Friday Things

Duke snoozing on the fireplace

1. Mr. Duke hit a major milestone since last Friday – he slept through the night for the first time! And he has slept through the night every night since. It’s like magic! It was the first time in nearly two months that one of us weren’t getting out of bed in the middle of the night to take him out. Now that it’s getting super cold at night, I’m even more appreciative of his newfound love of sleep.

In the past week, Duke has discovered the skylights in our family room. He’s obsessed with them at night, when he sees the reflections of us sitting on the couch, the glow of our phones, and my laptop. He growls and barks at the skylight incessantly; it was cute at first, but now we’re ready for him to get over it ;-)

2. Speaking of our pups, we are seriously considering getting a Roomba. Two Golden Retrievers are creating an insane amount of fur and yard debris on our floors on a daily basis. I’m just wondering how often we’d need to empty it and if would actually be worth it. Does anyone with high-shedding dogs have one?

3. Christmas is exactly two months away! I love this!

4. If you’re into homemade food gifts for the holidays, you have to check out these free printable chalkboard-style labels from Lia Griffith… How awesome are these?!

Free Printable Gift Labels

5. I’ve seen a lot of folks make really cute labels for homemade gifts with the Silhouette Cameo. Here’s the thing… I’m not at all crafty. As in, not at ALL. However, with the holidays coming up, I’m wondering if it would be a fun little toy for gifts. Would something like this be worth it for someone that doesn’t do any crafting?

6.The increasingly cold mornings and evenings have me craving a warm, plush robe. Do you have any recommendations? I don’t think I’ve ever bought a robe for myself!

7. Since we’re on the subject of robes, I’m also on the lookout for new slippers. Can you tell I’m more than ready for the cozy days of winter?! Right now I have these bookmarked: Sorel Tremblant BlanketSorel NakiskaUGG Ansley, and UGG Rylan. Any thoughts/recommendations?

8. Confession: my Chief Culinary Consultant and I watch Eastbound and Down on HBO. The show is totally ridiculous and I feel like I might lose some brain cells every time I watch it, but I can’t help but find it hysterical. Please tell me I’m not the only one!

9. You have until midnight tonight to enter to win a $300 Zappos.com gift card – don’t forget to enter!

10. TGIF! Best buddies and twins!

Twins!

98 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Liz on October 25, 2013 at 12:22 am

I love my slippers from LL Bean! Warm & durable :)

• adriane on October 25th, 2013 at 3:46 pm

second this! ive had multiple pairs and they are some of the warmest and comfiest ones out there.

• Maria on October 25th, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I third this! I’ve had my LLBean slippers for years and adore them…warm and comfy.

• Lucy on October 28th, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I agree, an old boyfriend bought me these for Christmas one year and they are still holding up after 10+ years. The are so warm and comfortable!

• Kate on October 26th, 2013 at 10:04 am

YES. I’ve had my Bean slippers for a few years and they’re super warm and comfy. The ones I have didn’t come in half sizes, so they were a bit snug, but they’ve stretched. And Bean customer service is phenomenal…my MIL had the same pair, but the dog ate them…..and she was able to return them for a new pair!

• Caitlin on October 28th, 2013 at 8:56 pm

Agreed! I’ve had mine for 4 years and they’re still so comfy and warm. The best ever!

2. Mary on October 25, 2013 at 1:36 am

We have one very large golden and have had a Neato (like a roomba) for six moths. It’s amazing with the dog hair. Also, if Soma has their cozy robe, I highly recommend it! Cozy, warm, and oh so soft. Happy shopping :)

3. Pieliekamais on October 25, 2013 at 1:59 am

Those two are so cute!

4. Marie on October 25, 2013 at 2:23 am

I have a confession to make, every single Friday I open your website purely for the latest Duke and Einstein photos! ;) So cute!

• Brandy Yekel on October 25th, 2013 at 9:13 am

Me too! I love dogs!

• Maxine on October 26th, 2013 at 4:08 pm

LOL, me too!! I can’t get enough of their adorable photos. These photos are so heartwarming and their expressions are so sincere and sweet. I wish I had a golden retriever…so cute.

• AudraG on October 29th, 2013 at 9:54 am

Me too! Until DH is ready to get our own dog I ooh and ahh over yours!

