Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours (chill time)
Total Time: 30 minutes
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ red onion, diced, divided
1 large cucumber, diced, divided
5 Roma tomatoes, diced, divided
1 zucchini, diced, divided
2 stalks celery, diced, divided
1 dash salt, to taste
4 cups tomato juice, divided
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
6 dashes Tabasco
1 dash black pepper, to taste
1. In the bowl of a food processor or in a blender, combine the minced garlic with half the red onion, half the cucumber, half the tomato, half the zucchini, half the celery, half the tomato juice, and all of the olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, Tabasco, and salt.
2. Pulse until all ingredients are blended well; mixture will have a nice speckled, colorful texture.
3. Pour into a large bowl and add the rest of the tomato juice, and half of the remaining onion, cucumber, tomato, zucchini, and celery. (Reserve the rest of the diced vegetables for garnish.)
4. Stir mixture together and check seasonings, adding salt if needed. Chill soup for at least 2 hours.
5. Remove the soup from the refrigerator and stir. Ladle into a bowl and garnish with remaining diced vegetables, a sliver of fresh avocado, sour cream, and cilantro. Serve with grilled bread or toasted baguette.
(Recipe adapted from The Pioneer Woman)