I’m an open book when it comes to things that I like and don’t like. You know that I don’t turn down much of anything if it includes peanut butter. Especially if it’s a cookie… That also includes chocolate… And salty pretzels. For as often as I make chocolate chip cookies, I feel like I neglect peanut butter cookies a bit. While I can never get enough of peanut butter, those cookies are something I never think about making except during the holidays. What a travesty! After making these cookies, I’m vowing to never let more than two months pass before making a batch of peanut butter cookies again. They’re too good to ignore!
I played around with the ingredients a little bit and made my first batch of cookies. Those turned out a little on the mushy side, so I did more tweaking and ended up adapting my very favorite classic peanut butter cookie recipe. The end result was perfect; everyone who tasted them couldn’t get enough. We kept grabbing cookie after cookie… needless to say, they didn’t last very long!
These cookies are everything fabulous about the combination of pretzels, peanut butter and chocolate. If you’ve ever enjoyed a bowl of Chubby Hubby ice cream, you know how absolutely delicious it is. The combination of creamy peanut butter, the salty pretzels and sweet chocolate chips is heaven. I admit to taking a spoonful of peanut butter, crushing some pretzels on top, sprinkling on chocolate chips and calling it dessert. Perfectly acceptable, right?
If you love the combination of salty and sweet with a touch of chocolate, you won’t be able to resist these cookies!
Peanut Butter-Pretzel Chocolate Chip Cookies
Yield: About 2½ dozen cookies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Fabulous chewy peanut butter cookies, loaded with pretzel crumbs and chocolate chips.
1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup finely crushed pretzels
¾ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1¼ cups light brown sugar
¾ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup vegetable shortening
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
⅓ cup mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375°. Line baking sheets with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
2. Whisk together the flour, crushed pretzels, baking soda and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Combine the brown sugar, peanut butter, shortening, milk and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Add the egg and beat just until blended. Reduce speed to low and add the flour mixture gradually, mixing just until combined. Using a rubber spatula, stir in the chocolate chips.
4. Use a medium cookie scoop (or 2 tablespoons) to scoop dough and roll into a ball between the palms of your hands. Place on the baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Dip the tines of a fork into a cup of water and make a crisscross patern on the cookies, flattening them slightly. Repeat dipping the fork in water as necessary if it starts to stick to the dough (I did it every few cookies).
5. Bake for 8 minutes or until set and beginning to brown around the edges. Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
(Recipe inspired by Oh, Ladycakes)