5. Kristi on October 25, 2013 at 2:28 am

I’m not crafty at all, but would love to do cute looking labels. If you find something that even non- crafty people can do, I would love to hear about it.

6. Erin on October 25, 2013 at 2:37 am

A client of mine with a shedding dog has a cleaning robot similar to a roomba. It drives the dog nuts and doesn’t seem to do a very good job tackling the hair but it might just be an older model. It’s pretty funny to watch it bump into things but overall doesn’t seem worth it.

7. Dana on October 25, 2013 at 4:11 am

I am in LOVE with my Silhouette Cameo. I don’t scrapbook but I use the Cameo to make cards and other things, like pantry labels. With a free program called Inkscape I can take those beautiful labels you mentioned in item #4 and turn PDF files into SVG files. Then I can use the Cameo’s print and cut feature to print and cut the labels. I’ve found so many non craft uses for my Cameo.

8. Linda on October 25, 2013 at 4:19 am

With a dalmatian shredding 365 days a year the Roomba is now a well loved member in our family called Collin :) No problem with dog toys eighter since the spotted one picks them up as soon as the Roomba starts.

9. Jill on October 25, 2013 at 4:27 am

The Roomba is a WONDERFUL thing for dog owners as long as your house doesn’t have a lot of throw rugs. It tends to get caught up on the edges of them and gets stuck so you spend a lot of time listening to beeping, looking for it, and moving it. The nice thing is that you can just park it under the couch or somewhere hidden and schedule it to run at regular intervals, so you don’t have to think about it until you need to empty it (every few days for us with two Samoyeds).

East Bound and Down – hysterical. And, yeah, I’m embarrassed to admit that I watch it too.

10. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet on October 25, 2013 at 6:13 am

Those dogs are just adorable! I am not what you say a “crafty” person but I would love a silhouette. My friend has one and I go play on it and have made some cute things for around the house. I know if I had one i would use it so I think it would be worth it!

11. Nomi on October 25, 2013 at 6:24 am

I LOVE my LL Bean slipper. I have these http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70222?feat=513292-GN2&page=daybreak-scuff, but they also have great shearling options too. And they havr a store in the Ross Park Mall, so you can see and try on all of the options.

12. Laura on October 25, 2013 at 6:48 am

you don’t have to be crafty to use a silouette, think you would get some good use out one. East down and bound, hilarious, I see it when my son watches and it is funny and ridiculous, but crazy too. love your dogs, we had two goldens at one time, they loved each other. enjoy the weekend.

13. Barbara on October 25, 2013 at 7:12 am

We have 4 dogs two short and two long hair and they shed a lot. I bought a roomba the one for pets about a year ago and I love it. The dogs don’t pay any attention to it except when it bumps around tables etc. but they are not afraid of it. I usually dump the hair after I finish one room but the battery usually runs low before I need to clean it out unless it is shedding season then I might have to dump it more often but I don’t run mine everyday just once or twice a week unless I start seeing a lot of hair. By all means get one, but make sure it is the one for pets and enjoy.

14. Kristie taylor on October 25, 2013 at 7:14 am

Love those labels thinking I can do those for Christmas and give my homemade brownies!!
    Also the UGG Ansley are too cute and comfy! I recomend those and you can wear them out if needed!
    Love these Friday things!

15. Vicki on October 25, 2013 at 7:50 am

Great minds think alike! I have had my eye on the UGG Rylan too…but now that you have shown me two other cute options I cast my vote for you and I to get all three…I mean after all you can never have enough shoes…right??? (That Zappos Gift Card sure would come in really handy about now!!!) LOL

16. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on October 25, 2013 at 7:56 am

I am not crafty at all!!! But I love the idea of the labels, that should make things easier! I can’t believe how big Duke is getting! Him and Einstein do look like twins!! To darn cute! I know I say that every week, but it’s true!! Oh one last thing, wait for Black Friday or a near that time frame. I picked up a pair of fun, cute Betsy Johnson slippers at Macy’s for $10.00 normally sell for $58.00 With dogs around you don’t want to spend a fortune on slippers! I go through a pair every winter!

