Goody Goody Bars
Yield: 24 bars
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup salted dry-roasted peanuts, chopped
6 cups cornflakes
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1. Line a 9x13-inch baking dish with foil, allowing excess to overhang pan edges. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Cook the brown sugar and corn syrup in a large saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves and the mixture is boiling, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
3. Off the heat, add the peanut butter and peanuts, stirring until the peanut butter is incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Add the cornflakes to the pot and stir until coated.
4. Working quickly, scrape the mixture into the prepared pan. Using a greased spatula, press the mixture into the bottom and corners of the pan. Let cool completely at room temperature on a wire rack for about 1 hour or in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
5. Microwave the chocolate chips in a bowl at 50% power in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate over the cooled bars and spread into an even layer. Allow the chocolate to cool, about 15 minutes (or pop the pan back in the refrigerator to speed up the process, it'll be set in 5-10 minutes). Using the foil overhang, lift the bars from the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut into squares.
Storage: Bars should be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
(Recipe adapted from America's Test Kitchen Holiday Cookies)