Better-than-Brownies Chocolate Cookies
The title essentially says it all. Having trouble deciding between making cookies or making brownies? Your problem is now solved – bake these beauties up and you get the best of both worlds. This is yet another installment of cookies I made as a result of the Top 10 list you all helped me create. I have loved trying new cookie recipes each week, and with this being the next to last recipe (next week is ginger cookies!), I’m going to have to come up with another food genre to get input on. Any ideas? Maybe favorite recipes with summer fruits, ice cream flavors, ethnic dish or something like that? Feel free to throw out some suggestions.
Now we must get back to talking about these cookies. They are not for the faint of heart, and if you are only a fair-weather chocolate fan, these will either fully convert you or may be too much for you. Since I am an all-chocolate-all-the-time chocolate fan, it goes without saying that these cookies razzled and dazzled me to the point of wanting to hide them from others. I didn’t really hide them, but I was tempted. Actually, it wouldn’t hurt to stash a few of these in the freezer for when chocolate hunger pangs strike. A quick turn in the microwave and you will be beyond satisfied.
I tried to determine if I really think these cookies are better than brownies. That, of course, required serious research. Research, in this case, would be defined as taste testing. And the result is – I just can’t choose. These cookies are rich, delicious and are like a jolt of espresso for your taste buds. But brownies, oh brownies. In all of their dense, fudgy glory and endless variations… they just can’t be replaced. So, be prepared to make these, love them, and then alternate between them and your favorite brownie when you can’t decide if you want a cookie or brownie.
I’m normally not a cookie dunker, but these were absolutely superb dunked in a glass of cold milk. So pour yourself a tall glass and enjoy! (And then come back and let me know if you think these really are better than brownies!)
16 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1⅓ cups granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Put the chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl and set it over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring occasionally, until completely melted and smooth.
3. In the meantime, stir together the eggs, vanilla and sugar in a medium bowl. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, sift together the flour and baking powder.
5. Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and stir to combine well. Slowly add the dry ingredients, folding them into the batter. Once all of the flour is incorporated, stir in the chocolate chips.
6. Scoop 1½ tablespoons of dough (a medium cookie scoop's worth) onto prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until they are firm on the outside. Like brownies, do not overbake! Leave to cool completely on the baking sheets.