63 Best Selling Cookbooks & Kitchen Gift Ideas (2013)

Every December I marvel at how much my cookbook and kitchen wish list has grown over the year. While I buy things as the year goes on, more things go on my list than come off of it. Then the end-of-year lists come out with best sellers, editors picks, and new products… suddenly I’m like a little kid huddled over the JCPenney Christmas catalog feverishly making a list for Santa. In an effort to help you narrow down what to add to your list, this is the first of two gift guides that I’ll be putting together for you this holiday season, each with a slightly different theme. This one is a roundup of some of the bestselling and highest rated cookbooks and kitchen items in 2013. Maybe you’re shopping for others that love to spend time in the kitchen, or you’re putting together your own wish list… either way, I guarantee you’ll find lots of new ideas in the way of cookbooks and things to play with in the kitchen!

Amazon Best Cookbooks of 2013

Amazon Best Cookbooks of 2013

1. Manresa: An Edible Reflection by David Kinch

2. Tartine Book No. 3 by Chad Robertson

3. Ottolenghi: The Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi

4. Daniel: My French Cuisine by Daniel Boulud

5. One Good Dish by David Tanis

6. Smoke and Pickles: Recipes and Stories from a New Southern Kitchen by Edward Lee

7. Pati’s Mexican Table: The Secrets of Real Mexican Home Cooking by Pati Jinich

8. The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays by Ree Drummond

9. Vegetable Literacy by Deborah Madison

10. Well Fed 2: More Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat by Melissa Joulwan

11. Pok Pok: Food and Stories from the Streets, Homes, and Roadside Restaurants of Thailand by Andy Ricker

12. Balaboosta by Einat Admony

13. Bountiful: Recipes Inspired by Our Garden by Todd Porter and Diane Cu

14. The Heart of the Plate: Vegetarian Recipes For a New Generation by Mollie Katzen

15. In the Charcuterie: The Fatted Calf’s Guide to Making Sausage, Salumi, Pates, Roasts, Confits, and Other Meaty Goods by Taylor Boetticher and Toponia Miller

16. Seasons by Donna Hay

17. Sweet by Valerie Gordon

18. Franny’s: Simple Seasonal Italian by Andrew Feinberg, Francine Stephens, and Melissa Clark

19. Saving the Season: A Cook’s Guide to Canning, Pickling, and Preserving by Kevin West

20. Giada’s Feel Good Food: My Healthy Recipes and Secrets by Giada DeLaurentiis

James Beard 2013 Cookbook Award Winners

James Beard 2013 Cookbook Winners

Cookbook of the Year: Gran Cocina Latina: The Food of Latin America by Maricel E. Presilla

American Cooking: Mastering the Art of Southern Cooking by Nathalie Dupree and Cynthia Graubart

Baking and Dessert: Flour Water Salt Yeast: The Fundamentals of Artisan Bread and Pizza by Ken Forkish

Beverage: Wine Grapes: A Complete Guide to 1,368 Vine Varieties, Including Their Origins and Flavours by Janice Robinson, Julia Harding, and José Vouillamoz

Cooking From a Professional Point of View: Toqué! Creators of a New Quebec Gastronomy by Normand Laprise

Focus on Health: Cooking Light The New Way To Cook Light: Fresh Food & Bold Flavors for Today’s Home Cook by Scott Mowbray and Ann Taylor Pittman

General Cooking: Canal House Cooks Everyday by Melissa Hamilton and Christopher Hirsheimer

International: Jerusalem: A Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi & Sami Tamimi

Photography: What Katie Ate: Recipes and Other Bits & Pieces by Katie Quinn Davies

Reference and Scholarship: The Art of Fermentation: An In-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World by Sandor Ellix Katz

Single Subject: Ripe: A Cook in the Orchard by Nigel Slater

Vegetable Focused and Vegetarian: Roots: The Definitive Compendium with More Than 225 Recipes by Diane Morgan

Writing and Literature: Yes, Chef: A Memoir by Marcus Samuelsson

7. The Chinese Takeout Cookbook by Diana Kuan

8. Williams-Sonoma Collection: Soup by Diane Rossen Worthington

9. Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston’s Flour Bakery + Cafe by Joanne Chang

