Friday Things

Duke - 9 weeks old!

1. Duke will be 10 weeks old tomorrow, and my what a difference a week makes! His face has matured, his legs have grown like weeds and his ears have even gotten longer… all in one week! He’s become much more playful and energetic, which means that our house has turned into a full-time circus when you throw Einstein into the mix.

2. I mentioned last week that I was going to see a hand specialist about my finger issues since I sliced it back in June. Well, the doctor believes there is some scar tissue issues and/or tendon damage and recommended surgery, which would consist of a recovery time of anywhere from one week with stitches to eight weeks in a full forearm splint. Can you say, “ugghhhh”?! I’m going to get a second opinion before I get sliced open, but, ughhh not good news.

3. As you know, I’ve been referring to my now-husband as my Chief Culinary Consultant since we began dating nearly five years ago. Since we’re married now, I thought I would take a little informal reader poll… Would you like me to continue referring to him as my Chief Culinary Consultant, or “my husband”? Feel free to cast a vote in the comments below :)

4. I have become completely enamored with Bobbi Brown makeup. I started buying it here and there a few years ago, and now 99% of my makeup bag consists of Bobbi Brown. Are any of you long-time users? Do you have any favorite product recommendations or suggestions for “looks” to put together?

5. A BEB reader, Lola, created a gluten-free version of the Snickers Cake that I created in April for my dad’s birthday. If you are on the hunt for gluten-free recipes, be sure to check out her modification!

6. The Essie Fall 2013 nail colors are out!

Essie Fall 2013

I picked up three of them last weekend – Twin Sweater Set (#1), The Lace Is On (#2) and After School Boy Blazer (#4). The “boy blazer” color is a rich blue-black color, which is pretty different from what I usually wear, but I decided to step outside my box. Any tips for wearing this color? Is it best with certain clothes of a certain shade?

7. I’ve just recently started reading about cooking bacon in the oven instead of in a skillet. I love skillet bacon, but it makes a huge mess and it takes quite awhile. When I’m lazy, I use the microwave, but that can get equally as greasy. Have any of you made bacon in the oven? Thumbs up? I think I’m going to give it a try this weekend. I’ll be sure to report back :)

8. I am more than ready to do some fall shoe shopping. I’m in desperate need of some nice brown boots, and I have my eye on this pair of Frye boots. I have a hard time getting over the price hurdle, though. If you have Frye boots, are they really long-lasting? If I’m going to spend that much, I want to be able to wear them for more than a couple of seasons!

9. Also on my fall shopping list is a new purse. I’m a big Coach fan, but I’m thinking of checking out some other brands this fall. Who are your favorite purse makers?

10. TGIF! All you need is love… ♥

Duke & Einstein sleeping

237 Responses to “Friday Things”

Comment Pages 1 2 3
  1. Texas on September 7, 2013 at 11:51 am

Call him husband, he has earned it. Tumi makes great (long-lasting) purses. Have had one for three years. Expensive, but well worth it.

2. Betti@Stuttgart on September 7, 2013 at 11:52 am

Hi Michelle,
    How fun that you and your husband want to hear our opinions! Thanks for asking :-). My vote goes to HUSBAND! He got promoted in your life to the status of “husband” so he should here too – but then again, I’m traditional, and definitely think marriage does make a difference. (Husband just means SO much more than CCC.)

Or go to SCC: Spousal Culinary Consultant because “spouse” is also more than just a “chief.”

I really enjoy your blog and appreciate that you include a fun mix of cooking, baking, how-to tips, and the personal fun stuff. Many years of continued success in all of it!

3. Mary on September 7, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I’ve recently been using the Bobbi Brown skin care. They have great facial moisturizers and eye creams. A little pricey, but on my 4th month of each jar of the night cream and day moisturizer. So I’d say its worth it.

4. Trudy on September 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I have purchased handbags from this site for years and they wear like iron. I have given them as gift to my daughters and now my granddaughters too. Not cheap but last forever.

5. Steph in Lex on September 7, 2013 at 1:41 pm

I’ve broiled bacon. I tell myself it’s healthier. ;)
    I guess I’m in the minority from my perusal, but I like Chief Culinary Consultant myself. Of course, the novelty of calling your significant other “my husband” when you’re a newlywed definitely can’t be understated!

• Steph in Lex on September 7th, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Excuse me–overstated. Ha.

6. Marcia on September 7, 2013 at 3:40 pm

We know him as CCC, so that has my vote! More pics of Einstein and Duke please!

7. Kimberly on September 7, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I vote for Culinary Consultant!
    Love the picture of Einstein and Duke sleeping together ! Best buds!

8. Maddie on September 7, 2013 at 8:23 pm

I vote for CCC… Duke is the cutest thing in the world! Real sorry about your finger,hope it gets better!

9. Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe on September 7, 2013 at 8:24 pm

Your pups are so cute! It’s amazing how quickly they grow up, isn’t it?!
    I am considering purchasing a pair of Frye boots this fall too – I actually tried them on (the Melissa Button style) and LOVED them, but decided to think about it due to the very steep price tag. But they’re soooooo nice!
    Love those nail polish colors too.

10. Colleen on September 7, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Oh my gosh could Duke be any darn cuter??

11. Patti on September 8, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Bacon in the oven – easiest thing and clean up!
    1) Line an edged cookie sheet with heavy duty foil (because it’s bigger than the every day variety, not because it takes a beating, and I want to use my largest pan to make as much bacon as possible),
    2) Put as much bacon on there in a single layer as you can (if you’re going to make bacon this easily, you may as well make some extra – that way you can freeze any leftovers for a quick recharge in the microwave when needed) You can fit the slices in pretty close since it will shrink up
    3) Bake at 350-375ish for 20 minutes or desired doneness – turn a time or two during the process.
    4) I set the cooked slices on a paper towel for a minute or two, and wha-laa! A ton of crispy bacon without having to babysit it and here’s the best part…
    5) Just let the now empty sheet pan sit for a few minutes to cool, fold up the foil and throw it away – you don’t even have to wash the pan!!!

