Beef and Cheddar Dog Biscuits
Yield: About 24 four-inch biscuits
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup unsalted butter (about 5 and 1/3 tablespoons), cut into pieces
1 cup boiling water
¾ cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
½ cup milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 egg, beaten
3 cups whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, pour the boiling water over the oats and butter. Stir briefly and let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Add the cornmeal, sugar, beef bouillon, milk, cheese, and egg to the bowl; mix well. Stir in the whole wheat flour, one cup at a time, until a stiff dough as formed.
4. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead, adding additional flour if necessary, until the dough is smooth and no longer sticky.
5. Divide the dough in half. Working with one half at a time, roll the dough out with a rolling pin to ½-inch thickness. Cut with a cookie cutter and space evenly on the prepared baking sheets. Re-roll the remaining dough scraps and continue cutting until all the dough as been used.
6. Bake 35-45 minutes, until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
(Recipe adapted from Pennies on a Platter)