Friday Things

Duke - 4 months - vet

1. Last Friday, Duke had his last round of vaccines at the vet and weighed in at 35 pounds. The vet said he is growing fairly quickly, and predicts that he’s going to be on the larger side of the spectrum for a Golden Retriever. We weren’t surprised to hear that, since we noticed that his paws are actually larger than Einstein’s. Crazy!

2. The butter keeper that I bought last week from King Arthur Flour has seriously changed my life. Well, the bread-and-butter-eating part of my life, anyway! I absolutely loathe cold, hard butter from the refrigerator. Spreading it on bread is a nightmare and waiting for it to soften is tortuous. After researching butter keepers, which create a water seal that allows you to safely keep butter at room temperature, I finally bought one. SO. AWESOME. Soft, spreadable butter at my fingertips! Plus, it tastes a million times better than cold butter. I highly recommend getting one of these!

3. I tend to go in spurts when it comes to salad dressing; I was on a big ranch kick for the better part of a year. Sometime in the last few months, I’ve transitioned over to a Thousand Island run. I can’t get enough of the stuff when I make salads!

4. I picked up a few of the new Essie Winter 2013 colors…

Essie Winter 2013 Colors

Shearling Darling, Warm & Toasty Turtleneck, and Sable Collar (the 2nd, 3rd and 4th from the left)… I put Sable Collar on my toes and it has more grey tones than I anticipated, but it’s a perfect cold-weather color. I think I’m going to LOVE Shearling Darling. Have you bought any of the new colors yet?

5. If you are a big fan of prints and posters, check out this new Kickstarter campaign for a product called Stiicks – pieces of wooden frame embedded with magnets, so you simply place artwork or posters between two Stiicks and, voila! It stays in place. Really, very cool idea, and easy to swap out pieces.

6. Let’s do this…

Eat cake on Friday!

7. So, Homeland… I was already in withdrawal by Tuesday. Coincidentally, on Tuesday night I had a nightmare (I never have nightmares) related to the last episode. Perhaps I’m a little too wrapped up in the show ;-)

8. This week I started a new practice that I’ve read about a million times, but have never implemented… I tackled the most-dreaded task on my to-do list first thing in the morning. You know what? Not only was it easier to knock off first thing in the morning, but by the time I crossed it off my to-do list, I felt insanely accomplished. SUCH a great idea!

9. I made a stovetop s’more a couple of nights ago with a peanut butter cup instead of a Hershey bar. Seriously… best s’more ever. I will never go back.

10. TGIF! We’ve been having a lot of snuggle time at our house!

einstein-duke-cuddles

44 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks on November 8, 2013 at 12:13 am

I’ve been debating about a butter keeper for years! I once posted about it on my blog, asking people if it really works and everyone said yes who had one and loves theirs. Now knowing you love yours, I think I need it. I mean who DOES like cold butter? Ick! Butter should be soft, spreadable, creamy and not ‘rip’ your toast when you go to spread it, right!

Have a great weekend, Michelle!

2. Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen on November 8, 2013 at 12:54 am

That’s crazy talk! Duke’s paws are larger than Einstein’s? ;) He’s getting to be such a big boy. Love all the snuggling they do together. I love creamy salad dressings, too. Homemade Buttermilk Ranch, Green Goddess and Thousand Island all rock. Love Essie…no new colors, yet. On the to do list for the holidays. I’ve gotta check out that KAF butter keeper! Have a wonderful autumn weekend, Michelle!

3. Laura on November 8, 2013 at 1:57 am

Just make sure Duke never discovers the wonders of the butter keeper! I had a lab who could sniff out butter like no other – he was on the big side, too, and you just couldn’t keep him from eating any butter he could find. Not that it agreed with his system… It was terrible.

4. Pieliekamais on November 8, 2013 at 2:36 am

:) my flatcoat also loves the smell of butter (she’s not allowed any). Einstein and Duke are adorable.

5. Kim on November 8, 2013 at 4:09 am

Duke just finishes me everytime! He is the cutest, most adorable little poochie. Makes me want to run out and buy a puppy!

6. Domenica on November 8, 2013 at 4:14 am

Einstein and Duke, made for each other! I love the pics of them. So adorable. Essie is my favorite, I like the Sable Collar.

