Friday Things

duke-einstein-1242014

1. Duke is almost 7 months old now, and he has significantly calmed down. Don’t get me wrong, he’s still a zany little puppy, but he is far less crazy than he was a few months ago. Einstein’s tail and ears have finally caught a break, and these two buddies are happy to relax together, as well as chase each other around our snow-covered yard. Now that Duke is bigger, he and Einstein can engage in some real play, and they do a great job of tiring each other out. We also have some spirited games of tug of war over here!

2. Based on your feedback a few weeks ago, it seemed that a lot of you were interested in seeing a Stitch Fix review. I went ahead and put one together from my last shipment and posted it in the Home & Garden section. Those posts won’t show up on the main page, but as long as you are an RSS or email subscriber, you will still receive them.

3. Confession: I am not a Justin Timberlake fan. His music is alright, but all the hubbub about him? I guess I just don’t get it. Different strokes…

4. I pretty much live in jeans, so this slideshow of 60 Stylish Ways to Wear a Basic Pair of Blue Jeans was made for me!

5. In an attempt to add some furniture and finishings to our house, my Chief Culinary Consultant and I did some shopping last weekend. We struck out on everything, with the exception of a couple of mosaic hangings that we found at Pier 1. We hung one in our powder room and I am in total love with it!

Powder Room - Mosaid from Pier1

It adds the perfect pop of color, and since the powder room has a fairly high ceiling, this long piece worked perfectly. Decorating baby steps :)

6. I finally got my Whitney English day designer this week, and am looking forward to carving out a few hours to sit down with it and start planning. I’ll be sure to report back about how I like it!

7. Within the last few weeks, Facebook has changed its algorithm to diminish the amount of content from brand pages that show up in individuals’ news feeds. I’ve received a number of emails from readers who are concerned because they haven’t been seeing updates from the BEB Facebook page lately. There are a couple of things you can do to make sure you don’t miss anything:

When you hover over the “Like” button, a little drop down menu will appear. Make sure that “Get Notifications” is selected, as seen below:

FB-example

If you rely on Facebook to get new content updates, make sure you are also subscribed either through an RSS feed or email to ensure that you don’t miss anything!

8. Do you remember the enormous crossword puzzle that I worked on last year right after the holidays? Well, my grandparents clipped out the 2013 version and mailed it to me right after Christmas. I finally started working on it this week and, oh my, does it take time! I’m pretty proud of my progress so far! I think I’m going to trump last year’s results :)

9. Last Friday, I met Jessica for a burgers and shake lunch, and this Nutter Butter milkshake rocked my world. I need to recreate it at home ASAP.

10. TGIF! I hope you enjoy a cozy weekend and keep warm!

duke-fireplace

26 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Averie @ Averie Cooks on January 24, 2014 at 1:18 am

I’m so jealz! My Whitney English still hasn’t shipped yet – probably another 3 weeks or so. Please LMK how you like it (or love it! ) :)

2. Pieliekamais on January 24, 2014 at 3:14 am

Thanks for the Stitch Fix update!
    I forgot that it’s Friday as in Friday things and it was great to see Duke and Einstein again :)

3. MaryB on January 24, 2014 at 3:30 am

LOVE that mosaic! It is so cool. Question – where did you grandparents find that enormous crossword puzzle?

• Michelle on January 24th, 2014 at 11:03 am

Hi Mary, It’s been in a local newspaper the last two years.

4. Debbie on January 24, 2014 at 6:17 am

You have the warmest, coziest, home I’ve ever see. :)

Love all your pics :D

Debbie

• Michelle on January 24th, 2014 at 11:04 am

Aw, thank you so much!

5. Valerie P on January 24, 2014 at 6:30 am

I am totally in love with your mosaic wall art. It is beautiful. I have no Pier 1 in our area of the boonies, but am thinking I might like to design and make one. (Big ambitions!( Just a thought anyway. Thanks for the pic and the idea.

6. Lisa from the 'Burgh on January 24, 2014 at 8:18 am

So excited about another Burgatory opening at the Waterfront. The milkshake looks amazing. I need to try one of the “adult” shakes but the burger fills me up. Guess I can have a shake as my meal, right?!?

