Friday Things

delallo-kitchen

1. Earlier this week, I had the opportunity to hang out at the DeLallo store and test kitchen along with Jessica from How Sweet It Is. My family has been frequenting that Italian market since the 1950’s, back when it was just a little market, before it became a national brand. I’m a huge fan of their products and was thrilled to be able to play around there (I whipped up some easy tiramisu!), learn more about the family, the background of the company and where they’re headed. I’ll be telling you more about my visit there this weekend, but in the meantime, as you can see from the photo above, I was in serious love with their kitchen space. I may have asked more than once if I could move in.

2. Most of you know that I am a huge sports fan, so I was totally sucked into the two major sports stories over the last 10 days: (1) Manti Te’o, which, I just have no words. It might be one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever read. And (2) Lance Armstrong. Did any of you watch his interview with Oprah? I thought it was completely riveting. One of the best interviews I’ve watched in a long, long time.

3. The #1 sign that Pittsburgh had an incredibly mild winter last year: I got my current vehicle in March 2011 and just yesterday had to refill the washer fluid. Some winters I go through at least 2 or 3 bottles! Good news, more snow is on the way today. I am assuming my cozy position.

4. Now that my Chief Culinary Consultant and I are both caught up on Homeland and lamenting the fact that it won’t be back on until September, we’ve been poking around for a new series to start watching from the beginning. We haven’t seen 24, so that’s a contender. I’ve seen tons of people talk about Downton Abbey, but it appears to be more of a “girly” show… thoughts? Any other series you would recommend starting from the beginning that would appeal to both sexes?

5. Last Friday, I came across three separate blogs that were talking about juicing. As in, fruit and vegetable juicing, not steroids. Just making sure we’re clear. I’m not sure if it was International Juice Day or if it was the universe trying to tell me that I am severely lacking in my fruit and vegetable intake. Either way, I was intrigued. I asked folks on Facebook if anyone did this on a regular basis and what their experiences were. I received some pretty positive feedback, so now I’m intrigued even more. Do any of you “juice”? What do you make? How often do you drink it?

6. Did you hear? New Kids on the Block, 98 Degrees and Boyz II Men are touring together.

New Kids on the Block

New Kids on the Block were my first celebrity crushes in grade school. My very first concert. Their faces were plastered over everything I owned: lunch boxes, Trapper Keepers (ah! Trapper Keepers!), buttons, notebooks, sleeping bags… you name it, my sister and I had it. Boyz II Men soothed my hopeful, fragile, junior high heart. If I had a dollar for every time I played End of the Road, I’ll Make Love to You (so not age appropriate) and On Bended Knee on repeat I’d be rich. And 98 Degrees… by the time they came along I was in college and pretty much past the boy band stage, but I admit to having downloaded some of their songs on Napster (I’m totally dating myself).

When the tour was announced and Pittsburgh was on the list of cities, I emailed my best friend and said, “I sort of feel like we need to go to this.” She agreed. We’ll be there with bells on. For old time’s sake, of course.

7. One of my goals for this year is to master sourdough bread. The thing is, I have no idea where to start. Well, I know I need to start with a starter! I know you can make one, purchase one, etc. For those of you who are sourdough masters, what do you recommend?

8. Last weekend, Kristen from Dine and Dish shared a new time management app that she recently started using: the 30/30 App by Binary Hammer. If you fall victim to the vicious cycle of working hard but not being nearly as productive as you should be (I’m looking straight in the mirror), you might want to check out this app. You can assign different folders, which can house different groups of tasks. Then create tasks, assign a specific amount of time, and the app will let you know when your time is up. I’ve started playing around with it a little bit and plan to put it to work next week, but it looks very promising for helping to stay focused and not getting constantly lost in Twitter, Pinterest or whatever your evil time-suck may be (where did those last 2 hours go?!). If you’ve used it, I’d love to hear how it works for you!

9. Yesterday while I was working, I switched on Pandora for the first time in a long, long time. Usually in the car I listen to satellite radio and at home I listen to a lot of sports talk. I liked the change of pace and playing around with different custom stations. Do you have any favorite Pandora stations, or ones you have created?