7. Deborah on November 8, 2013 at 5:05 am

I just love the photos of the dogs. Adorable.

8. Kristi on November 8, 2013 at 5:06 am

I’ve had a butter keeper on my wish list for quite a while. Maybe this will be the holiday season I can cross it off my list.

9. Charlene on November 8, 2013 at 5:37 am

Never got the idea of a butter keeper but always looking for “gadgets” for my kitchen. Love the puppy pics. I show hubby every week, since we have two Goldens also. Now he is getting the urge for a male Golden and even though we “definately” are not getting one yet he already has a name for the little fur ball. Wonder what Santa will be leaving under the tree this year?? Have a great weekend and keep the puppy pics coming.

10. Janet on November 8, 2013 at 6:53 am

I love the pictures of the dogs :) So stinkin’ cute!!

11. Erin Leigh on November 8, 2013 at 7:07 am

gaaahhh Duke! I love dogs and puppies and grown up puppies. Essie nail polish…. I have an addiction, a serious one. I love all of the different colors and all of their names! Oh and the fact that most of them aren’t all that sparkly. I’m hoping to get a bunch more in my Christmas stocking.

12. Lisa B on November 8, 2013 at 7:32 am

Love me some Duke and Einstein! I have a cat I call Butter Bean because he will go nuts every time I open the butter keeper…. LOVES it!! Happy Friday, Happier weekend!!

13. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on November 8, 2013 at 8:04 am

Oh my gosh! What are you feeding Duke? He got HUGE! It’s like he grew over night! Wow! I love the pictures of Duke and Einstein! I will repeat it again as I did last Friday, but they are both so adorable!!!

14. Terri on November 8, 2013 at 8:26 am

I recently took an organization class at my job and one of the things the instructor suggested was doing a ‘Veggie’ task early in your day. These are tasks you don’t necessarily enjoy but are good for your business or personal health. Sounds like you have discovered ‘Veggie’ tasks. And since I think you have posted about not being a vegetable fan maybe you can count that task as a daily serving!! Have a great weekend.

15. nancy K on November 8, 2013 at 8:27 am

I love getting my dog fix every Friday morning. The boys are adorable and Duke for sure is going to be the BIG little brother before you know it. Being a Goden owner, you my have already seen the YouTube videos of the Golden listen to a man off camera playing a guitar. The video…Golden Loves Guitar… is being used locally, in MA, in a promotion for a health care agency. Anyway, I thought of you when I first saw it. It is funny and adorable.

16. Chelsea @chelseasmessyapron on November 8, 2013 at 8:29 am

Those new Essie colors look beautiful. My favorite is the second to last- I’ll have to definitely get that one. Also, thousand island is my absolute favorite dressing, I love it!

17. Lucy on November 8, 2013 at 8:33 am

Happy Friday Michelle! Can’t believe how big Duke is getting! BTW, that’s a beautiful fireplace you have, I’m jealous! :) That was one thing I really wanted in my house, the smell, the warmth, oo la la! The next time I move it’s a must!!! Love the Essie colors, I will have to pick some up this weekend. Great idea of using a butter keeper! Thanks for sharing.

18. Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate on November 8, 2013 at 8:44 am

You honestly have no idea how much I want a dog after reading all of these weekly posts! You are killing me!

19. Sara on November 8, 2013 at 8:45 am

Those snuggle pictures are ADORABLE! :D

20. Jan P on November 8, 2013 at 8:47 am

Your blog is the first I look at each morning hoping for pictures of Duke and Einstein. So adorable. We have Goldens too, nothing better, hands down. Please keep the pictures coming, they make me smile every Friday. Oh, and love your recipes too!!

21. Dee on November 8, 2013 at 9:15 am

Thank you, thank you for mentioning the butter keeper. This truly is an argument with my husband — he’s a bread eater and HATES that he can’t spread the butter. I REFUSE to buy him Country Crock or anything ‘fake’ — I will only buy real butter and it’s an ongoing debate in our house! I am definitely buying one of these and we can both get what we want! You may have saved my marraige!!

