Friday Things

The Cone of Shame

1. Last week, Einstein was sporting some serious aviator goggles as he was having some laser treatments done on an ear hematoma. Unfortunately, the laser treatments didn’t work, so he needed to have a procedure on Tuesday to insert a drain in his ear. He was all done and ready to go home in an hour, but the drain has to stay in for three weeks, which means 21 days of the cone of shame. I feel so bad for him! He’s so easy going, he hasn’t tried to get it off, and lets me take it off, clean his ear and put it back on, but poor guy, he looks so pitiful!

2. Not only is it bad for Einstein, but poor Duke has lost his partner in crime. None of this for a few more weeks…

Tug of War

3. In other news, they started digging in our backyard yesterday to simultaneously correct the drainage issue we have, as well as build a new patio. There is currently a concrete slab/patio off of the kitchen area, which is big enough for a grill and our outdoor table and chairs, but we decided to do a big extension, complete with a built-in fire pit and sitting wall. We’re excited for all of the work to be done and enjoy some warm evenings outside!

4. So, Game of Thrones is back! Do you watch? I totally needed a refresher to remember what was going on, so many story lines! I can certainly count on that show to make me cover my eyes at least once an episode. Gah, gruesome! I keep watching in the hope that something terrible happens to Joffrey.

5. ThisĀ blog post in which someone’s 8-year-old daughter equates watching Full House re-runs to The History Channel is gold. I laughed so hard. And then I felt old. And then I wanted to binge watch Full House.

6. I could totally use a cleaning calendar like this, now if only I could stick to it! (via acreater)

Cleaning Calendar

7. I love this time of year, when I can watch the beginning of the baseball season simultaneously with the NHL playoffs. It’s definitely starting to feel like spring!

8. Oh my. THIS.

6th grade

9. For all of you fellow Golden Retriever lovers out there, have you seen this? A Golden Retriever festival in Scotland! Look at all those happy pups :)

10. TGIF! I hope you get to enjoy some sunshine!

Einstein sunbathing

43 Responses to “Friday Things”

1. Diane W. on April 11, 2014 at 12:16 am

I have a great reference for a hardscape who’s in Mars, PA, if you’re interested. They did a fantastic job on our patio, which has stairs, a seat wall all the way around, a built in fire pit, and a step down into another area. http://doudsbros.com/ I’d be happy to share pictures with you.

• Michelle on April 11th, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Hi Diane, Thanks so much for the recommendation! We did already hire a company and they’ve started the work, but I will definitely keep yours in mind if we need work in the future!

2. Amelie on April 11, 2014 at 1:57 am

There is a weird sign that says “A username and password are being requested by http://www.browneyedbaker.com. The site says: “Restricted” I don’t know what to do! What is the password? Could you make this sign go away? Thanks!

• Michelle on April 11th, 2014 at 8:48 am

Hi Amelie, That definitely should not be happening, there is no password necessary. I will check on it!

• Maxine on April 11th, 2014 at 9:17 am

I’m getting that message as well, weird!

3. Iris on April 11, 2014 at 2:00 am

Aww, poor Einstein. Feel better soon so you and Duke can hang out with each other again! And number eight is spot on… so thankful for that! Happy Friday!

4. Chris on April 11, 2014 at 5:37 am

I live in Scotland! But I am American.

5. Judy on April 11, 2014 at 6:48 am

Here’s a little something for your GoT fix.

6. Lie Rehrauer on April 11, 2014 at 8:52 am

What’s up? I get your email everyday. Now I go to your web sight and I have to log in without ever being asked to register. How am I supposed to make tuna noodle casserole tonight if I can’t get your recipe? Pleas help!

7. Maxine on April 11, 2014 at 9:18 am

Aww, poor Einstein! He seems like such a sweet dog, who isn’t troublesome in the least. I have cats and when they get that collar, they will not stand it for more than an hour. Einstein is so patient!

8. Rachel on April 11, 2014 at 9:55 am

Loving GoT!!! I also keep waiting for something awful to happen to Joffrey haha. Can’t wait for Sunday’s ep!

9. Kim Malarchick on April 11, 2014 at 9:58 am

My Sam sends love and licks to Einstein. Sammy just had a cancerous tumor removed last week, so he feels Einsteins pain. Prayers and puppy kisses to all and wishing Einstein a speedy recovery.