17. Kim Q on October 25, 2013 at 8:26 am

I have to empty the roomba canister after every use. It is only a tiny little canister and the dog hair fills it up every time. I second the person that said if you have a lot of area rugs, don’t bother. While it can go over some area rugs without getting stuck, it tends to leave clumps of dog hair (for me at least) along the edges of the area rug we have. So then you have to go along and clean up the clumps. I have to remove altogether my kitchen mat, because the height of it makes it get stuck under the kitchen cabinet. And the run time to do the front of our house is about 45 minutes or so, while if I pull out the “real” vacuum I am done in about 10-15. So, eh, it is just okay and not really worth the price in my opinion.

18. marissa on October 25, 2013 at 8:32 am

My husband and I have two dogs and two cats that shed like crazy on our hard floors. We got a Neato and absolutely LOVE it. Admittedly, we were not so good at vacuuming regularly, but this guy does the trick–and does it well. I did a lot of research before I went with the Neato over the Roomba, and in general, pet owners seem to be happier with the Neato. I empty it every other day (it tells me when to empty!) and run it every day once a day. Totally worth the price tag. It does really well moving from the rugs that we have to the hard floors. We actually are thinking we may get one for our upstairs as well!
    (http://www.amazon.com/Neato-XV-21-Allergy-AutomaticCleaner/dp/B007JOJ9QQ/ref=sr_1_2ie=UTF8&qid=1382704101&sr=8-2&keywords=neato)

19. Denise Coste on October 25, 2013 at 8:49 am

Love my Roomba. We Have a short haired shedder and it does the job. I also empty after each use.

20. Alisha on October 25, 2013 at 8:53 am

Eastbound and Down is hilarious! My husband has been watching it from the beginning, and now I’m hooked too. It really must be the weirdest show on TV, but somehow it works!

21. Stacey on October 25, 2013 at 9:07 am

Your pups are adorable! Dogs make for the best family, no? I have a few different Ugg slippers. For a snug, super warm, super comfy fit you can’t go wrong with the Ansley. They last a long time and are the best slippers I’ve owned. My husband has the guys version of them and he loves his too. I have an open-heel version of the Ryan and I love them but they are a little clunkier (is that a word?)

22. Diana on October 25, 2013 at 9:10 am

Can’t believe no one’s mentioned Acorn slippers. As soft as you want them to be with every iteration (sock, soft sole, hard sole, sport) they’re also way durable. I’ve had the same pair for three years now and they’re awesome.

23. Bonnie on October 25, 2013 at 9:13 am

I love my Halflinger wool clogs for slippers around the house. Good support if I’m standing in the kitchen for a long time, too!

24. Brandy Yekel on October 25, 2013 at 9:18 am

I have a Siberian Husky, a Basset Hound, and an English Bulldog. I don’t have a roomba, but I do have a Kirby! I just make it party of my daily routine. Not much more you can do.

25. Lorrie on October 25, 2013 at 9:20 am

I’ve heard the Roomba’s are worth every penny. I think how often you empty it will be a trial and error thing- maybe once a day? A friend said she intentionally arranged her house so it would work and not get stuck anywhere.
    I have a thick robe from Land’s End that is really cozy and warm that you might like.

26. Beth Grussing on October 25, 2013 at 9:23 am

I love the UGG Ansley in pink! I have had my eyes on those since last year, but I am having a tough time pulling the trigger on $100.00 slippers! BTW, your Goldens are gorgeous! They are making me want to get a dog…..my husband better not see this! :-)

27. mommabean on October 25, 2013 at 9:36 am

My favorite slippers are thee UGG cozy knit! I wear them year round in the house. http://www.zappos.com/ugg-cozy-knit-cream.

28. Jaime on October 25, 2013 at 9:42 am

Your dogs are so cute! I would love a second one but we just don’t have the room. I have these Columbia slippers & they are fantastic! I can wipe them off easily and I wear them to take the dog out. http://www.6pm.com/columbia-packed-out-omni-heat-black

29. Susan P on October 25, 2013 at 10:48 am

I became the proud owner of my Roomba after my sister gave up on it. The dog hairs created havoc with her unit. The dog hair got tangled in the brushes and the wheels. I do not have pets and it does a fabulous job for me. My sister would say, save your money and maybe use a shop vac!