12. Donna on September 8, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I just gave away a pair of Frye boots I have had since the early 90″s !! If you take care of them they last forever.
    I vote for CCC.
    Congrats on marriage. Good luck with your hand.

13. Lisa D. on September 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Chlef Culinary Consultant has a great ring to it! Keep it.
    Those dogs are adorable, too!!

14. tea-time365.blogspot.com on September 8, 2013 at 4:28 pm

What a lovely puppy!

15. Samantha on September 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Depending on how much you want to spend, I would recommend Marc by Marc Jacobs. They’re gorgeous leather bags with sturdy hardware. I love that they offer trendier designs and colors, along with more classic bag shapes and colors. They’re a bit pricey, but it’s worth it for the beautiful leather.

16. Grae on September 8, 2013 at 5:32 pm

I vote for husband. I think it reflects his new status in your life…and it’s more romantic (to me) than CCC.
    Personally, I cook bacon on my George Foreman grill. I can get it as crispy as I want and it gets rid of all the liquid and fat. I have a George for two, so I do cut my slices of bacon in half – but I’m okay with that.
    Einstein (and now Duke) are my favorite thing to look forward to in Friday’s email. So adorable!
    Do get a 2nd (and 3rd) opinion on your hand. Know the risks and consequences of getting the surgery vs. not and determine what is best for you.
    Best wishes!

17. Janerie on September 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Duke is darling! About the bacon — do it in the oven. I discovered this method last winter and it is a time and mess saver. The bacon is perfect every single time! Line your pan with tin foil and there is no mess to clean up, on the pan or in the oven.

18. Liz on September 8, 2013 at 8:14 pm

CCC and husband are both great…so you should call him what you like (and i think he should have a say too, afterall he’s your consultant ;) ). You could change it up depending on what you’re talking about; baking, sports, etc.

19. Laura Dembowski on September 8, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I think you should keep calling your husband your CCC – it’s fun and unique. I don’t use a lot of Bobbi Brown makeup but I love the Shimmer Bricks. They are the best! Have fun with your nail polish. I wear all different colors all the time, and now I wear two colors at the same time. I base it on my mood. Oh and purses. I really like Gucci. The price point isn’t too much higher than Coach for basic models. I really try to steer clear of made in China products like most of Coach. And good luck with your finger :)

20. Jodi on September 8, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I vote for CCC. Just LOVE the pics of Duke and the one of him with Einstein is priceless!!

21. Cupcake on September 8, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I vote for husband as it is less confusing. I, too, thought that possibly your Culinary Consultant was a female and you two were a couple. I frequently make bacon in the oven and this method is much simpler and the clean-up much easier.

22. Jess on September 8, 2013 at 10:55 pm

1. LOVE bacon in the oven. Sometimes I’ll add brown sugar and black pepper on it before I bake. Delicious.
    2. Fossil, Michael Kors, and Cole Haan are fabulous purses.
    3. Frye is a really great brand and they really do last a long time.
    4. A lot have people have mentioned physical therapy, but I’d highly recommend that you make sure that pt or occupational therapist is a certified hand therapist. CHT’s have an extra 5 years in training related to hands and upper limbs; they really are experts.
    5. Essie is my all time favorite nail polish. I also recently tried CND Vinylux and that stuff REALLY lasts a long time. Make sure to use the specific top coat with the lacquer.

23. Dixie on September 9, 2013 at 7:38 am

I think Chief Culinary Consultant is very unique and you should keep it :)

24. Katie on September 9, 2013 at 1:58 pm

I always, always, always bake my bacon. 385 for about 14 minutes in my oven produces perfect slightly chewy, somewhat crisp bacon. I just use a foil lined pan for easy clean up.

25. Ashley on September 9, 2013 at 4:10 pm

I’d never heard of making bacon in the oven before my boyfriend made it for me, it’s the only way he makes it and it works fantastically!

26. Nancy Long on September 10, 2013 at 5:40 pm

I’ve been doing bacon in the oven for well over 20 years now and the only way I do it anymore. Makes beautifully crisp bacon and I usually strain the renderings and keep a jar in the frig. Bake at 375-400 for 18 to 20 minutes. Have gotten so that I lay the sheet pan w/foil for easier cleanup. Enjoy!

27. Laura on September 11, 2013 at 12:36 am

Love your dogs! I have been a daily reader for a long time, i always start my day with your blog. Unfortunately, moved to another property, same company and that’s been a month ago that I am not complete without your blog. Love the weekend posts that recommends other website. CCC is my vote, sounds cute. Congrats on your marriage btw, see you were still single last time I read. I remember that cut finger, hope it gets better soon. I just got a Michael Kors bag+wallet combo for my birthday in 2 weeks! I love my husband!!!

p.s. I made a no bake cheesecake and told him I have cheesecake for dessert. When he tasted it, he asked what it was coz it’s not cheesecake that I usually make. I am proud of him , he knows the difference :-)

28. RisaG on September 11, 2013 at 8:16 am

U should continue to call hubby the Culinary Consultant.

I have been roasting bacon for years, ever since I saw Ina Garten on Barefoot Contessa. So easy, little clean-up. Perfect bacon every time. I cook a pound st a time and freeze it cooked. Defrosts quickly. Re-crisps quickly.

29. Nicole on September 11, 2013 at 5:10 pm

Bacon in the oven. Best thing ever. We don’t cook it any other way now. DO IT! You won’t regret it. And, I’d say husband. It’s so much more fun that way too. :)

Comment Pages 1 2 3