10. Robin Christensen on April 11, 2014 at 10:26 am

I am so sorry about Einstein’s ear. And I know Duke misses his partner in crime. My girl dog had to have the very same thing done to BOTH of her ears! It was miserable for her. I’ll be praying for him for a speedy recovery.
    I’m very excited for your patio! We are planning to have one when we build in a year or so – hopefully with a fire pit!
    Game of Thrones is a favorite of mine – I’ve read all the books, so I see what is coming, even though there have been some interesting twists on the screen version. Can’t wait for this Sunday! I think this coming episode will have a major game change! YAY! Probably another eye covering moment!

• Ashley on April 11th, 2014 at 11:05 am

Me too! I am hoping the Daenerys Stormborn makes her move into the kingdom soon. She is my favorite.

11. Ashley on April 11, 2014 at 11:02 am

I am hoping Aria becomes an assassin and kills off Joffrey off… I am still I’m shock from the Red Wedding…. :: cries ::

12. phoebe on April 11, 2014 at 11:06 am

Poor Einstein. My big pup had to wear a collar for almost two months once. You need to google the Comfy Cone. So much better (and more comfortable) than the “old style” ones. Makes for a happier pooch!!! Well wishes for a speedy recovery… but I bet there’s still a lot of tail wagging going on!

13. Julie H. on April 11, 2014 at 11:10 am

I too was getting the user name and password required last night when I was looking at your site from my mobile phone. But I would click cancel and it seemed to be ok after that, except it came up every time I went to a new page which got really annoying.

I haven’t read the Game of Thrones books, but I love the show and my fiance has read the books and assures me that something “really awesome” happens to Joffrey, so I am guessing he gets his in a big ol’ way. Can’t wait.

14. Robin on April 11, 2014 at 11:32 am

Try the pro collar for Einstein…They work and are very comfy!! There are also 2 other choices listed that I haven’t tried yet.

15. Sarah P on April 11, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I too love charts but have a hard time sticking to me. If you ever figure out a fool proof system, please share. On to Games of Throne, you haven’t read the books? You should they are so much better than the tv series. But I do love the tv series, too.

• Michelle on April 16th, 2014 at 12:35 pm

I haven’t read the books! I hadn’t heard about them until I was already watching the show.

16. joanne on April 11, 2014 at 12:32 pm

Hello Michelle. I too love goldens. I had my jasper for 10 years. Thankfully he never was sick. We did however loose him 2 years ago. Poor baby’s stomach flipped. They are the best dogs. He was soo good with my kids. I hope your baby feelsbetter soon.

17. Miss Jan on April 11, 2014 at 12:32 pm

There’s a wonderful spin on the “cone of shame” that helps k9 healing by preventing rubbing and scratching. Instead of unwieldy plastic it’s a soft fabric stuffed thick collar it’s called a “boobooloon”. I used one on my JRT who had hernia surgery. They also have ones that are inflatable. Check it out!

18. Denise P. on April 11, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Aww, poor Einstein. Hope he has a speedy recovery. My Golden gets hot spots in the summer and has to wear the cone to keep him from scratching. It is sad to see them wearing it but it’s for their own good.
    Love the Golden Retriever Festival. Mine would have a blast.
    I’m going to print out the cleaning list. Let’s hope I’m disciplined:)
    Thanks for sharing.

19. Rachel @ Fairietale Designs on April 11, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Hope Einstein feels better soon! I used to have a Lhasa Apso who needed the cone of shame for various issues pretty often. I always felt bad laughing at his antics, but also couldn’t help it.

Love the cleaning chart…there are a few things on there I always forget to do, so a reminder is always welcome!

Have a wonderful weekend.

20. Michelle on April 11, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Apologies for the pop-up login prompt that many of you experienced this morning. It seems there was an issue with one of the plug-ins that help to run the site, and the problem has been corrected. If you continue to see that message, please email me at: michelle@browneyedbaker.com. Thanks for your patience!

21. Linda on April 11, 2014 at 1:24 pm

Hope Einstein is better soon. Never had a lab but think they have to be the sweetest dogs I have ever seen.
    I love in an area of Texas and we have been in a drought for several years. We get our news from Amarillo and they might have some snow this weekend or Monday. They have not had much this year.

22. Auntiepatch on April 11, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Oh, no! Not. The. Cone. Of. Shame! Poor baby! Please give him a hug from me!

23. Steph in Lex on April 11, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Did you see Tom Hanks’s Full House slam poem he did on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon? It’s several months old and has made the rounds, but it never stops being funny. I seriously want to know how it is that John Stamos is actually hotter NOW than he was 20 years ago?

