Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze

Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze - A Starbucks copycat! | http://www.browneyedbaker.com/pumpkin-scones-spiced-glaze/
These pumpkin scones are a copycat version of Starbucks’ pumpkin scone; they are warmly spiced and topped with two sweet glazes – one plain and one spiced.

This pumpkin scone recipe has been on the site for nearly six years and it was in desperate need of a revival and facelift! These scones were the result of a reader requesting a copycat version of the Starbucks pumpkin scone. If you’ve never had one, their pumpkin scones are spiced with the usual suspects – cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves – and are adorned with not one, but two glazes. The first is a simple white glaze, while the second is stiffer, spiced, and a perfect complement to the flavor of the scones.

I have made quite a number of scone recipes and they’re all just a little bit different – from the chocolate chip cream scones to more savory, biscuit-like scones. These pumpkin scones have the consistency of a quick bread – they’re a little bit more cakey than the scones that are made with just cream, or with butter and buttermilk.

The pumpkin flavor shines through beautifully in the scones; they are not overly sweetened, so they pair well with the one-two punch of the icing. The spiced glaze in the Starbucks pumpkin scones is pumpkin-flavored; in order to achieve the same flavor, you could use a splash of pumpkin flavor.

The only two things that I changed in this recipe from the original are how the scones are shaped and the number of scones that the recipe makes. For this amount of dough, I found that dividing into eight (versus the original 12) yielded more robust and perfectly-shaped scones. In addition, over the last few years, I have found that shaping scones into a circle and then cutting into triangles is much simpler than shaping into rectangles and cutting triangles.

As with any type of scone, I love that I can eat these for breakfast and not feel the least bit guilty, and then have one for dessert after dinner, as well. Total win all-around!

One year ago: Slow Cooker BBQ Ribs
Five years ago: Pumpkin-Cinnamon Chip & Pecan Granola Bars
Seven years ago: Wendy’s Copycat Chili
Eight years ago: Soft Pretzels

Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze

Yield: 8 scones

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 14 to 16 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

These pumpkin scones are a copycat version of Starbucks' pumpkin scone; they are warmly spiced and topped with two sweet glazes - one plain and one spiced.

For the Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes
½ cup canned pumpkin
3 tablespoons half-and-half (can substitute heavy cream)
1 large egg

For the Powdered Sugar Glaze:
1 cup + 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
2 tabelspoons milk

For the Spiced Glaze:
1 cup + 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch ground ginger
Pinch ground cloves

1. Make the Scones: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Using a pastry blender (or fork), cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture is crumbly and there are no pieces of butter larger than the size of a pea; set aside.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin, half-and-half and egg. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until mostly combined (the mixture will seem dry), and turn the dough out onto a clean work surface. Knead the dough a few times to ensure it is completely combined.

4. Pat the dough into a 7-inch circle. Cut the round of dough into 8 equal triangles. Place the scones on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until lightly browned on top. Cool completely before glazing.

5. Make the Powdered Sugar Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Use a pastry brush to spread the glaze over the top of each scone. Allow to set (about 15 minutes) before proceeding with the spiced glaze.

6. For the Spiced Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and cloves. Using a spoon, drizzle the glaze over each scone and allow to set before serving. (If the mixture is too stiff to drizzle, whisk in a splash of milk at a time to thin it out just enough to drizzle.) Leftover scones can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.

(Adapted from We [Heart] Food)

This recipe was originally published on February 19, 2010.

232 Responses to “Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze”

1. Ilene on February 18, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Can you use pumpkin pie spice instead of the cinnamon, nutmeg, Ginger and cloves?

• Michelle on February 22nd, 2011 at 8:04 pm

• Ginny on November 13th, 2015 at 2:15 pm

How much would you use? Thank you!!

2. Regina M. on March 18, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Just made these and they are great. A little bit too much clove for me so I will adjust next time. I made a pot of pumpkin soup to use up the rest of the pumpkin. Thanks so much!

3. Audrey on July 4, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I was wondering if I could subsititute equal parts butter for pumpkin puree. I don’t keep a lot of butter in the house, and I love the idea of using pumpkin puree in a pumpkin scone. Do you think that might work?

• Michelle on July 6th, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Hi Audrey, The butter in the recipe is what contributes to its flaky texture; without it they may end up being rather mushy.

