The Weekend Dish: 12/14/2013

Welcome to the weekend!

I can’t believe we’ve creeped into the middle of December already! How on earth did this happen?! How are your Christmas preparations coming along? I finally got my shopping kicked off this week and was able to knock some things off of my list, but there is still much left to do. I also need to buy wrapping paper! I feel so disheveled this year! Today my mom and I are supposed to do some cookie baking, but we may get some nasty weather, so I might be doing solo baking. First up on my list is peppermint bark! What are you most excited to bake this year?

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

63 Best Selling Cookbooks & Kitchen Gift Ideas (2013) – A huge roundup of bestselling cookbooks and some of the hottest kitchen items of the year.

63 Best Selling Cookbooks & Kitchen Gift Ideas

Classic Thumbprint Cookies – Simple buttery, sugar thumbprints filled with favorite jams.

Classic Thumbprint Cookies

Panettone [Italian Christmas Bread] – Wonderfully sweet bread loaded with rum-soaked raisins and candied orange peel.

Panettone [Italian Christmas Bread]

Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Bark – My love of chocolate bark and my love peanut butter collide in this fabulous candy.

Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Bark

Friday Things – My pups, a holiday mantle, an inspiring video, food crazes, and more…

einy-duke-sitting

Most Viewed Post This Week: 157 Christmas Cookies & Holiday Recipes

Most Pinned Post This Week: Classic Thumbprint Cookies

Most Emailed Post This Week: Cinnamon-Sugar Candied Pecans

Most Facebook Shared Post This Week: Old-Fashioned Eggnog

Most Tweeted Post This Week: Old-Fashioned Eggnog

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes and posts from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like, too:

Bourbon, Brown Butter, and Vanilla Bean Shortbread Cookies (Love and Olive Oil)
These might be the most amazing shortbread cookies that I’ve ever seen. Must make!

Easy Fluffy Eggnog Cinnamon Rolls (Half Baked Harvest)
What a fabulous idea for a special Christmas morning treat.

Red Velvet Sugar Cookies (Cooking Classy)
Such vibrant, beautiful cookies! I always equate red velvet with Valentine’s Day, but they totally deserve a spot on the Christmas platter.

Salted Dark Chocolate Honey Biscotti (Girl Versus Dough)
I grew up on biscotti, so I always love seeing different variations. This one in particular sounds fabulous.

Toasted Marshmallow Cream Hot Chocolate (How Sweet It Is)
Oh my. I want to take a bath in these drinks.

What was the best thing you ate this week??

Have a delicious weekend!

13 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 12/14/2013”

1. Ellen on December 14, 2013 at 3:29 am

I gotta make those thumbprints! Best thing eaten this week was probably some cookies I’m testing out that use cottage cheese in the dough. They were very shortbread like-I’m gonna be posting the recipe in about a week…
    Happy weekend to you too!

2. Leia on December 14, 2013 at 6:52 am

I did not eat anything terribly memorable, but that’s because I have been busy working and no time to bake something amazing.

3. Judith M. on December 14, 2013 at 8:26 am

Broccolli cheese soup from Panera.

4. Tieghan on December 14, 2013 at 9:06 am

Love all the Christmassy links this week! I still cannot believe Christmas is in 11 days! Time is going too fast!

Thanks for including my eggnog cinnamon rolls this week! :)

5. Emily @ Life on Food on December 14, 2013 at 10:47 am

I am all about the thumbprints and hot chocolate this weekend.

6. karen on December 14, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I am in the process of making the pecan tassies and would like to know if you can freeze them till Christmas?

• Michelle on December 16th, 2013 at 11:27 am

Hi Karen, Yes, you can freeze them for Christmas! Enjoy!

7. Pieliekamais on December 14, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I am excited that I won’t be baking my traditional Christmas cheesecake! I’ll get my gingersnaps from a store (I’ll spring for a fancier brand), slap some strong blue cheese on top and enjoy not being super exausted for once :)

8. Kate @ Coffee with Kate on December 14, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I literally just finished baking your Classic Thumbprints! Did a couple substitutions and they turned out great! Thank you so much for the recipe. I paid you kudos in my blog :)

9. Emily on December 14, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Had a fabulous Cheeseburger last night with a salad. Good because I didn’t cook it or clean up after! :) Looking forward to making some cookies next week! Thanks for the inspirational choices!

10. Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough on December 14, 2013 at 7:33 pm

I need to make those thumbprint cookies! They remind me of the jam-filled ones my Oma used to make that I loved so much.
    Oh and thanks so much for featuring my biscotti! :)

11. Vicki on December 16, 2013 at 8:10 am

Cooking Classy also has the BEST Frosted Eggnog Cookie recipe…I had to bake mine a little longer than she did but this cookie is worth a try…I made 6 dozen for a cookie exchange and everyone commented that they were delicious! You all need to add this to your “must try” baking list!

12. Cheryl Newton on December 16, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Wow! Your “baby’s” puppy face is gone. Did they take that during his “procedure” too?