Ice Cream Truffles

Red, White & Blue Ice Cream Truffles | browneyedbaker.com #4thofjuly #fourthofjuly

The 4th of July is only a couple of days away, and I couldn’t NOT throw out a little festive treat! I have seen some random ice cream truffle recipes over the years, and for some reason, they popped into my head over the weekend. I thought it would be the perfect vehicle for adding some red, white and blue flair for the holiday. (Does the word “flair” make anyone else think of Jennifer Aniston’s character in Office Space?)

To be honest, I thought that making ice cream truffles would be a complicated, messy affair.

They were nothing of the sort, and dare I say, they were even easier than making traditional truffles!

I simply scooped out some ice cream, made sure it was frozen solid, then melted together chocolate and vegetable shortening (this is a key ingredient – it keeps the melted chocolate from clumping when you coat the ice cream), dipped the balls of ice cream, sprinkled some sprinkles, froze again, and voila! Bite-size ice cream treats perfect for a hot summer day.

I went the festive route, but you could totally customize these however you’d like – use any flavor ice cream, any type of chocolate (white, milk, dark, semisweet), any toppings (other sprinkles, chopped nuts, etc.)… the possibilities are absolutely endless. These would also be perfect to keep in the freezer if you have kids and want to satisfy their sweet tooth and need for ice cream without a big bowl. Great for taking a break from playing outside!

Are you making any red, white and blue treats for Friday?

One year ago: Flag Cake (From Scratch!)
Two years ago: Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Meringue Buttercream
Four years ago: Taco Dip
Five years ago: Roasted Shrimp and Orzo and Red, White & Blue Stained Glass Jello Stars

Ice Cream Truffles

Yield: 2 dozen truffles

Prep Time: 2 hours

Total Time: 2 hours

Easy ice cream truffles with a festive spin for the 4th of July.

Ingredients:

½ pint vanilla ice cream
10 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
4½ teaspoons vegetable shortening (or vegetable oil)
Sprinkles

Directions:

1. Line two large plates with parchment paper; set aside.

2. Using a small cookie scoop (or tablespoon), scoop the ice cream into balls and place on prepared plates. Freeze for at least 1 hour.

3. Place the chopped chocolate and the vegetable shortening in a medium bowl and microwave on 50% power in 30-second increments until completely smooth and melted.

4. Remove one plate of truffles from the freezer and, using two spoons, dip each ball into the melted chocolate, turning to completely coat. Return to the parchment-lined plate and top with sprinkles. Return to the freezer and repeat with the other plate of truffles. Freeze for at least 1 hour before serving. Once completely frozen, the truffles can be placed in a resealable freezer bag for up to 1 month.

33 Responses to “Ice Cream Truffles”

1. Debbie on July 2, 2014 at 12:10 am

Looks amazing! What type of vegetable shortening do you use?

• Michelle on July 2nd, 2014 at 9:53 am

Hi Debbie, Just regular Crisco shortening.

2. Diane W. on July 2, 2014 at 12:15 am

I have red and blue velvet cupcakes ready to go for Friday…but I’m more looking forward to making a Burnt Almond Torte trifle! I’ve been jonesing to try it for a long time but I need a crowd to eat it or I’m afraid I’ll eat the whole thing!

3. Ari on July 2, 2014 at 1:08 am

I’ve always wanted to make ice cream truffles, I never realized how easy they were!
    I love how festive they are too, really cute!

4. Reshana on July 2, 2014 at 6:37 am

Sooo easy :) and they looks too cute. I love mini things especially when its dessert…even better ;-)

5. Lauren at Keep It Sweet on July 2, 2014 at 7:05 am

Good to know that these weren’t as messy as I’d also imagine. I love the idea of ice cream truffles to just pull out of the freezer for a little treat!

6. Tom @ Raise Your Garden on July 2, 2014 at 7:21 am

I finally had what we were going to bring the 4th figured out, now you changed my mind! I guess I can’t complain because the complements are going to be flowing with those truffles. I’ll make sure I give you credit. :)

7. Mir on July 2, 2014 at 7:45 am

Wow, these are gorgeous! Love the idea! They honestly look perfect!

8. Chelsey on July 2, 2014 at 10:50 am

What a great idea! Thank you!

