2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
12 ounces cleaned and sliced crimini mushrooms
3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup pearl barley
6 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
½ cup parmesan cheese, shredded
1. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion until it starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the mushrooms and saute until they have released all of their liquid and are golden brown, about 10 minutes. You can add 1 to 3 tablespoons of water if they start to stick.
3. Stir in the herbs and garlic, then add the barley and stir to coat for 1 minute. Add 4 cups of the broth and bring to a boil over high heat.
4. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Reduce the heat to medium and add more broth, ½ cup at a time, stirring until each addition is absorbed, until the barley is tender but still slightly firm. You may not use all of the broth, but you will use most of it.
5. Remove the pan from the heat and add the butter and cheese, stirring until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.