30. Rachel on October 25, 2013 at 10:58 am

A roomba is definitely worth every penny! I have a relatively small house and a short haired dog so I run my roomba every 3 or 4 days and empty it about once a week. I feel like with more shedding you might have to empty it once a day and run it every day but it’s still worth it cause all you have to do is push a button and it does the work for you!

My dog is also obsessed with lights and reflections from windows and her dog tags etc. Unfortunately it hasn’t gone away after a year and a half…

31. Rachel on October 25, 2013 at 11:01 am
  32. Linda on October 25, 2013 at 11:22 am

Re UGG slippers: I have the Mandie, which has leather ties that keep coming untied. Other than that I love them. I’d suggest the Ansley from your list.

33. Rosebud on October 25, 2013 at 11:32 am

I swear, your photos of those two characters are absolutely adorable. And you just might want to make one of them into a Christmas card for friends and relatives. You could even do a collage of them or make a calendar. They are simply gorgeous and I know from having one live next door to us, they are the perfect dog for adults and children. We have had Old English Sheepdogs and still have two, one female and one male. The male was a rescue, never trained, so he has been our challenge for a good while. He was never trained to “leave it” when it came to his food so he is very possessive of it and when you give him a treat you have to count your fingers. But he is gradually responding to our commands. He does a beautiful “sit” just anytime but we have to be careful with his food. Still we love him and treat him just like our others. I’m so glad we were able to give him a good home.

34. Jaime on October 25, 2013 at 12:01 pm

I named our 2012 Dodge Challenger (white with red pinstriping) La Flama Blanca….Kenny Powers is the sh$t!! I highly recommend reading the letter Kenny Powers “wrote” to Tim Tebow a couple years back…hilarious! (you can google it) As the proud owner/lover of a Roomba for 3 years, here is my advice/experience:
    Roomba works best on wood/tile floors, not so much on carpet and works best with an open floor plan. We have a couple throw rugs and kitchen mats and have no problems with it getting stuck but none have tassles/fringe; that would be a problem. I schedule mine to run everyday while I am at work, I have a 16 lb pug that sheds like none other (seriously, the amount of fur that comes off this dog is UNREAL) and I have to empty the canister everyday. It takes approximately 10 seconds so I always do it as I head to bed. Apparently there is the option to buy a larger canister after-market, this will be on my Christmas list…You will still need to use your regular vacuum, this is ok. Roomba might miss some spots and like others have said, it doesn’t always get the area right next to an area rug, especially if it is very thick, but if your floors look like mine (HAIRY!!!) and you were having to sweep or vacuum EVERY.SINGLE. DAY, the Roomba is a godsend. Now I only need to bust out the Dyson once a week for a thorough cleaning. As for the amount of time it takes Roomba to clean one room vs just running the vacuum, my opinion is who cares how long it takes, YOU DONT HAVE TO LIFT A FINGER! This might be annoying to folks who work at/stay at home during the day and have to listen to it run, but if you are gone most of the day, and you come home to a clean floor that you didn’t have to clean….who cares?!?! I should also mention, my dog has had 2 mistakes in the house in the last 3 years and Roomba smeared poop all over the place both times. I had to completely dismantle Roomba to clean it out and I still stand by it! Haha!!!

35. Sheli on October 25, 2013 at 12:15 pm

For a great robe at a great price check out – gulp, I know – Costco! Last year I got an uber soft (microfiber?) robe for under $20. OMG, even though it’s big and bulky, it weighs almost nothing and is like wearing a cloud. It’s amazingly soft and ridiculously warm, and comes in a good selection of colors. It was a big seller last year, so I’m pretty sure they’ll carry it again this year.

36. Kelly on October 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm

My kids love goldens. They had one that got out during a storm and unfortunately we never saw him again. I love those labels,thanks for sharing.Glad you are able to get a full nights sleep now. Having a puppy is like having a new baby. Lol

37. Sandi on October 25, 2013 at 12:31 pm

I love my REI down booties (http://www.rei.com/product/804541/rei-down-booties-womens), they’re insulated, water resistant, and fleece lined with a semi-stiff, non-skid sole. We lovingly refer to them as sleeping bags for your feet.

