1. Duke hit a milestone this week – he turned 6 months old on Monday! I can’t believe how much he’s grown – he looks like a little man now!
2. How did you ring in the new year? My Chief Culinary Consultant and I enjoy staying in and relaxing at home, so I whipped up a couple of dishes for dinner, we had my mom over, watched Skyfall, and then watched the ball drop. We clinked some glasses of champagne, then downed some chocolate cake. I can’t think of a better way to kick off a new year!
3. One of my goals for this year is to get more creative about my photography outside of the kitchen. I take so many pictures of food, but the rest of my photography has really fallen off. I’m hoping to jumpstart my general photography habit again, and am using some monthly photo challenges as a guide. Here is one for January if you’d like to follow along:
4. Within the last two weeks, I have made THREE batches of homemade Chex Mix. I hadn’t made it before, but started seeing some folks talking about it on social media, so I whipped up a batch. It disappeared in what seemed like seconds. Everyone loved it; no wonder, it’s totally addicting stuff!
5. A friend of mine is overhauling her photography equipment and has a ton of stuff for sale on eBay right now. It’s all gently used and in great condition. If you’re looking for some camera equipment at a discount, definitely check it out!
6. While I think everyone is totally over holiday baking and eating, I wanted to recap the recipes that I made during the month of December (I will, without a doubt, forget all of this within another week!).
My cookie trays were made up of Buckeyes, Peppermint Bark, Peanut Butter Blossoms, Snowball Cookies, Zia Lena’s Date Bar Cookies, Mini Cheesecake Cookies, Classic Thumbprint Cookies, Italian Sesame Seed Cookies, Decker Cake, Italian Walnut Pillow Cookies and Reindeer Chow. On Christmas Eve, I made Tiramisu for dessert and we sipped White Chocolate Steamers while we opened presents. I baked up Ho Ho Cake for a Christmas Day dessert. Dinner on New Year’s Eve was Sesame Chicken and Cajun Shrimp Mac and Cheese (yep, two, why not?!). Finally, I served up a veggie pizza appetizer to much on New Year’s Day while we watched the Winter Classic and waited for the pulled pork to finish up in the slow cooker.
What did you make over the holidays?!
7. Speaking of eating, I was doing a fabulous job with my clean eating habits up until the weekend before Christmas. In the three weeks prior, I had managed to lose six pounds and was feeling great. Then the holidays came, and although I tried not to indulge too much, I’m still left feeling pretty crappy. The good news is that I’m actually craving fruits and vegetables. I never thought that day would ever come 😉
8. I’m sorry, was I somehow transported to the arctic?
A HIGH of -3 degrees next week? In case you need me, I will be in my fleece pajamas, wrapped up in my fleece blanket, and will not be leaving my house.
9. I’m excited for the Olympics to start up in a few weeks! Naturally, I watch as much of the hockey as possible, and I love the figure skating and skiing. Do you have any favorite events that you like to watch?
10. TGIF! Stay warm this weekend! (I declare it still officially Christmas until January 6th, so Santa hats all around!)