Friday Things

1. In a matter of 48 hours last week, I went from this view:

Drive to Florida - WV

To this view:

Florida

From two feet of snow on the ground to clear blue skies and a warm, almost 80-degree sun. To say that it was a breath of fresh air would be an understatement.

2. Getting to south Florida was not without incident, however… after navigating some treacherous roads in North Carolina and only 30 miles away from a hotel for the night, we were on the brink of having to spend the night in our car in a rest stop parking lot. A tractor trailer got stuck on snow and ice on his way back onto the highway, and none of the 40+ cars trying to get out behind him could get around or back up, due to the snow. I had a mini panic attack, and then my Chief Culinary Consultant and I played Trivial Pursuit on my iPad for nearly two hours while we waited (side note: I am so, so bad at that game!). Finally, after people emerged from cars and trucks with things like chains and shovels, the truck was set free, as were the rest of us. I’ll never think of a “quick rest stop” the same again!

3. The memorial services for my CCC’s grandfather were beautiful. On Saturday, we gathered with family and friends in the community where he lived for a service and luncheon, then on Sunday about 25 of us went out on a chartered boat for his final service. I’m glad we were able to make the trip down and spend time with his family, and enjoy some wonderful weather as well. It is great to be back home, though… we missed our pups so much! Also, is it just me, or is one of the best parts of coming home from a trip taking a shower in your own bathroom? It feels so good after showering in a hotel for a number of days!

4. I snapped this sunrise from our hotel window in North Carolina on our way back home, and I can’t stop staring, it was such a beautiful sunrise!

Sunrise over North Carolina

6. Have you been watching the Olympics? We were able to catch a little of the primetime coverage back at the hotel, and lucked out that we could see both of the U.S. men’s hockey games on Saturday and Sunday before we had to leave the hotel for the day. Thanks to the NBC Live app (seriously, best idea EVER), we could also stream the quarterfinal hockey games on the way home Wednesday.

I watched the women’s gold medal game yesterday and would be lying if I said I wasn’t bummed that the U.S. ladies couldn’t pull it off. I’m on pins and needles waiting for the men’s U.S./Canada semifinal game at noon today! I will be glued to the TV!

Other than hockey, I’ve enjoyed watching skiing and snowboarding, speed skating, and figure skating. Basically, all the things that I would be terrified to do myself :)

7. This could not be more true!!

Grandma's

8. I love this Field Guide to Procrastinators that Mashable posted earlier this week:

Procrastination

I am definitely The Cleaner, The List Maker and The Snacker (that last one is shocking, I know!).

9. I can’t wait for The Americans to start back up next week! Since Boardwalk Empire and Homeland ended their seasons in December, I’ve felt like a rudderless ship when it comes to TV shows. I’ve been seeing a lot about the Netflix series House of Cards lately; I’ve never seen it – have you watched it? Is it any good?

10. TGIF! Reunited… and it feels so good!

Duke & Einstein back home!

45 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. ida on February 21, 2014 at 12:18 am

i can’t believe i am the first one to comment. glad you are back safely with the pups. there’s no place like home

2. Alexis on February 21, 2014 at 12:42 am

The field guide to procrastination is PRICELESS! I feel like I’m a little bit of the cleaner, the list maker and the snacker! Thanks for sharing! :D
    Alexis at Laugh. Eat. Learn.

3. jackocrafts on February 21, 2014 at 2:06 am

Watching the second season of House of Cards right now. I would DEFINITELY recommend it…so well written…AMAZING!!!!

• Teresa on February 21st, 2014 at 9:22 am

I completely agree with this post!! I literally gasped out loud during the first episode of season 2!

• Kerry on February 21st, 2014 at 9:36 am

Agreed!!! House of Cards is absolutely amazing!!

• Tania on February 21st, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Yes, watch it! If you love the first season, then the second season will blow your mind.

• Maralyn Woods on February 21st, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Yes, definitely check out House of Cards but pace yourself. I watched the whole first season in one weekend, couldn’t stop. Then had to wait for season 2. Now I’ve promised myself (after watching the first 3 episodes back-to-back) to only watch one a week. Also while you’re on Netflix check out WHITE COLLAR. I love it. Again, pace yourself if you can.

• Alison on February 21st, 2014 at 5:09 pm

YES! Watch House of Cards – it is so well done. Kevin Spacey sucks you in.