9. Heather on July 2, 2014 at 10:54 am

I always think of Office Space whenever I hear the word “flare” :) Thanks for the great recipe! Looking forward to trying it.

10. Kelly on July 2, 2014 at 11:02 am

I think I’m going to make batches of these throughout the year and keep them in my freezer for those moments when I need something sweet! I guess the key will be not to eat them all the first day!

11. Jessica @ A Kitchen Addiction on July 2, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Love how fun and easy these truffles are!

12. Maxine on July 2, 2014 at 2:43 pm

These look so delicious and seemingly easy to make…and the endless combinations! I have a probably no-brainer question: should the melted chocolate be cooled before dipping the ice-cream? It didn’t mention it in the recipe…Thank you!

• Michelle on July 2nd, 2014 at 9:01 pm

Hi Maxine, No, it doesn’t not need to be cooled before dipping. Enjoy!

13. marcie on July 2, 2014 at 3:20 pm

These are so fun and festive, and nothing is better than ice cream on a hot day! I love this idea. :)

14. Jeanne on July 2, 2014 at 4:39 pm

These are so cute! If I wanted to use melting chocolate to cover them (so I can use different colors) would I still melt it with the shortening? Thanks!

• Michelle on July 2nd, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Hi Jeanne, No, I don’t think you would need the shortening if you use candy melts (which is what I think you are referring to?).

15. Angelyn @ Everyday Desserts on July 2, 2014 at 4:56 pm

I love traditional truffles so I’m super intrigued by this ice cream version. Looks amazing!!

16. pearse on July 2, 2014 at 4:57 pm

can wilton candy coating used for dipping cake pops be used here? thanks

• Michelle on July 2nd, 2014 at 9:07 pm

Hi Pearse, Yes, I think that would be fine.

17. Mary Frances on July 2, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Adorable!

18. maria on July 2, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Same question, Can I use the wilton candy melts AND can it be used even f it’s hot?? Worried about melted ice cream in the candy melt bowl???
    Thanks!!

• Michelle on July 2nd, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Hi Maria, Yes, I think candy melts would be fine. Yes, you don’t need to cool the melts. I dipped the truffles immediately after removing the chocolate from the microwave and didn’t have an issue at all. You just want to work quickly so the non-coated ice cream balls don’t start to melt before you can coat them.

19. Heather @ Sarap Life on July 2, 2014 at 6:23 pm

Wow, I’ll have to try these! I thought the idea of ice cream truffles would be difficult like you said, but you pulled it off well! Love the festive touch of sprinkles :)

20. Mrs. Leal from CookingHat on July 3, 2014 at 9:55 am

Hello Michelle,
    That looks really good!
    I’m working on a blog post about my favorite recipe ideas found online for my cooking blog and I would like use the second photo on this blog post. How do I go about getting the right to use it. I will be linking your recipe on my list.
    Thank you!

• Michelle on July 3rd, 2014 at 11:02 pm

Hi there! If you just want to use the photo and link back to the recipe, you can do that, just credit Brown Eyed Baker. Thanks for sharing! :)

21. Laura Dembowski on July 4, 2014 at 10:01 pm

These are not only perfect for the Fourth, but also perfect for a treat any hot summer day.

22. Erin @ The Spiffy Cookie on July 4, 2014 at 10:50 pm

Ahhh ice cream in bite sized chocolate covered form!? Dangerously poppable

23. Avanika {Yumsilicious Bakes| on July 6, 2014 at 8:00 am

Bite sized ice cream covered in chocolate? Yes please! These would never work here in India because of the heat, but a girl can dream

24. Kathy Rupff on July 8, 2014 at 9:09 am

Hi Michelle, I made these using vanilla candy melts I had on hand and peach ice cream. Wow! I felt like a culinary genius! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe… so easy and delicious! My husband is loving them. I look forward to trying chocolate next time. Thanks again for your wonderful blog. I LOVE your photographs!! I posted a photo of MY truffles with a link to your recipe on my blog. :)

25. bizzie = ) on July 21, 2014 at 5:50 pm

This ice cream truffle thing is awesome. I am about to make it. But could you tell me this- can vegetable oil be replaced with grapeseed oil or will I have to go to the supermarket?

• bizzie = ) on July 21st, 2014 at 6:26 pm

Never mind I went to the supermarket