Daily Challenge: Macro/Close Up

March 2, 2011 | 7 Comments | Email | Print

Daily Challenge: Macro/Close Up

This challenge definitely has me yearning for a macro lens! So while the “macro” part of the assignment couldn’t be achieved to its full extent, I enjoyed the close-up. I tried some different shots – plants, things around the house, etc. and in the end my pup’s nose while he was napping won out as my favorite shot. He barely opened his eyes while I was snapping the pictures. Ahhh, to have a dog’s life!

Camera Settings: Lens 50mm 1.8, ISO 100, Aperture f/4.0, Exposure 1/500

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Warning: file_get_contents(http://api.bit.ly/shorten?version=2.0.1&longUrl=http://www.browneyedbaker.com/photography/2011/03/02/daily-challenge-macro-close-up/&login=browneyedbaker&apiKey=R_c26f44861d3f74834c322eb7f2020ff0) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/browney1/public_html/photography/wp-content/themes/thesis_18/custom/custom_functions.php on line 164

7 Responses to Daily Challenge: Macro/Close Up

Emily @ Darby O'Shea March 2, 2011 at 12:19 pm

This might go without saying, but more authentic macro-esque shots can be achieved without a macro lens if you bump the f-stop down to 1.8, get in as close as you can without losing focus, and then crop a little bit afterward.

I like this shot just as it is, though. Dog noses are the best.

Michelle March 2, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Hi Emily, Thanks for the comment! And *doh!* I totally should have dropped the aperture the whole way to 1.8. I still sometimes forget that I have total control. Baby steps :)

Kelly (the dSLR newbie) March 2, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Great pic, I like how the light & whiskers make the details on the nose pop even more. And what a good boy staying still for you!

For macro shots, I use either the “flower” setting on my dial (though it’s an AUTO and trying to get away from that), or aperture priority and try not to zoom.

Michelle March 2, 2011 at 2:10 pm

I gave it another shot with the aperture the whole way down to 1.8. Luckily I was able to find Einstein snoozing again ;-)

Macro/Closeup Take 2

Amanda January 16, 2012 at 10:03 am

Adorable! Great shot!

Denise May 1, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Love it! You can get necklaces made pendants of imprints of your pet’s nose, or feet!I believe it’s in Uncommon Goods. :)

shoot the face July 15, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Nice shot! Really, good photography also requires your skills and also great timing! :)
Why not submit some of your works to a monthly photo contest? Showcasing your works and hearing people appreciate it is just as rewarding as winning a photography award.