4. Pieliekamais on February 21, 2014 at 3:14 am

I love seeing your two golden guys every Friday – always makes me smile and go awww, and then immediately “HONEY you have to come look at this”.
    I tried your “dirt” recipe and wrote about it today (in Latvian though), but maybe you’d get a kick out of seeing how I made the “worm” eat a hole in a strawberry :D.

5. Lesley on February 21, 2014 at 3:17 am

Procrastinator – I am all 12! Ask my husband!

House of Cards suggest you watch the BBC Version first (I am British, so probably biased, but so much darker) Either way the BBC version is a must – even US reviews say so.

6. Taylee @ twist me fit on February 21, 2014 at 5:30 am

I’m not sure if the sun still exists in PA after this winter! Happy Friday!

7. christian roxanne on February 21, 2014 at 6:06 am

I love House of Cards! It’s awesome :-) you should definitely give it a try!

8. Marie @ Little Kitchie on February 21, 2014 at 6:28 am

That procrastinator list is hilarious! I’ve been debating whether or not to start watching House of Cards also… I’m a little scared of getting too sucked in and not getting anything done! (again, procrastinating…:))

9. Eugenia on February 21, 2014 at 6:50 am

Love the contrast between the snow and the sun! If you like Homeland, I cannot recommend House of Cards highly enough. Completely different shows, but both are political television- and HoC is so well written, superbly acted. It sucks you in, but you won’t regret watching more than one episode at once :)

10. Judy on February 21, 2014 at 7:35 am

Very excited about The Americans coming back. We love it. I’ve watched all of the House of Cards episodes. I’m very dedicated. It’s warped and juicy, like a really evil soap opera. I imagine the wheeling and dealing is very much how our government would work, if it actually worked.

11. Sonya on February 21, 2014 at 7:52 am

I’m excited about The Americans, too. I also love Boardwalk Empire and haven’t gotten to watching Homeland … yet. Very excited to get the DVDs through Netflix. I would recommend House of Cards. Very interesting.

• Michelle on February 21st, 2014 at 2:54 pm

You will LOOOOVE Homeland!

12. nancy k on February 21, 2014 at 8:07 am

Happy to hear you are safely home and snug in your own home. I so agree about the shower situation. I love seeing the pup photos. Duke is getting so big and Enstein…so handsome and curly. It is interesting how different their coats are. Does Einstein have to worry about “the frizzys” when the weather gets hot and humid??

• Michelle on February 21st, 2014 at 1:37 pm

Haha, no frizzies when it’s humid, only when he goes out in the rain, then he comes back all curly and frizzy :)

13. Kristina on February 21, 2014 at 8:19 am

Ha ha! I’m a Cleaner and List Maker too! I just about spit out my coffee when I read the Sidetracker – that is my 13 year-old son to a “T”.

14. Diane on February 21, 2014 at 9:18 am

I was afraid that perhaps you hadn’t posted a picture of your doggies this week.

Happy to see Einstein and Duke at the end.

15. AndreaL on February 21, 2014 at 9:22 am

Glad your got home safely. I feel that way about getting home too but more so just to crash into my bed.
    House of Cards is great. I’ve always loved Kevin Spacey. Robin Wright does a good job also. I agree with Judy – it really makes you wonder what else goes on behind closed doors in government.

16. Lynn on February 21, 2014 at 9:56 am

I love reading your blog every week….you always have such entertaining stories to share. I especially like the procrastinators list….I think I can relate to ALL of them in some little way! Lol! Glad you made it home safely & I’m sure Einstein & Duke are happy, as well. Happy Friday! :)

17. Julie H on February 21, 2014 at 10:49 am

Hope the pups have gotten over their “incarceration”. :) So adorable.

House of Cards!!! YES!!! SO good. I got sucked in last week and watched 5 eps in one night. After the first couple I was sort of meh on it but am not completely addicted. Defintely watch.

18. Michael R. on February 21, 2014 at 11:10 am

Sigh………..
    Palm trees definitely better to look at than Salt Lake valley brown/cement.

19. Monica on February 21, 2014 at 12:33 pm

I live in Kenya & I can’t get over how amazing HoC is! Condolences on your loss.

20. Auntiepatch on February 21, 2014 at 1:32 pm

So, were the “Boys” glad to see you??? They are so cute!

• Michelle on February 21st, 2014 at 2:55 pm

They were! They got a good report card, too :)

21. monica on February 21, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I keep going back to the palm tree photo.. I am in Toronto, snow and more snow. Love your pups!!

