Friday Things

Einstein stylin'

1. Einstein looks like he’s dressed up for Halloween as a fighter pilot, doesn’t he? Poor guy has a nasty ear hematoma (i.e. broken blood vessel in his ear that’s filled with blood and fluid) and they are trying some laser treatments in an effort to avoid surgery. I feel so bad for him :( ¬†However, as you can see, he wasn’t the least bit phased by the treatment; he wagged his tail the entire time! He’s such a good sport.

Here he was as we were waiting to check out; the receptionist asked if she could take his picture from the other side of the counter because he looked so cute ;-)

I'm here! Give me a treat!

He loooooves the vet!

2. I’ve always had a bit of a hard time walking Einstein… He loves walks, but he’s easily distracted and will pull and jerk if he smells something or sees something interesting. I thought he dislocated my shoulder once when he was less than a year old! My Chief Culinary Consultant has been working with Duke and Einstein on walking together over the last few weeks, and on Monday, I did the impossible. I walked both dogs… together… by myself. No one ran away or got run over by a car, all of my joints remained in tact and I stayed upright the entire time. It’s so nice to walk them both together! They look so cute sashaying side by side :)

3. Thank you to everyone who left me jeans recommendations a few weeks ago. I went to the mall and tried on a bunch of different pairs, and the Gap curvy fit was perfect for me. I love them!

4. I’ve been a member of Stitch Fix for almost a year now, and my Chief Culinary Consultant knows how much I love getting my “fixes” each month. For my birthday last week, he got me a year of VIP Elite membership at Shoedazzle! I had never even heard of Shoedazzle before! It’s a little bit like Stitch Fix in that you fill out a style profile (geared towards shoes) and then on the 1st of each month, you get an email with a link to your personalized “showroom” with all of the shoes that a stylist has selected for you based on your preferences. You can buy any of them at a discount (and the VIP payment goes towards purchases), or browse for other styles. Returns are also free, so you can still do the whole try them on at home thing. THIS.IS.AWESOME. I am just as challenged at buying “out of the box” shoes as I am at clothes, so this is a perfect way for me to amp up my shoe wardrobe. Such an awesome present, my CCC is the best :)

I received my first shipment yesterday, and I selected these two pairs of shoes:

shoes

My summer shoe selection is looking better already!

5. Have you taken this Buzzfeed quiz yet? If you were ever a fan of Sex and the City, it’s a must! I got Smith Jerrod. (Yes, I’m still on a Buzzfeed quiz kick, which might have something to do with my need for #7 below…)

6. I’m sloooooowly dipping my toe in the Google Plus water. If you hang out over there, be sure to add me to your circles! I’ll be sharing content just as I do on Facebook; since the new Facebook algorithms are blocking a lot of content from news feeds, this might give us a better opportunity to connect!

7. Love this 29 Ways to Stay Creative graphic… a good reminder for when I hit ruts:

29 Ways to Stay Creative

8. Does anyone drink Bolthouse Farms juices? I keep looking at them at the grocery store, and wondering if they are worth trying? I try to do green smoothies, but sometimes I’m lazy and keeping a few bottles in the fridge for something quick to grab in the morning would be great. Are the juices fairly clear of added “junk”? I know the smoothies likely have a lot of added sugar, but wasn’t sure how clean the juices are.

9. I went to the eye doctor this week for the first time in maybe five years. I don’t wear glasses or contacts, but figured a general check-up would probably be a good idea. I got my vision tested (still better than 20/20!) and had an “eye health” exam; everything looked good *knock on wood*. I am 2-for-2 with the teeth and eyes this year!

10. TGIF! Hope you get to enjoy some play time this weekend!

Duke playing ball

28 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Pieliekamais on April 4, 2014 at 2:24 am

Aww, poor Einstein! I hope is ear is all better soon!

2. Ashley on April 4, 2014 at 5:53 am

My family loves bolthouse farm drinks when we are on the go and don’t have time to make our own smoothie. The vanilla chai latte one reminds me of a powdered sugar donut, I don’t know how they make it taste that way, but it is amazing. The other, more healthy options we have had from them are strawberry banana (our favorite), the mango and when someone is sick we get the vitamin c boost one. Our Kroger store has them buy one get one quite often, so keep an eye out for deals on them, as that is always a good time to try other flavors.