38. Ellen on October 25, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Love, love, love these slippers! Think I’m on my third pair. They are toasty warm and when my feet are warm, the rest of me seems to stay warmer too.

Also, love, love, love the pics of your dogs. Duke looks huge…until you see him snoozing next to Einstein! They make my Fridays.

39. Lynne on October 25, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I bought my plush terri robe at BB&B, and I really like it because it’s like putting a towel on after the shower. But, it’s heavy. In the summer, I switch to a shorter, waffle weave robe. If I were going to do it again, I’d buy a hotel robe:
    So worth it.

40. Nicole @ FruitnFitness on October 25, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Oh my, the picture of the two of them together at the door is adorable. Nothing better than puppy love! I might be strange but I can’t get into the robe thing. My mom bought me a nice one when I went to college but I feel so much more comfortable, and warm, in oversized sweat pants and sweatshirts.

41. Kerrin on October 25, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I love my LL Bean Wicked Good slippers. So warm and soft and cozy. I bought my 1st pair in 1998 and my second in 2006 (!) I’m hoping the hubs gets me a new pair this Christmas :)

42. Danielle B on October 25, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I have ugg slippers similar to the rylan, maybe the same just a couple years old, but I love them. So warm and cozy they have definitely held up, I wore then to class in college all the time. My sister has one of those vacuums and is obsessed with it. She has a great dane and a 2 year old and she loves coming home to a freshly vacummed house. Give it a few times to get everything up but then when it runs every day it’s a more reasonable pick up gets everything

43. Tanja on October 25, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I think that you should check out Padraig slippers – they are incredibly warm and comfortable!

44. Jennifer on October 25, 2013 at 3:20 pm

We have the Neato, similar to Roomba, and I would highly recommend it. It actually got a lot better reviews than the Roomba (my hubby and I are research junkies when it comes to buying stuff). Although we don’t have heavy shedding dogs (we have two mini doxies but the white one does shed a little more than an average weiner dog) we recently put in dark wood floors that show EVERYTHING and this little robot has been my sanity when it comes to keeping the floors clean. I can probably run it about 2-3 times before having to empty it and each times its vaccuming 4-5 rooms.

45. Jane Downes on October 25, 2013 at 3:21 pm

L.L.Bean has great robes in Polartec-type material. Mine is floor length and rosy red and so cozy warm. I love it.

46. Dana on October 25, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Einstein and Duke are both so gorgeous! Congrats on Duke sleeping through the night…perhaps the cooler weather makes him less likely to get out of his cozy bed, too!
    I bought a Silhouette Cameo last fall, but never broke it out of the box until this month. I was afraid it would suck me in and be a time vacuum and I had SO MANY unfinished projects I didn’t want to leave on the sidelines. I’ve done one project with it so far, and made a few cards (I haven’t made cards in AGES). Everything was really simple and didn’t require very much skill at all. I think if you have the ability to handle the printable labels, you’re ahead of the game. I’ve been a member of a Silhouette group on Facebook for a year, and it’s very helpful for advice and for seeing exactly what the Cameo can do. I would totally get one if I were you!

47. Lori on October 25, 2013 at 3:26 pm

I have the sheepskin slippers from LL bean. Beat slippers ever!

48. brittany on October 25, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I’m on my 2nd pair of these LL Bean slippers, love them! I had the first pair for 6 years. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/52326?feat=503422-GN2&page=women-s-hearthside-slippers

49. Emily on October 25, 2013 at 3:48 pm

LL Bean’s Wicked Good Slippers are as good as the name suggests. I’ve had my current pair for 5 years, I wear them every day except during the hottest part of the summer, and they look essentially new. Best slippers money can buy!

50. natalie @ wee eats on October 25, 2013 at 4:14 pm

i bought the ugg slippers for my mom and they were so soft i wanted to keep them for myself – luckily her feet are WAY SMALLER than mine so that I couldn’t keep them – pro tip – if you have tiny feet you can save a ton of money by purchasing the ‘kids size’ (she is a size 6 in womens)

51. Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate on October 25, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Duke is getting so big! I always look forward to your Friday posts so I can see pictures of your dogs!