24. Annamaria @ Bakewell Junction on April 11, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Michelle,
    I feel so bad for Einstein. My puppy had to wear a cone for a long time last year when she blew out her ACL. She was able to get around the cone so I had to use two cones taped together. Not fun.
    Annamaria

25. Angie on April 12, 2014 at 2:14 am

I am so glad I’ve been keeping up in your posts about poor Eintein’s hematoma. I couldnt imagine what it was and what part of the ear it would’ve been in, until one of my Two Goldens, Madison, suddenly ended up with what felt like a 1 inch diameter “pin cushion” like feeling pouch in her left ear flap just last evening. My vet got her in at noon today & confirmed it was a hematoma. I shared your experience with her about laser, & agreed it might not be as helpful. She has me doing warm compresses on the hematoma for 5-10 min. X 10 times a day for a week,& if it doesn’t seem to get smaller, then surgery like Einstein’s is in line for my Madison. She will drain it, but will stitch ythe pocket up so it doesn’t refill, as this is a very common reoccurrence. So, I thank you for sharing your experience about Einstein’s hematoma with us. It just happened to be a coincidence that my 8 yr Golden, is now having to go through the same thing a week later! Please keep us posted as to Einstein’s progress. Give your boys a huge hug! They are adorable! I will do the same to my girls…Carly & Madison!

• Michelle on April 16th, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Hi Angie, I’m so sorry to hear about Madison’s hematoma, what a coincidence! Einstein has been such a trooper with the cone, two more weeks. I can’t wait until he can have it off and play and roll around like normal. Do your dogs play often? We’re still not sure if the hematoma was from Einstein rubbing his face on the ground (his morning routine) or if Duke nicked it during play.

26. Lisa on April 12, 2014 at 9:03 pm

First: you are my kinda gal. Not only are you a writer and baker, you love sports and dogs. And, you refer to the Elizabethan collar as the cone of shame. Yay, you!
    Hope your pooch feels better soon. And thanks for that boffo salted caramel sauce recipe, which i just made and am now contemplating eating for dinner. So glad i stumbled upon you on my search for caramel sauce recipes!

27. Jaclyn on April 12, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Oh my how I need a cleaning calendar – and the desire to clean more often :). I busted up laughing when I read that – when you are sad, just remember that you don’t look like you did in 6th grade! So funny!

28. Pieliekamais on April 13, 2014 at 4:39 am

Wishing a very speedy recovery for Einstein! hugs.

29. Rita on April 13, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Poor Einstein..I had a yellow lab that would get ear hematomas, as well. He had a drainage tube inserted several times, but got no relief and once wound up with an infection. I finally found a vet that advised me to just leave it alone and within a few weeks the body will re-absorb it. Sure enough, she was right. Good luck!

30. Lynne on April 14, 2014 at 8:45 am

I fail right out of the gate with that cleaning schedule – my mornings are filled with just getting me and the kids ready and out of the house on time, so no beds made, no decluttering. It looks like a good schedule if you don’t make dinner or have a job or a LIFE :-)

31. jyllzie on April 14, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Well???? Did you watch last night???

32. LUCHETTI on April 14, 2014 at 7:00 pm

THERE ARE SOME WEBSITES YOU MIGHT WANT TO ENTER PICTURE OF EINSTEIN AND DUKE IN THEY WILL WIN THEY ARE SO PHOTOGENIC THERE IS NOT CHARGE WILL EMAIL YOU WEBSITE

33. Jill T. on April 15, 2014 at 5:54 pm

Thanks for sharing the information about Einstein & his ear hematoma. I just discovered one on my Black Lab’s ear today, & knew right away what I’ll be dealing with at the vet tomorrow. :( Poor, Bella! Wish us luck!!

• Michelle on April 16th, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Aw, I’m so sorry! I hope that Bella’s heals quickly and without issue. Keep me posted!

• Jill T. on April 16th, 2014 at 8:22 pm

Thanks, Michelle! Bella had her ear check today, and since her hematoma is small so far, the vet said we’ll keep watch on it & hope it will heal on it’s own. She is an “allergy dog”, and probably got hers from shaking her ears back & forth since she’s so itchy right now. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for a non-surgery outcome, but with Bella that is probably wishful thinking! :). Thanks again for the information & updates on Einstein. Bella & I wish him happy healing!

34. Lucie on April 26, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Oh, poor Einstein! :( I hope he’ll be okay very soon and join Duke in play. He is very brave and patient!