4. Pingback: pumpkin scones with spiced glaze | one apron

5. Caroline on July 24, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I made these and added finely chopped crystallized ginger. They are delicious! I am a ginger lover and love the extra ginger kick.

6. Amanda on August 26, 2011 at 12:53 pm

I absolutely love your site! I am so glad I came across it. I am planning on making these scones during the impending hurricane this weekend, but I was wondering if whole milk could be used in place of the half and half? I get nervous about swapping out ingredients in new recipes. Keep up all the fabulous work!! :)

• Michelle on August 26th, 2011 at 2:19 pm

Hi Amanda, If you don’t have access to actual half and half you could sub half whole milk, and half heavy cream. You could do all whole milk if you’re in a pinch though.

7. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday – 9/5-9/11 « Re-Inventing SuperMom

8. Pingback: Baking with Pumpkin | Sprinkles in Springs

9. Pingback: 150 Best Fall Recipes | Biz Chicks

10. Kai on September 10, 2011 at 11:45 am

Hi! How many ounces of canned pumpkin do you use? I have 29 oz cans of pumpkin at home and know smaller sized-cans are available. Can’t wait to bake these and thanks!

• Michelle on September 12th, 2011 at 1:41 pm

Hi Kai, The 1/2 cup of canned pumpkin called for in this recipe is the equivalent of 5 ounces.

11. Amy Jo on September 11, 2011 at 1:37 am

I made these last week with the first ripe pumpkin from my garden–they were exactly what I hoped they would be. However, I did double the spice in the scone and icing as I like ’em “spicy”. Thanks for the fantastic recipe.

12. kylie on September 11, 2011 at 11:23 pm

My house smells wonderful and my sweet tooth is satisfied because of these great scones. Even though they turned out awesome, I screwed up the recipe and forgot the egg. I thought an egg was an essential part of baking? Thanks Michelle, I love your blog, recipes and stories.

13. Kara on September 17, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I’ve love scones and anything pumpkin, so this was a must-try recipe for me! These were delicious. They are definitely moister and a different texture than a traditional scone, but that is fine with me. More like a really moist muffin or cake. Presentation was nice and they were quick and easy to make with ingredients I always have on hand. You’ll definitely want to use the icing; it lends extra moisture and flavor! I’ll definitely make these every fall.

Note: I did not have any half and half and subbed 2% in milk.

14. Kara on September 17, 2011 at 1:55 pm

One more thing – brush the thinner, plain glaze on the scones and let dry completely. Once dry, drizzle the thicker, spicy glaze back and forth over the top. It adds nice contrast and makes them look like you purchased them from a bakery!

15. shannon on September 19, 2011 at 3:33 pm

my dough was a little more sticky then i was expecting but i just added some flour to work that out, not sure if that was normal for everyone that tried it.

I doubled the recipe since i had a can of pumpkin and just froze the extra. These are super good. I also had a bit of extra pumpkin left in the can and added it to the spice glaze which gave it just that extra pumpkin taste which was great! I love pumpkin!

16. Kate Koger on September 21, 2011 at 7:17 pm

These sound amazing….but we font have half and half here in England. What could I use instead?? Love your sight…keep the pumpkin recipes coming. :):):):)

• shannon on September 21st, 2011 at 8:20 pm

I used milk and they turned out just fine, I think a few others did as well judging by the comments

• Kate Koger on September 22nd, 2011 at 1:32 am

Thanks a million Shannon, I look forward to having a go at these!

17. Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers on September 23, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Me again. If I make these scones on Sunday evening,do you think they will taste as good on Monday morning? I want to take them to work.

• Michelle on September 24th, 2011 at 12:00 am

Honestly, they won’t taste AS good (scones are always best fresh), but they will still be delicious! Just store them in an airtight container.

18. Pingback: Sunday cafe: October - Life Recipes Weekend cafe - autumn October pumpkin scones - Daily Cup of Jo

19. Pingback: Pumpkin Spice Scones « sugar coated

20. Kelley on October 3, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Thank you for the recipe! I made them this morning!

21. Amanda on October 10, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Really?? NO one had the same problem is had? The “dough” was so sticky it just was mush, I followed the recipie exactly. I measure flour without packing and that’s the only thing I can see as a possible mishap. Seriously no one else got mush?? It wasn’t even close to a scone dough.