52. Kimberly Swartz on October 25, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I have and love the UGG Coquettes. Great support! Unfortunately, my goldens love them too. They leave every other pair of shoes/slippers alone, but the fur is the attractant to the UGGs. I have to keep them on a shelf now when I don’t wear them…otherwise, you may find some tufts of fur pulled out in various places. So, I’d recommend the UGGS, but I’d keep them away from the goldens. :)

53. Michelle on October 25, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I have a pure bred yellow female lab and we feed her blue diamond/blue buffalo dog food, which cuts down the amount of shedding to the point that we only have to vacuum once every three days or so. Its one of the best dog foods out there! I highly recommend it to anyone. We have a dyson vacuum that we love and gets up all the pet hair plus what our 4 children make a mess of. We also comb her nightly when she is shedding her coats to help get rid of the extra hair faster, but she isn’t in her shedding season right now. I hope this helps!

54. Elena on October 25, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I know that Bearpaw makes slippers. They’re a lot like Uggs, and super cute! I have a pair of Bearpaw boots, and I love them, they are supposed to be pretty durable, and I would think you’d want that with a puppy in the house! I hope you find this useful.

55. Tory on October 25, 2013 at 5:23 pm

I have the UGG Ansleys in mahogany and love them. I mainly wear them around the house but have worn them to the store on occasion and don’t look ridiculous in them. Soooo warm.

56. Sarah on October 25, 2013 at 6:28 pm

You don’t have to be crafty to have a silhouette! I saw today that consumercrafts.com has 20% off scrapbooking supplies (including the silhouette) this weekend. With free shipping too I think I might get one too!

57. Gayle on October 25, 2013 at 6:39 pm

We have a NEATO XV-21 and LOVE it. It comes with a long magnetic strip you can use to cordon off any area you may not want it to vacuum. You can also get software updates for the NEATO when improvements come out (under the support tab on NeatoRobotics website). Great little machine!!

58. Karen on October 25, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Your sweet dogs are so cute! My daughter has a golden with long white hair (beautiful dog) and an open floor plan. They bought a Roomba and ended up returning it. It just didn’t do the job with a major shedder. When she comes to visit, there is so much dog hair (we have a chocolate lab) but she leaves clumps everywhere! I think they ended up with a regular vacuum that works well on hardwoods. I think it’s a Dyson, but I’m not sure.

59. Suzanne S on October 25, 2013 at 8:06 pm

I love your Goldens – they are so cute!

60. Annamaria @ Bakewell Junction on October 25, 2013 at 8:09 pm

Michelle,
    I don’t think I could use a Roomba, my dog is so skittish she would be terrified. I don’t think the Roomba would have enough capacity for all the hair. My old dog was a german shepherd and he shed clumps of hair constantly. You could vacuum and wash the floors upstairs and downstairs and an hour later you would have doggie tumbleweeds rolling down the hall.
    Annamaria

61. Rachel on October 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm

These are my favorite slippers & will keep your feet so toasty warm all winter…
    I’ve had 3 pairs over the past 10 years, the probably shouldn’t be worn outside ever, but they were too comfy to take off :)

62. Courtney on October 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Roomba, love it!! Have a cat and blk lab with the entire house minus two bedrooms hardwood/tile floors and the Roomba rocks! Slightly horrifying how much hair/dirt it picks up daily :)!! Just make sure the schedule doesn’t have it start at 2am or your sleeping through the night will be a bust! It does really well on hard floors and ok on carpet and rugs. And use the 20% Bed, Bath and Beyond coupon for one item to save some $$$.

63. Courtney on October 25, 2013 at 8:16 pm

OH and the shoe thing, any pair of Danskos! Most comfortable shoes in the world!

64. Kristin on October 25, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I live in boiled wool Haflinger slippers. I have laminate floor on much of my first floor and it is too hard on my feet without slippers. They have built in arch support as well. I go through about a pair a year since they are literally on my feet day and night when home. They aren’t fuzzy like the ones you mention, but they keep my feet warm and they don’t sweat in them either.

65. Kira (The HealthAble Old Soul) on October 25, 2013 at 8:24 pm

What a beautiful sweet dog!!! I wish my dog would be like that!

66. Dena on October 25, 2013 at 8:59 pm

We have a GSD and a Neato – best investment ever! Actually maps out the room, remembers where it leaves off when it recharges. Love it!

