These scones were one of my first baking projects and have turned into one of my family’s favorite treats. These are honestly one of the simplest and quickest baking recipes that I have in my arsenal. One bowl, no appliances, and a quick 20 minute bake time make these a great recipe to keep in your back pocket for when you find out company is coming at the last moment or you need something fast to whip up for breakfast for house guests. The scones have a very tender texture that make them almost melt in your mouth. Paired with a slight crunch on the outside from the sugar and the sweet chocolate chips, these are guaranteed to please the harshest of critics.
Scones make up some of my favorite recipes because they can serve so many purposes: breakfast, snack, dessert – you name the time, and a scone can almost always fit the bill. They can be sweet or savory and are quick to throw together; no need for lots of mixing bowls, appliances or long baking times. If you’re looking for some recipe ideas, check out the ones below!
Don’t miss a recipe! Subscribe to the Brown Eyed Baker RSS feed!
Dark Chocolate Chip Scones
Yield: 24 scones
3¼ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup sugar
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups (12-oz) package dark chocolate chips
2 cups chilled heavy cream
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease two baking sheets.
2. Stir together flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Stir in chocolate chips.
3. Stir whipping cream into flour mixture, stirring just until ingredients are moistened.
4. Turn mixture out onto lightly floured surface. Knead gently until soft dough forms (about 2 minutes). Divide dough into three equal balls. One ball at a time, flatten into 7-inch circle; cut into 8 triangles. Transfer triangles to prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with additional sugar.
5. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar, if desired.
(Adapted from Hershey’s)