• Victoria on October 17th, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Amanda, I had the exact same problem! The dough was so wet and sticky that I added in extra flour, but then they turned into flavorless lumps when I baked them! I consider myself a pretty stellar baker, and the dough had great flavor before I had to add extra flour … but this was kind of disappointing!

22. Pingback: Time to finally post some updates! « Mrslinderman's Blog

23. Valerie on October 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Just took these babies outta the oven and they look and smell fantastic! No probs with the dough…followed the directions to the letter..except! I did not have any parchment paper and they did just fine on an ungreased cookie sheet. Thanks for an awesome recipe!

24. Annaliese Lemmon on October 14, 2011 at 10:54 am

I adapted these scones to be gluten-free, dairy-free, and soy-free and blogged about it here. Oh my gosh! So good! Thanks for inspiring Sweet Pea’s Kitchen to make them!

25. Kai on October 16, 2011 at 11:34 am

You must make these scones. They are sooo good and way better than Sbux! Moist and flavorful. Thank you.

26. Pingback: Pumpkin Scones to Die For | Brooklyn Baker Boy

27. Pingback: Banana-Walnut Scones with Maple Butter

28. Pingback: Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze « Butter Queen

29. Kelly on October 21, 2011 at 6:23 am

Made these scones three times now. My one addition is mini cinnamon chips (from KAF- Baker’s Catalogue)- WOW. Tried the two glaze method twice and loved. Then I tried with just the spice glaze. I didn’t like it as well, might have made it too thin. Just found your site recently, my new favorite recipe site.

30. Brenda on October 22, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I think dry/wetness depends on elevation, mine were very moist and i had to add a touch of flour when flattening out so not to stick on the counter/pan, i also instead of just cutting with knife used a pumpkin cookie cutter. it worked very well even balling and reshaping the dough. i didn’t do both glazes on them, just the spiced since i was wanting to do less sugar since they’re going to my son’s preschool as a snack. but i tried them and it was more than enough to give it a good flavor.

31. Pingback: Easy Pumpkin Pie Muffins :: Mr. Food's Blog

32. Sarah at Mr. Food on October 26, 2011 at 12:59 pm

I absolutely love scones first-thing in the morning; add pumpkin spice & I’m SOLD. Keep the scones comin’! I included your Pumpkin Scones recipe in a recipe round-up on the Mr. Food Blog, thanks so much :) http://www.mrfoodblog.com/easy-pumpkin-pie-muffins/

33. Pingback: 40 Thanksgiving Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

34. Melissa on November 3, 2011 at 5:06 pm

Has anyone tried using buttermilk instead of the half and half?

35. Pingback: 10 Amazing Pumpkin Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

36. Pingback: Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze |

37. Pingback: 10 Best Pumpkin Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

38. Pingback: Pumpkin Bread | Brown Eyed Baker

39. Pingback: 150 Best Fall Recipes | Brown Eyed Baker

40. Pingback: Quote Wall is Happening « Bananas for Coffee

41. Pingback: Pumpkin Scones … mmmmm « One Happy Family

42. patty on November 23, 2011 at 11:04 pm

made the dough two days ago and baked them today, they turned out great!! now, if they weren’t so fattening, LOL

43. Pingback: Pumpkin-licious, or Recipes of Fall | Adventures in Desi Cooking

44. Pingback: Overnight Cinnamon Pumpkin Rolls « Katie at the Kitchen Door

45. Pingback: Recipe Wednesdays: Pumpkin Scones* @ Maggie Marsek

46. Pingback: Pumpkin Scones with Spiced Glaze | OliePants

47. Francesca on December 16, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I made these for brunch, and they were a big hit! They were just as good as Starbucks’s pumpkin scones, if not, better. The glaze looks so pretty, and adds a lot to the flavor.

48. Ashley on January 14, 2012 at 11:25 am

Just made these for breakfast for my husband and I. Can’t believe how easy they were to make. Thanks!

49. alicia on January 22, 2012 at 7:40 am

Made these yesterday mid-morning and were quickly gone! There has been a request to whip these up again for breakfast. Very good and SO easy! Also, our 19 yr old son who is employed by Starbucks gave them two thumbs up. :o)

50. Pingback: New Orleans Bourbon Bread Pudding with Bourbon Sauce | Brown Eyed Baker

Comment Pages 1 2 3 4