For the Peach Filling:
6 peaches, peeled, pitted & sliced into ¼- to ½-inch slices
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
4 tablespoons instant tapioca, ground in a spice grinder
For the Cobbler Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
¾ cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine the slices peaches, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and tapioca in a large bowl; set aside for 10-15 minutes.
3. In the meantime, make the cobbler topping. Whisk together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt in another large bowl. Toss the butter pieces with your fingers, and work them into the flour mixture until it is the texture of coarse meal, with little pea-size pieces. Pour the buttermilk on top and, using a fork, mix until just combined.
4. Pour the peaches into a 9x13-inch baking dish. Drop the cobbler topping dough by the spoonful all over the peach filling.
5. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.