3. Kim on April 4, 2014 at 6:10 am

Shame man, your poor poochie! I hope he is on the mend and going to be ok? He is just such a darling. I wish I was there to give him a cuddle. Happy Friday to you!

4. Rachel @ Fairietale Designs on April 4, 2014 at 6:35 am

My kids love Bolthouse Farms’ Green Goodness. Looks like sludge to me, but that and the Berry Boost are often found in our fridge!

Yay for Gap jeans! My all time favorite pair (which I happen to be wearing right now) are so old I’ve had to creatively patch the knees so I can keep wearing them in public, because I refuse to give them up. :-)

Happy weekend!

5. Julie on April 4, 2014 at 6:44 am

I too am wearing my Curvy Gap jeans today, must be a Friday thing!! I love the Bolthouse drinks but get them at Costco – a much better deal.

6. Katie on April 4, 2014 at 7:27 am

That picture of Einstein on the counter at the vet is ridiculous. He is too adorable. You’re lucky – my dog is a terror at the vet. Hope he feels better soon. :(

7. Monicca on April 4, 2014 at 7:45 am

Awwww….poor Einstein. What a trooper he is at the vets. I too had a hard time walking my Golden. I’m also short, and really think He walked Me!!! One time I almost went flying across one of those concrete thingies in a parking lot…..and that was just when I was getting him out of the car!!!!! He started to take off as soon as his paws touched the ground. Talk about dislocating your shoulder….I know exactly what you mean. But, those are just memories now, because he’s been gone several years now and I miss him so much, therefore I enjoy your wonderfully funny stories of Einstein and Duke. They make my day start out with a smile. Happy Friday to you!!!!

8. cherie on April 4, 2014 at 7:47 am

so glad he wasn’t scared at the vet – too adorable.

You’re a goddess – I can barely handle one lab on a walk – two would kill me! Good for you

cute shoes!

9. Melanie @ Carmel Moments on April 4, 2014 at 8:00 am

I’ve been hearing so much about Stitch Fix and am thinking about giving it a try.
    I love the shoes you got. So pretty.
    Love the dogs. Have no idea how you handle those walks. My 18lb cockapoo gives me a hard pull especially when she sees other dogs.
    Have a great Friday!

10. Elizabeth Kociba on April 4, 2014 at 8:03 am

Loving the pics of Einstein!! Wanted to tell you, one of our Goldens, Jake, had a hematoma on his ear last year. It was awful looking and pretty tender for him. Luckily, the vet was able to just drain it once, and it went away. I guess it’s common for them to fill back up though. Has that happened with Einstein? I hope he’s able to avoid surgery, poor buddy. Have a great weekend! (Btw, been scouring your recipe index & can’t wait to make Italian Easter Pie and gyros!! But I haven’t found the basket cheese yet. Would you use ricotta if I’m unable to find it? Thanks! :))

• Michelle on April 7th, 2014 at 10:59 pm

Hi Elizabeth, I’m so happy to hear that Jake is doing better! Einstein has never had a hematoma before, this is the first time. Unfortunately, the laser treatments aren’t helping, so he’s going in to have it drained tomorrow. I think you could use ricotta, but the basket cheese doesn’t usually show up at the store until the week before Easter, so you might still find it!

11. luchetti on April 4, 2014 at 8:11 am

Poor Einstein, I hope he gets better, these dogs are so precious, He is such a good patient, enjoy him all you can, Before he goes blind, deaf and gray haired, You are so lucky to have good eyes, been wearing contacts since 2nd grade and in my late 50′s developed Ocular Rosacea no cure…be thankful I can no longer wear eye makeup. ENJOY THE WEEKEND

12. Elaine on April 4, 2014 at 9:45 am

Einstein is a dear and sweet soul…praying to St.Francis for his complete and rapid recovery. Hugs and love from afar.