Your boys are so darn cute!!!

• Michelle on January 24th, 2014 at 11:05 am

Hi Lisa, The burgers always fill me up, too, so I end up getting a milkshake to go before I leave for dessert :)

7. Regina on January 24, 2014 at 8:43 am

Just curious if you meant Justin Bieber, since he has been in the news lately.

• Michelle on January 24th, 2014 at 11:06 am

Nope, definitely meant Justin Timberlake. Justin Bieber is definitely way, way too young to be anywhere near my radar.

8. Moss on January 24, 2014 at 9:10 am

You are going to love your WE planner. Isn’t it nice that handwritten planners aren’t a dead art? I’ve tried digital planners but it’s just not the same. Thank you for the Stitch Fix review. Convinced me to try it and I’m liking it so far. And as for JT, I’m not a huge fan either, but there is an SNL video he did about a certain hmm-hmm body part in a box. It is totally raunchy humor, but if you’re into that, it may make you like him a little.

• Michelle on January 24th, 2014 at 11:08 am

Haha, I have seen that and I must say, it’s hysterical ;-) I also like the Jimmy Falon/Justin Timberlake “history of rap”.

9. Alicia S on January 24, 2014 at 9:49 am

We discovered Burgatory since my son is a Freshman at Pitt. OMG, BEST Burger and Shakes EVER!

10. Janice on January 24, 2014 at 10:40 am

Your “puppies” are adorable! They bring so much love & enjoyment to their owners, don’t they?

11. Jennifer on January 24, 2014 at 11:13 am

Oh my gosh I LOVE that mosaic!! As for Facebook… UGH! They are getting soooo bad about showing you your pages. I subscrube to about 150 but see less than 10 on a regular basis. Even clicking the “get notifications” doesn’t seem to help! GRRRR

12. Denise P. on January 24, 2014 at 11:23 am

I just love the pics of Duke and Einstein. They are so sweet. I have a Golden and they are the best!!!

13. Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes on January 24, 2014 at 11:37 am

Yes please do recreate that nutter butter milkshake. Holy cow!

14. Emily on January 24, 2014 at 5:34 pm

Hey Michelle, which dog is which in that first photo?

• Michelle on January 24th, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Einstein is one the top, Duke is below :)

15. Zainab @ Blahnik Baker on January 24, 2014 at 8:34 pm

Your mural wall art is so pretty!! I’ve been meaning to get a planner like that too…hope you like it!

16. Becca @ Crumbs on January 25, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Love the mosaic, it looks really good in there!

17. Sister on January 26, 2014 at 4:04 pm

In regards to #3 – I’m shocked! It’s like I don’t even know you :( I’ll lend you all of his CD’s :)

18. Laura Dembowski on January 26, 2014 at 8:31 pm

That mosaic is gorgeous! I love really cool accents like that in houses. But I have to admit I am a huge Justin Timberlake fan. He was the first concert I saw in 6 years last summer and I’m seeing him again this summer. I also have a huge crush on him :)

19. Gina on January 28, 2014 at 5:11 pm

I look forward to Friday Things so I can see Einstein and Duke. They look so adorable together. I have a 4 year old German Shepherd, not sure if he would adjust to a new pup in the family. Sometimes I think it would help him not feel bored when we aren’t home. He has a lot of energy to expend.

20. Nila @ The Tough Cookie on January 29, 2014 at 5:08 pm

Hi Michelle,

I just stumbled upon your site when I was checking out if my snickers cookies would show up in Google (yes, I google myself. Who doesn’t?). As it turns out, they did! As did yours!

So I clicked and saw a picture of a cute dog, clicked again and found out that he is almost 7 months now and I feel like we have a ton in common already! I mean, you have a blog and love to bake, I have a blog and love to bake. You have a 7-month-old pup, I have a 7-month-old pup! As a matter of fact, I just described a day in the life of my puppy on my blog today ;)

Anyway, I’m not crazy or anything. Just glad to have found a great food blog run by someone who has two cute dogs ;) Looking forward to reading your blog!

xoxo, Nila