10. TGIF! I hope you encounter nothing but calm water and lots of sunshine!

Beautiful weekend

129 Responses to “Friday Things”

Comment Pages 1 2
  1. zina on January 27, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Justified on FX…Timothy Olifant can’t miss for anything, my dad and I email back and forth after it’s been on…It’s really the only show I go out of my way to watch. Did see the first season of Downton Abbey..see can’t spell it, and have great respect for the writer Julian Fellows.

2. shonda on January 27, 2013 at 7:43 pm

Juicing is a must!!! The Hubby and I have been juicing now for a little over a year, best investment ever=] We bought an inexpensive one at Kohls just to try it, its still going strong a year later. We’ve considered investing in a more expensive one since we got so into it, but we will wait until this one dies! Yes clean up in a royal pain, however, there are worse things you could be doing! Since we started our “morning ritual” over a year now niether of us have gotten sick AT ALL!! and I’m a nanny, the kids are sick everyother week! but not me=] from start to finish I’d say it takes roughly 20 minutes! pure vitamins, doesnt get much better.. I could go on forever about how amazing it is. In the long run of juicing being expensive; I’d say buying vitamins(forgetting to take them), getting sick(possibley needing a doctor visit) is going to be way more expensive than juicing.

we’ve found that the tastiest juice is a little of the following:

Kale, a few leafs (lacinto juices best)
    Chard, usually one leaf (we like Rainbow, dont think that matters)
    spinach, couple hand fulls
    cucumber, 1/3-1/2 (more or a filler, produces LOTS of juice)
    tomato,1
    carrots,1-2
    apple, 1
    orange, 1 (you dont have to peel it, however the peel makes it very bitter)

you can use so much more, celery is a good one(produces lots of juice) but one little stalk makes the whole juice taste like celery.

hope this was helpful, happy juicing

• Michelle on January 28th, 2013 at 11:23 pm

Hi Shonda, Thanks so much for sharing! Super helpful! :)

3. na on January 27, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Oh no, Downton Abbey is not girly. My husband, who won’t watch almost anything, watched it with me. :)

4. megan on January 28, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I am so jealous you met Jessica!! Are you going to post pics and share a post?

5. Terri on January 28, 2013 at 8:56 pm

1) I would love to know what brand cooktops they use in that test kitchen!! We are getting ready to purchase and I would love to know what the pros use!
    2) my hubby and I both love Downton Abbey and would highly recommend News Room and if you haven’t seen the Tudors I would check that out
    3) I took a sourdough class that I loved (in SF as I live in the Bay Area) . A starter is a commitment but I have restarted several times when I have forgotten to feed it. The base was a 1:5 ratio flour to water. That’s it. I think it was 25 grams water to 125 grams flour. I used a very light whole wheat. The starter gets more sour as you go and we bake the bread with absolutely no yeast as the yeast is a natural product of the starter. If I can find my notes I will email them. The site is Sour Flour and they would gladly answer any questions you have. The guys there were awesome!

6. Liz on January 29, 2013 at 11:46 am

As others have said, give Downton a shot. And I see someone else posted it, too, but Foyle’s War is AWESOME.

If you’re a Parks & Rec fan, try Party Down. It was on Netflix, but may have disappeared.

7. Mia on January 29, 2013 at 5:52 pm

1. That test kitchen looks AMAZING! Can I move in there?
    2. At my aunt’s house over the weekend, 3 different relatives showed pics on their phones of juices they’ve recently made. I didn’t even know that was a “cool” thing. Then my mom told me she’d bought me a juicer but keeps forgetting to bring it to me. So, guess I’ll be juicing soon, too. I look forward to hearing what you make, if anything.
    3. Pandora. If you’re going to this concert, I think you need to make a NKOTB/98 degrees/Boyz II Men station immediately. Refresh yourself on the words to all your favorite songs, so you can loudly sing along at the concert. Just sayin.

8. manizor on January 30, 2013 at 12:08 am

love your blog! HAD to comment today — we recently finished watching all seasons of Friday Night Lights – AWESOME SHOW! i highly recommend it! 24 is great, so is Lost, and Parenthood. Enjoy! Always fun to get into a new series!

Comment Pages 1 2