22. Judie on February 21, 2014 at 3:10 pm

If you haven’t seen this YouTube of Subaru commercials with the Barkley Family (Goldens) it’s a must see. Several very funny commercials starring Golden Retrievers. http://www.youtube.com/embed/Pjl2R_XZ4bo

• Michelle on February 21st, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Oh those are awesome!! I had seen the one with the poodle, but none of the others. Thanks so much for the link, loved them! :)

23. Karla on February 21, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Glad you arrived home safely. Just wondering what that thing glowing in the field is in your sunrise photo?

• Michelle on February 21st, 2014 at 5:40 pm

I never noticed it in the picture until you mentioned it! I have no idea what it is, maybe a reflection of some sort?

24. Annamaria @ Bakewell Junction on February 21, 2014 at 9:54 pm

Michelle,
    I’ve been on snowy road trips and it’s not fun. In the blizzard of 1993, the hubby and I got stuck for two days in Bethlehem, PA while we were driving back from Cincinnati, OH. Luckily we got to a hotel. Glad you’re home safe and sound. I’m sure the puppies are too.
    Annamaria

25. annie on February 21, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Welcome back, Michelle. I’m looking at your pups and can’t tell who’s who, Duke’s as big as Einstein! I’m sure everyone’s glad to be home.

26. Charlotte on February 22, 2014 at 10:37 am

Sorry for your loss. That explains your Florida trips to the east coast. Some time you need to come check out our west/Gulf coast. I suggest the Sarasota area for beaches and restaurants. My Tampa area has lots of good restaurants and many with a Latin touch. The Columbia is good and pretty but also where the tourist go. Many little hoe in the wall places. Need to also check out The Refinery and Rooster an the Till. They are willing many awards. I have done the opposite, going from Florida to Pittsburgh for funerals in the winter. I have seen too much of Beinhauer’s and Mt. Lebanon Cemetery. My father was raised in Beechview and Dormont and then my father’s relatives moved to Mt. Lebanon. Used to have to go to Pittsburgh every summer. Loved Isaly’s and the streetcars.

27. Mallory @ Because I Like Chocolate on February 22, 2014 at 1:20 pm

Oh these hockey games have been the best! Nothing makes me happier than to see Canada beat the US (except maybe Finland beating them 5-0). Sorry…Well not really, I am Canadian after all.

• Jess on February 23rd, 2014 at 10:55 am

Tip of the cap to America’s hat!

28. Star on February 22, 2014 at 4:11 pm

I love the THIS view to THIS view pictures – was a stark contrast! And both images are breathtaking to me. Thanks so much for sharing.
    That procrastinators guide is hilarious. Hilarious!

29. Stefanie @ Voice a Dream on February 22, 2014 at 10:01 pm

The Procrastinator infographic was a pleasant surprise, especially while I was admiring the serendipity of your sunset photo and the “Grandma’s place is where cousins get to become best friends” aww. By the way the description of the different procrastinators were spot on haha! I am the cleaner, list maker, and internet researcher. Thanks for sharing. – Stefanie at Voice A Dream

30. Trang on February 22, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I highly rec the following and scandal on netflix. Just got into house of cards so can’t say yet…

31. Lily (A Rhubarb Rhapsody) on February 22, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Oh dear, I think I fit the bill for every single one of those procrastinator types. I’m well practiced at it!

I watched the first few episodes of House of Cards but then got sidetracked. Everyone keeps talking about how amazing season 2 is, so I really do need to get back into it!

32. Aqiyl Aniys on February 25, 2014 at 12:45 pm

My condolences to your CCC. It is so nice to be able to get out of the cold weather into warm weather in relatively a short period of time. I guess it is time to visit my parents in Florida.

33. Amy on February 25, 2014 at 7:29 pm

There is nothing better than getting back from holidays and using your own shower – I just wish I could get someone to pick up my towels and clean the bathroom for me like they do in the hotel :)
    Procrastination is a recognised genetic condition in our family – in other words: I got it from my mama. Also, I fit into the three categories you do. The boyfriend is definitely a combination of the gamer, the watcher, and the internet researcher. I’ll have to forward this onto him!
    Thanks for sharing that beautiful sunrise too. Glad you are back home safe!

34. Laura Dembowski on March 2, 2014 at 8:44 am

Florida looks so nice! This winter needs to end asap! So excited The Americans is back. That is some great TV.