67. Jasmine on October 25, 2013 at 9:39 pm

You have got to try the Restoration Hardware robes! It may be a slightly unexpected bathrobe source and they’re on the pricey side, but they are just the best! So plush and luxurious-feeling.

68. Katy on October 25, 2013 at 10:43 pm

I love your pups!! So precious together. I have a super fluffy, plush robe that I got at Target a couple of Black Fridays ago and I absolutely adore it. It is so warm and was less than $20 normal price. My slippers might be from there too. I’m a Target addict. haha

69. Katie on October 25, 2013 at 11:13 pm

love eastbound & down. You’re not the only one. :)

70. ClumberKim on October 26, 2013 at 12:08 am

I have 2 Clumbers and the Roomba has saved my sanity. That said, if I were to replace it tomorrow, the Neato would get serious consideration. And my fav plush robe is from PineConeHill, affiliated with Dash & Albert/Annue Selke. I have had it for years.

71. janmarietta on October 26, 2013 at 11:49 am

I had a regular roomba and I was constantly stopping it to get the dog hair out. I don’t think it was really worth it. The battery didn’t hold up either, so we ended up pitching it.
    My husband got us a “MInt Plus” a a couple of years ago. It uses Swiffer type sheets which makes it easier – just toss. You can also mop with it.

72. Betty Baez on October 26, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I like the ugg rylan! Btw you’re not along i’ve watched every episode of eastbown and down….i think its soo ridiculous but its funny and i cant seem to stop watching it kenny powers is hilarious!

73. Kim on October 26, 2013 at 4:00 pm

Love, love, love my ROOMBA. We have a terrier mix that looks like a dalmatian – the QUEEN of shedding. Start ROOMBA before jumping in shower/working out and she (“Cinderella” – figure if I lock her in a room and make her clean it fits) has the floor swept when I am done; Dogs do not bother with her, she does not go down stairs due to sensors, and I use the electronic walls to keep her in area I want cleaned; Use it for daily fur collection – amazing what she picks up! Since we bought ours we have encourage 6 other purchases! We have had to replace batterry once in 3 years. Definte bonus – makes me less crabby having to live with less dust bunnies. Go for it!

74. Melanie on October 27, 2013 at 8:57 am

Hi Michelle,
    I have a Silhouette and the machine is amazing. Paper crafting is my low calorie hobby, but I think the machine works well for anyone (and I’d recommend the Portrait rather than the Cameo if you aren’t scrapbooking). I do labels for gifts, envelopes and redid my bulk spices with the vinyl. Love it! And there are so many more projects I have in mind.
    The best part is that you don’t have to design things yourself, but there are lots of pre-made designs in their online store, so all you do is load your paper and go. So much fun!
    Hope this helps,
    Melanie

75. Adrienne in Atlanta on October 27, 2013 at 10:44 am

Love the pup updates!
    Those labels are stunning…thank you for sharing! You’ve just made my holidays easier. :)

76. Kate on October 27, 2013 at 1:25 pm

My mom got me the Daniel Green Women’s Geneva Scuff Slipper last Christmas and I wear them all the time! My two requirements for slippers is a hard sole to wear outside and a back (I hate backless clogs) and this slipper is so
    comfy. They run a touch small, though. I wear a 7.5 and the 8 fits perfectly.

As for robes, my hubby just bought me this jersey-lined beauty for my birthday. I’m still waiting for it to come in the mail (they’re custom-made and take 1-2 weeks), but I’m excited! I wanted a robe that I could wear year round that wouldn’t be sweltering in the summer. The seller will add pockets free of charge upon request.

77. Jennifer on October 27, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I love my Dyson cordless “Animal” for dog hair. I have it on the wall in the laundry room and it’s like the world’s best dustbuster — just grab it off the wall and zap blobs of dog hair as you see them tumbleweeding around. I confess I haven’t had a Roomba but my house has a lot of uneven floor surfaces in it so it’s not practical for me. Dyson also has a dog attachment which my lab LOVES…go straight to the source!

