For the Macarons:
2 ounces almonds
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon dried mango, ground in a food processor
2 egg whites, at room temperature
5 tablespoons granulated sugar
¼ teaspoon mango extract
¼ teaspoon raspberry or strawberry extract
1 tablespoon meringue powder
Orange and pink food coloring gels (a very small bit)
For the White Chocolate Cream Cheese Filling:
¾ cup white chocolate chips
2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat and have a pastry bag with a plain tip (about 1/4 to 1/2-inch) ready.
2. Grind together the confectioners' sugar, ground dried mango, and almonds in a food processor until finely chopped.
3. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until they begin to rise and hold their shape. While whipping, add in the granulated sugar a little at a time, until very stiff and firm, about 2 minutes. If you can turn the bowl upside down and the meringue stays put, you've got it.
4. Carefully fold half of the dry ingredients into the beaten egg whites with a flexible rubber spatula. Add your food coloring, meringue powder and extracts. Stir quickly and gently, then add remaining dry ingredients. When the mixture is just smooth and there are no streaks of egg white, stop folding and scrape the batter into the pastry bag (standing the bag in a tall glass helps if you're alone).
5. Pipe the batter on the prepared baking sheets in 1-inch circles (about 1 tablespoon each of batter), evenly spaced one-inch or more (3 cm) apart. Rap the baking sheet a few times on the counter to flatten the macarons. Place an empty baking sheet on the lower oven rack, then place the macarons in the upper third of the oven.
6. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Let cool completely then remove from baking sheet. Macarons that are not being baked (waiting their turn on the counter) are fine, and can be left out unbaked at least 30 minutes or more.
7. To make the White Chocolate Cream Cheese filling, heat the white chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 second intervals until smooth. Stir and add in softened cream cheese. Stir until smooth, then add in extract. If the mixture seizes, place it in the microwave for 15 seconds and stir again. Spread or pipe onto the bottom of half of the cooled macarons. (If filling is too loose, place in refrigerator for a few minutes until it is a spreadable consistency.) Top with the remaining macarons.
8. Store filled macarons in refrigerator in an airtight container.