The first time I heard about this recipe, it was referred to as “puppy chow” and I absolutely thought that people were talking about a homemade dog food snack. I soon found out that it was an alternative (and sometimes regional) name for what is more commonly known as Muddy Buddies – a super quick recipe made with Rice Chex cereal. The cereal is coated with a melted mixture of chocolate chips, butter, peanut butter and vanilla extract, then dusted with powdered sugar. Basically, it’s one of the most addicting snacks you’ll ever make. The fact that it can be thrown together in just 15 minutes is both wonderful and dangerous. If you ask me, it’s all sorts of wonderful.
I’ve been making this concoction for years and just now realized that I hadn’t shared it with you yet! I did make a popcorn version a few years ago (“poppy chow“), which is amazing in it’s own right, but I couldn’t go another day depriving you of the cereal, chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar goodness. I love snacking on it in the evening while I watch TV; it’s a good dose of savory and sweet all-in-one. It’s great for parties, personal snacks and even to give as a gift. Fill some canning jars with the Muddy Buddies, tie a ribbon or some twine with a nice tag and you have a perfect gift for a hostess, a teacher, or anyone on your Christmas list.
My clothes never look as good as they do when covered in powdered sugar
Muddy Buddies [a.k.a. Puppy Chow]
Yield: 15 to 20 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Chocolate and peanut butter-covered Rice Chex cereal, dusted in powdered sugar. A quick and easy snack!
9 cups Rice Chex cereal (almost a full 12.8-ounce box)
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup creamy peanut butter
¼ cup salted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups powdered sugar
1. Place the Rice Chex cereal in a large bowl; set aside.
2. Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter, butter and vanilla extract in a medium bowl or 4-cup measuring cup. Microwave in 30-second intervals on 50% power, stirring after each, until the mixture is completely melted and smooth.
3. Pour the chocolate mixture over the Rice Chex cereal and use a rubber spatula to mix it until all of the cereal is coated.
4. Place the powdered sugar in a gallon-size zip-top bag. Put all of the chocolate-covered cereal into the bag, zipper it closed, and then shake it very well until all of the cereal is coated with powdered sugar.
5. Spread the mixture out onto a wax-paper lined sheet pan to cool and set, about 30 minutes, then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
(Recipe from Chex.com)