13. Robin Christensen on April 4, 2014 at 9:58 am

Poor little Einstein! He was certainly stylin’ in those glasses, though! My sweet girl who died at 13-1/2 years old LOVED the vet, too! She was always a happy girl no matter where we went. She, too, had ear hemotomas – in BOTH ears. Einstein is lucky to have the technology of lasers – poor little Emma had to have them lanced and drained, then literally sewing down to keep it from reoccurring. I’ll say a little prayer or two for him that he has complete healing as I know it is no fun at all to have this! Love the picture of Duke with the ball – that is the true picture of happiness!

14. LC on April 4, 2014 at 10:36 am

The same thing happened to my corgi’s ear a few years ago. It weighed her ear down some much that after it healed, her ear stayed hanging down. So for the rest of her life she had one ear straight up in the air and the other one hanging down! Personally I found it cute:)

15. Elizabeth on April 4, 2014 at 10:45 am

I just read your post. I love seeing the pictures of your dogs! I know of a very quick, gentle, and easy way to keep your dog(s) from pulling. My dog (a lab) was a horrible puller – not anymore! You can purchase a Gentle Leader at your local pet store or online, although it is probably better to buy in store so your dog(s) can try it on (and a salesperson can help you). I believe the Gentle Leader also comes with instructions/video. I highly recommend this – it’s worth checking out!

16. Kim on April 4, 2014 at 10:51 am

As on optometrist, I want to applaud you for taking care of your eyes! Excellent vision is great but making sure the health of your eyes is great is equally as important.

17. Moss on April 4, 2014 at 11:03 am

Love seeing weekly pics of your pups. Totally relate on the walking issues! We have little ones and I still have a hard time walking them alone. No matter how much training we do, they love to walk in a serpentine pattern and must check out every bit of stimulation. Oh well, brings them total joy, so I just go with it. We’ll do most anything for our furry babies. :)

18. Lorrie on April 4, 2014 at 11:10 am

The Bolthouse Farms drinks are awesome! My favorite is the Chai-Tea flavor.

19. Marcia S. on April 4, 2014 at 1:07 pm

Einstein is such a good sport! He looked adorable in those glasses, I hope he’s getting better soon. How did your husband train the dogs to walk together nice? I have never been able to do that! I have to walk mine, one at a time. It would be great to walk them together!

• Michelle on April 7th, 2014 at 11:01 pm

Hi Marcia, We got these Easy Walk harnesses, which was a huge improvement to begin with. When he started walking them together, he positioned them side by side next to him and keeps them on fairly short leashes so they can’t run or wander at will. If either of them starts to pull ahead (more an issue with Duke than Einstein at this point), he gives a short, firm tug and says “heel”. It’s worked wonders! I can’t believe I can walk them together by myself!

20. annie on April 4, 2014 at 9:32 pm

Poor little Einstein, I hope he’ll be better soon, but he doesn’t seem to be acting too badly despite feeling poorly.

21. Margaret Smith on April 5, 2014 at 7:42 am

Just as a suggestion, I love your cupcake recipes so if you would put up more of those I’m bound to make them. And currently I have a cupcake order for a party so, please!

22. Jaclyn on April 6, 2014 at 1:54 am

I love those shoes, and your cute dogs of course :)!

23. Amy @ the anorexic chef on April 6, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I loved this post. I too have a golden retriever, his name is Wellington however he hates the vets even though he is a tad old and slow now! The 29 ways to stay creative also made me smile, I’ll keep rereading it throughout the week for inspiration. Hope you had a great weekend x x

24. jacquie on April 6, 2014 at 9:30 pm

I just wanted to second another commenter who suggested a gentle leader – I have used them in the past with my dogs both shepherds and goldens and the collars are absolutely wonderful. Yes they do take some getting used to for the dog but it so worth it. I walked two all the time with them. Much safer for both dog and human plus a very humane way to train.

25. Denise on April 7, 2014 at 1:28 am

The gentle leader is a must. We have a lab husky mix , she is a sweet heart on her walks when wearing it.

26. Laura Dembowski on April 9, 2014 at 8:43 am

Love that ways to stay creative list! I’m going to use some of those tips!