10. The Best Soups and Stews by Cook’s Illustrated Magazine Editors

Amazon Best Selling Kitchen Items

Amazon Best Selling Kitchen Items

1. Artisan Metal Works Silcone Non-Stick Baking Mat Sets (Bakeware)

2. Tovolo Sphere Ice Molds (Barware)

3. Keurig K-Cup Home Brewer (Coffee, Tea & Espresso)

4. Whirley Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper (Cookware)

5. Big Mouth Toys Ultimate Wine Bottle Glass (Glassware & Drinkware)

6. Mr. Beer Premium Gold Edition Beer Kit (Home Brewing & Wine Making)

7. Totally Bamboo 3-Piece Cutting Board Set (Kitchen Knives and Cutlery Accessories)

8. Wilton Easy Flex 3-Piece Silicone Spatula Set (Kitchen Utensils & Gadgets)

9. Oster Electric Wine-Bottle Opener (Small Appliances)

10. Thermos Stainless King 16-Ounce Food Jar (Storage & Organization)

Most Purchased Kitchen Items of 2013 by Brown Eyed Baker Readers

Most Purchased Kitchen Items of 2013 by BEB Readers

1. Norpro Cream Canoe Pan with 9-Piece Decorating Set

2. Progressive International Freezer Pop Maker with Freezer Pop Sticks

3. Norpro Stainless Steel Cannoli Forms

4. John Boos Block Board Cream with Beeswax

5. Norpro Ice Pop Maker

6. OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer

7. Vollrath Aluminum Cookie Sheets

8. KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment

9. Ateco 4-Piece Set of Standard Couplers

10. Nordic Ware Cake Lifter

What were some of your favorite cookbooks and kitchen toys of 2013?

25 Responses to “63 Best Selling Cookbooks & Kitchen Gift Ideas (2013)”

1. Joan on December 9, 2013 at 5:18 am

what a line-up!

2. Leia on December 9, 2013 at 6:38 am

Killer list you have compiled, now I have more to add to my “wish list”. Santa’s going to busy this year.

3. Maxine on December 9, 2013 at 6:46 am

Now I have to track down some of those cookbooks!

4. Andrea on December 9, 2013 at 8:39 am

Pioneer Woman without a doubt! I want a LODGE too!!! And I love my immersion blender. But my all time favorite kitchen item…parchment paper. No Joke! If I was on a deserted island and could only have one thing…parchment paper.

5. Kara C. on December 9, 2013 at 9:31 am

I still love my Better Homes and Garden Cookbook, but I have started getting recipes more and more from blogs and less from cookbooks, but I would love to add to my library!

6. Judith M. on December 9, 2013 at 9:41 am

My favorite cookbook is the old standard ‘Joy of Cooking’. I couldn’t face the day without a cup of coffee from my Keurig. What a great invention.

7. Mary Jo on December 9, 2013 at 10:46 am

Favorite product would be my Keurig coffee maker :) Favorite cookbook is Betty Crocker, the old standby. However, I have started checking online blogs more and more.

8. Alecita on December 9, 2013 at 11:19 am

So many books, and not enough time to read…and cook and bake everything in them. Gah.

9. Vicki on December 9, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Your list gave me a few more Christmas ideas! Thanks! Also, now I can see a trip to Brooklyn is in order so that I can visit the Baked Bakery…their cookbook is now on MY Christmas wishlist!

10. Andrea on December 9, 2013 at 12:56 pm

Just forwarded this email to my mom with a *hint hint* about wanting a cookbook for Christmas! Hoping to get the Pioneer Woman cookbook. They all look fantastic though!

11. Christine on December 9, 2013 at 1:28 pm

My most favorite Food purchase this year is my Kitchen Aid Ice Cream Maker. I will seriously consider selling my Ice Cream to friends and friends of friends because it is such an easy to use product making a quality Ice Cream!

12. Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes on December 9, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Great line up!!!

13. Miss Nancy Pants on December 9, 2013 at 1:39 pm

..Nice list! I love a lot of those baking books you list! Baked is such a great one!

14. Lynne on December 9, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Love, love, love my Oster Electric (but cordless!) wine opener. Use it at least 2x a week, the only item used more in my kitchen is my coffee maker. The other thing that I could not live without is my onion goggles :-) I look funny, but I don’t cry!

15. Nancy Nicholls on December 9, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Definitely the Dahlia and also I ordered the Modern Cafe cookbook as I was in Sonoma in October and stopped off at their bakery. I will try a few of the listed books you have discussed as they sound great. I’ve also wanted to get Flour this year. I always have a huge cook book list as I read them like novels and then bake away!

16. Rosene S on December 9, 2013 at 3:19 pm

I love cook books! They are on my Christmas wish list

17. Laura Dembowski on December 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm

And to think I thought my Christmas list was complete! Thanks for all the ideas!

18. Maureen on December 9, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Any list with a Pioneer Woman book on it is more about marketing than food and quality recipes.

19. Jamie Dunn on December 9, 2013 at 11:18 pm

My favorite tool this year is my Hario ceramic coffee mill! Favorite cookbook.. Ottolenghi’s Plenty! Lots of those books are still on my list.

20. Jilene on December 10, 2013 at 1:25 am

The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays by Ree Drummond her best book yet. All of them are good!

21. Terry on December 10, 2013 at 1:32 am

Seems to me a complete necessary kitchen line up! I should try some of them for my Mom of this Christmas gift :)

22. 2 Sisters Recipes on December 10, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I love the silicone mats for baking, they are absolutely the best thing ever invented. I love so many cookbooks its hard to choose my favorite ones. Great post!

23. Krystel Labatt on December 10, 2013 at 6:16 pm

Nice list ! Kitchen gadget are such great gift, it is the new trend ! It makes cooking fun and easy. If you like it there’s some other cool ideas on this website http://www.thethingoid.com

24. Vicki Pieranunzi on December 10, 2013 at 9:34 pm