The Weekend Dish: 1/18/2014

Happy weekend to you!

I hope that you had a fantastic week and that you’re properly thawed out from last week’s deep freeze. It’s crazy to be bundled up in a fleece blanket while watching the insane heat at the Australian Open this week. I just can’t even imagine playing tennis for 3 hours in 107 degree heat. I would be waving the white flag within 15 minutes. It’s scary how sick some of the players have gotten; just nuts. We have a pretty low-key weekend planned here. I may try my hand at some homemade shaving cream today; tomorrow will be spent watching football! What are you up to this weekend?

As always, you’ll find a recap of what was posted to the site this week as well as some bookmarked recipes from other blogs. Enjoy!

On Brown Eyed Baker This Week

Sky-High Lemon Meringue Pie Bars – Everything fabulous about lemon meringue pie, but without the fuss of pie crust.

Sky-High Lemon Meringue Pie Bars

My Mom’s Legendary Italian Salad Dressing – My mom has been fixing salads with her own blend of seasonings since I was little, and I finally got around to taking measurements so I could share it with you!

My Mom’s Legendary Italian Salad Dressing

Doggie Pupcakes with Yogurt-Peanut Butter Frosting {Happy 7th Birthday, Einstein!} – We celebrated Einstein’s 7th birthday this week with special homemade treats!

Dulce De Leche Brownies – My favorite brownie recipe infused with a layer of dulce de leche right in the middle. Amazing!

Dulce De Leche Brownies

Friday Things – An alternative to regular corn syrup, chicken parmesan, a winning basket, a funny commercial, and more!

Friday Things

Most Viewed Post This Week: Top 10 List: Favorite Cupcake Recipes

Most Pinned Post This Week: My Mom’s Legendary Italian Salad Dressing

Most Facebook Shared Post This Week: Sky-High Lemon Meringue Pie Bars

Most Emailed Post This Week: My Mom’s Legendary Italian Salad Dressing

Most Tweeted Post This Week: Chocolate Ice Cream

What I Bookmarked This Week

Recipes and posts from other blogs that I thought looked especially delicious and that I thought you would like, too:

Apple BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches with Apple Slaw (Closet Cooking)
I LOVE a good pulled sandwich; whether it’s chicken, beef or pork. This BBQ chicken version sounds amazing, especially paired with an apple slaw.

Cabernet Braised Short Rib Beef Stew (How Sweet It Is)
I have not made a pot of stew since September, and this is seriously calling my name. It’s going on the dinner menu for next week.

Roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean Burgers with Smoked Paprika Chipotle Sauce (Foodie with Family)
I was on a black bean burger kick years ago, but haven’t made them in a long time. I love the addition of sweet potato here, as well as the spicy kick from the sauce. I imagine that would be phenomenal drizzled on just about anything!

Salted Caramel Macaroon Thumbprint Cookies (Bakers Royale)
These are some of the most beautiful cookies I’ve seen in a long time. Plus, the idea is genius!

Simple Chocolate Birthday Cake with Whipped Chocolate Buttercream (Half Baked Harvest)
I will choose chocolate cake over white/yellow cake 100 times out of 100. I love how silky this whipped buttercream looks; I could dive head-first into this cake!

Have a delicious weekend!

12 Responses to “The Weekend Dish: 1/18/2014”

1. shobelyn on January 18, 2014 at 7:27 am

Picturing you bundled in a fleece blanket and watching the Australian Open, I am not sure if we are better to have this freezing cold place or them roasting in the heat. Either ways, I feel lucky to be watching my Seahawks this weekend, and like you, bundled in a fleece.

2. Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers on January 18, 2014 at 9:23 am

Stay warm and cozy and enjoy the football games. This week feels like the Super Bowl because of all the great teams playing, go 49r’s! :) I plan on making Einsteins birthday pupcakes this weekend! As for tomorrow I’m heading to San Francisco to go to the Winter Fancy Food Event. Have a great weekend!

3. deb on January 18, 2014 at 10:23 am

Do the Lemon Meringue Pie Bars weep?

• Michelle on January 18th, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Hi Deb, Mine did not!

4. judi on January 18, 2014 at 3:46 pm

Love these post!!
    Pinned that black bean burger…OMG! I want it now!!

5. linda on January 18, 2014 at 4:06 pm

hi michelle,
    just finished taking (your fab recipe for) the “brownie mosaic cheesecake” out of my oven!! it is resting & cooling.
    i have a quick question…i was thinking (rather dreaming of…) your coffee-and-espresso layered cheesecake…how would it be if i added the “own bowl brownies” to the coffee or espresso layer? would i have to change anything in the recipe or baking time?
    please let me know what you think.
    thanks so much!
    have a great weekend.

• Michelle on January 19th, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Hi Linda, I think it would work! I would probably add them to the bottom layer, since they would likely sink if put in the top layer.

• linda on January 20th, 2014 at 12:17 am

Thank you so much for your reply…and in will def bake as you suggested.
        Really love your blog!
        Enjoy the dog antics as well…& fri things …cool!

6. Lori on January 18, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Michelle – thanks for posting two of the recipes you book marked this week. I went ahead and adapted the recipe for the black bean burgers. I didn’t use an egg and instead of the tomato sauce I substituted a plum tomato. They were terrific…and I made the apple slaw from your other suggested post to go with the bean burgers. Wow!!!! Give it a try…you won’t be disappointed.

7. Bridget on January 20, 2014 at 1:15 pm

Let us know if the shaving cream works out.

• Michelle on January 23rd, 2014 at 8:19 pm

Hi Bridget, It worked just fine, but I don’t know if I love it. I love how much it moisturizes, but I don’t know that I am getting as close of a shave with it as I did with my old shaving cream (use Skintimate). I’m still going to give it a few more weeks!

8. Cecilia on January 20, 2014 at 10:39 pm

I actually made that shaving cream as a gift for my husband and he loves it, so I hope it works well for you too!