22. Deb on November 8, 2013 at 9:48 am

My husband’s family always makes S’mores with Fudge stripes, peanut butter and the traditional marshmallow. ;) They are yummy!

23. Katie on November 8, 2013 at 10:15 am

Oh my gosh — I love that your dogs cuddle together — SO sweet. Love those new Essie colors, too. Can’t wait to try them!

24. Maria D. on November 8, 2013 at 10:25 am

Duke and Einstein are so cute together! Thanks for the butter keeper – definitely getting one of these for the house – tired of dealing with the hard butter too and it’s cute to boot!

25. Janice on November 8, 2013 at 10:46 am

OMG!! How funny that you would mention your taste in salad dressing changing from ranch to Thousand Island….I have done exactly the same thing!! My favorite TI dressing is Marie’s yogurt version of it. Love it and it has lower stats, too!

26. Annamaria @ Bakewell Junction on November 8, 2013 at 11:02 am

Michelle,
    Duke sits so nicely in the car. My crazy dog would be jumping all over the place. The puppies are just so cute.
    Annamaria

27. Tina on November 8, 2013 at 11:06 am

A peanut butter cup is fabulous in s’mores… but I also recommend Nutella instead! :)

28. Phyllis on November 8, 2013 at 11:24 am

I’m so getting the butter keeper now. I kept debating whether it was worth it. I’m so tired of tearing my toast up with cold hard butter in mornings.

29. Michelle Pannullo on November 8, 2013 at 12:30 pm

BEB – love this blog and have much enjoyed watching the furry boys…but your pets are not projectiles. Please put them in a harness or crate and seatbelt or secure those boys in when traveling in a car. It could save their life!

30. Auntiepatch on November 8, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Love the dog photos! Thanks -

31. Linda C. on November 8, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I have a butter bell from KAF too and I love it!!! And your dogs are adorable!!!

32. Betsy on November 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Look forward to hearing the Duke news on Friday. It is apparent that he thinks Einstein is just about the best thing since butter keepers!!!!!! So darn cute!

33. Linda C. on November 8, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Thanks for the link to Stiicks. I just signed up as a backer. They’re a great idea and look really nice!

34. Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) on November 8, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Your pups are so cute! I can’t handle it!

35. Steph in Lex on November 8, 2013 at 6:51 pm

How have I never heard about a butter keeper?? I too hate refrigerated butter. My husband and I have arguments about it because I’m always wanting to keep it out so it’s ready for me to spread whenever. It just went on my Amazon wish list!

36. Josie Freeman on November 8, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Your puppies are so snuggly. I just love the pics you post of them. :)

37. Elisa on November 8, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Your dogs are the most adorable things ever!!

38. Beth on November 8, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Michelle, I have made a load of recipes from your site and all with success and one better than the other.. My daughter loves to help and has even grown too big to sit on the counter now. Recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes, i was wondering if you have ever “dabbled”in diabetic recipes?

• Michelle on November 11th, 2013 at 10:21 am

Hi Beth, Unfortunately, I have not done anything with diabetic-type recipes.

39. Becca @ Crumbs on November 9, 2013 at 4:02 am

Love love love your Essie colour choices! Have a great weekend

40. Kristin on November 10, 2013 at 1:42 pm

My MIL just keeps her butter out on a tray or covered dish and it is fine for a few days. We’ve started doing it and have no trouble with it going bad. Sometimes in the summer it gets too hot and melts so we pop it in the fridge during the afternoon. No special gadgets, just happy soft butter!

41. Linda T on November 10, 2013 at 5:34 pm

My grandmother and I both keep out butter in the cabinet or on the counter in a covered dish . Even living in Texas with our heat, we have had no problems.

42. jyllzie on November 12, 2013 at 12:14 pm

i’m all about the peanut butter s’mores…with either a dark chocolate peanut butter cup or dark chocolate and peanut butter. they are even called ‘jyllmores’ in my circles :) my fav winter evening scenario: eating a jyllmore (made in the toaster oven) sitting in front of a blazing fire in the family room fiireplace…aaahhhhh…..

one last thing: where is Brody??????

43. Annette on November 16, 2013 at 8:57 am

I recently started using a butter keeper as well. I love it!
    I enjoy seeing the sweet pics of your dogs.