The Weekend Dish: 12/21/2013

Happy Saturday-before-Christmas!

If I’m not mistaken, wasn’t it just the Saturday after Thanksgiving? I am definitely not a fan of this condensed time schedule between Thanksgiving and Christmas… I need more time to watch Christmas movies and bake! Today we are celebrating our Christmas dinner with my grandparents and my dad’s side of the family. So, Christmas has officially kicked off for us! We’ll have a couple of days of downtime before enjoying Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with our respective families. I need to get wrapping!

How are you spending the last weekend before the holiday?

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

10 Awesome Foodie Gift Ideas (2013) – A roundup of some unique gift ideas for the food-lover on your Christmas list.

10 Awesome Foodie Gift Ideas

Decker Cake – A goodie from my great-grandmother’s archives; an easy cake with layers of ground walnuts, pineapple, and topped with prune butter.

Decker Cake

Yule Log [Bûche de Noël] with Espresso Mascarpone Filling and Ganache Icing – This is undeniably rich and utterly delicious; I wanted to eat the ganache with a spoon!

Yule Log [Bûche de Noël] with Espresso Mascarpone Filling and Ganache Icing

Eggnog Bundt Cake with Rum Icing – An eggnog-infused Bundt cake with a spiced rum swirl, and topped with a kickin’ rum icing.

Eggnog Bundt Cake with Rum Icing

Friday Things – Groomed puppies, snow, flower arranging, holiday baking, and more…

Friday Things

Most Viewed Post This Week: 157 Christmas Cookies & Holiday Recipes

Most Pinned Post This Week: Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

Most Facebook Shared Post This Week: Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

Most Emailed Post This Week: Cinnamon-Sugar Candied Pecans

Most Tweeted Post This Week: Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes and posts from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like, too:

Bacon Maple Shortbread (Closet Cooking)
How amazing does this sound?! Such a great sweet/savory combination!

Butterscotch Pretzel Pie (Seeded at the Table)
I love pretzel crusts, and the saltiness would go perfectly with a butterscotch filling and whipped cream topping.

Extra Cheesy Classic Homemade Lasagna (Half Baked Harvest)
Without a doubt, the most amazing lasagna I have ever seen. Ever. I will be making this immediately after the holidays.

Gingerbread Cake with Molasses Buttercream (Blahnik Baker)
I love the addition of the molasses-spiked buttercream and caramel drizzle on top of this cake.

Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate Ice Cream (Iowa Girl Eats)
This ice cream looks like the stuff of dreams. A perfect way to enjoy ice cream with some traditional winter flavors!

What was the best thing you ate this week??

Have a delicious weekend!

12 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 12/21/2013”

1. linda on December 21, 2013 at 3:36 am

The last thing I ate was buckeye.

2. Pieliekamais on December 21, 2013 at 5:46 am

Best thing – probably salmon.
    I’ll be working this weekend and going to the woods with my pup.

3. Tieghan on December 21, 2013 at 8:49 am

Your Yule Log was gorgeous and that ganache! Oh man, I could totally eat it all with a spoon!

Thanks so much for including my Lasagna in your links this week!! It is a favorite meal of my families! :)

4. Lynne on December 21, 2013 at 10:02 am

Who won the iPad?

5. lori on December 21, 2013 at 10:21 am

I will spend these last days cleaning up and baking cookies. I have two dinners to prepare for. I made your soft and chewy gingersnaps for our Neighborhood Holiday cookie exchange. They tasted delicious but they didn’t look as pretty as yours and I had to flatten them out by hand to make them spread…they didn’t on there own. What did I do wrong…can you give me any tips?

6. Kate on December 21, 2013 at 10:36 am

Any update on who won the iPad Air?

7. Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweet on December 21, 2013 at 11:07 am

Definitely going to be doing some wrapping!

8. Emily on December 21, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Sadly, I still have some shopping to do. But I’ll also be baking and wrapping this weekend. Best thing I ate this week was a candy coated puffed corn mix. Doesn’t sound like much but is seriously addictive!

9. Nikki @Seeded at the Table on December 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm

We are taking it easy this weekend before the craziness of the in-laws arriving! ;) Thanks for featuring the butterscotch pie. I’m ready to make it again for Christmas!

10. Vicki on December 22, 2013 at 12:16 am

You have such beautiful dogs, I bet they are a treasure! I love your website!

11. Vicki on December 22, 2013 at 12:18 am

Hope, you have a very Merry Christmas and a Tremendous New Year!

12. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker on December 22, 2013 at 1:26 am

I’m finishing my shopping tomorrow sadly but I should be all set! Thank you very much for including my cake in the features this week. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and New Year!