in the oven all the time! Parchment paper lined baking pan and its easy cleanup whether you save the grease or toss it! Cooks evenly, no turning and a lot quicker than in a skillet. I am impatient when I smell bacon cooking so quick is awesome!

98. Erin on September 6, 2013 at 10:26 am

I love oven bacon! If you love bacon at buffets or brunches, you will love oven bacon as many restaurants lay bacon out on sheet pans and bake it. And when it’s done you can lay it out on paper towels and then easily drain the grease from the pan. PS – Your dogs are gorgeous!

99. Sara on September 6, 2013 at 10:39 am

I vote to call him your hubs! Duke is such a cutie – love those golden retrievers! I cook bacon in the oven more often than not – I place the bacon on a cooling rack that’s placed on top of a cookie sheet at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Comes out nice and crispy!

100. shoegal on September 6, 2013 at 10:42 am

I vote for husband. He has earned that title, it’s shorter and less confusing. When I first started reading your blog I though the CCC was your assistant, than I thought there was a little but “more” than that, then I thought you were having a fling with your kitchen assistant and were a lesbian (not that there;s anything worng with that). Just feel husband would be less confusing to newbies to your blog…..

• Kate on September 6th, 2013 at 6:53 pm

“I thought you were having a fling with your kitchen assistant and were a lesbian”

WTF.