78. Tracey on October 27, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Hooray for Duke’s milestone – I can’t imagine how excited you’ll be not getting up in the middle of the night! Those food labels are so crazy cute – I hope I can remember to use them when Christmas actually rolls around :)

79. Karen on October 28, 2013 at 10:03 am

I was at Pottery Barn this weekend and they had beautiful, thick, white, soft robes on sale for $35

80. Amy on October 28, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I don’t have dogs, but with 2 cats and 3 small children we were having a horrible time keeping our hardwood floors clean. My husband did a lot of research and decided on the Neato XV. I was very against this at first because it honestly made me feel lazy, but agreed to it because of the money back guarantee. After a couple of days, I was completely sold. The sheer volume of fur and dirt that it picked up was astonishing. It “learns” the layout of the house very quickly and runs while we’re gone so the house is always freshly vacuumed when we get home. I would highly recommend the Neato to anyone with pets!

81. Jackie on October 28, 2013 at 4:58 pm

We have a golden and a mastiff in the house and found the roomba not effective enough, so i am very happy with my Dyson Animal (both of them, we have one for upstairs and downstairs). I did spring for a some sort of mopping robot from bed bath & beyond, which you can put a swiffer sweeper on and it pushes hair into a big pile on the hardwood. Sad to say the mop pads dont stay wet enough to mop the whole floor though.

82. Lucy on October 28, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I used to buy my robes from Victoria’s Secret but last year I was in Target and spotted a very thick soft red robe for $25. I wasn’t in the market for one but it was just such a great buy I couldn’t pass it up. I live in MD and wore it from September thru the end of May then switched to a lighter waffle weave for the summer. It’s still holding up and in great shape even after multiple washings and so warm. I have a pair of LL Bean slippers that look like Ugs, they are ultra comfy and warm! I don’t have a roomba yet, would love to buy one (it’s on the wish list), I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Freckles and he sheds a lot! Let me know what you find out, if you like it, ect. I too am looking so forward to Christmas and starting to plan already. I was in Micheal’s over the weekend and heard a woman say she couldn’t believe they had Christmas decorations out already. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t mind seeing them. I hate when I hear people say that. If you dont’ like it, don’t look. Who cares? Christmas is only four weeks after Thanksgiving this year so it will come fast. I love the cute pictures of Duke and Einstein, they are adorable! I printed out your recipe for the parmesan onion dip so that I would have it on hand next time I need something in a hurry. Thanks for all the great recipes you post. You’re a lifesaver! :)

83. MomStarr on October 29, 2013 at 12:17 am

Soft Surroundings catalog has a great robe!

84. Laura Dembowski on October 29, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I would not be without my Ugg Coquette slippers. I wear them all day everyday. The sturdy soles help protect my feet when I’m standing a lot. They are the best!

85. Gayle on October 30, 2013 at 11:09 am

Einstein & “little Einstein”! So cute….priceless!

86. jen on October 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Yup, LL Bean slippers! They’re the best, so warm and soft! I need another pair-our golden pretty much destroyed the right one. I’m not sure about the Roomba. We have a Dyson and we can fill it up just by sweeping one room. Then again, we don’t like to sweep so we don’t do it every day. And our dogs hate the sweeper. How are yours? I’d hate to buy one & find out they’re terrified. Or worse, want to attack it!

• Michelle on October 30th, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Hi Jen, Einstein is pretty indifferent to the vacuum. He just lays and sleeps while I run it, and if it gets within about a foot of him, he just gets up and moves to another spot. Duke, on the other hand, can’t seem to figure out what to think of it. He runs around it in circles when I vacuum ;-) I’m not sure if he’s scared, excited, or what. I’m sure he’ll get over it :)

87. Karla | A Season On The Mountain on October 30, 2013 at 1:31 pm

Like others, I love my LL Bean Wicked Good Slippers! I had the first pair for, I don’t know, 20 years maybe? I just got a new pair last year and I went with the scuffs. Love!

88. Mandy on March 2, 2014 at 7:19 pm

I know this is way late, but I have to tell you that Ugg has a robe out, which I absolutely fell in love with at Bloomingdales. I couldn’t quite justify the price since its only cold about 10 days a year here, but I bet I totally could if I lived by you! Seriously, check it out :)

• Michelle on March 2nd, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Oooooh, thank you for the tip! I am definitely going to check it out, I never did get a new robe this winter!