Samoa Icebox Cake
Yes, you read that right! SAMOA Icebox Cake! This amazing no-bake icebox cake features all of the classic flavors of Samoa cookies!
Icebox cakes are one of my very favorite summer desserts. They are completely no-bake, which means no turning on the oven during the ungodly heat and humidity that’s ravaging most areas this time of year. Furthermore, they’re kept chilled in the refrigerator, which makes for a totally refreshing when it’s a bazillion degrees outside.
I recently got a copy of the new cookbook No-Bake Treats, which is 100% up my alley. Complicated, time-consuming kitchen projects really do not jive with my season of life right now (i.e. a toddler running around who is down to one nap, and being 7.5 months pregnant), so I am totally embracing delicious, easy recipes. Enter this Samoa Icebox Cake. All of the awesome flavors of a Samoa cookie – chocolate, caramel, coconut – in an icebox cake!
Let’s talk about these layers…
Coconut cream pudding
Caramel cream cheese filling
I served this for dessert a couple of Sundays ago and it was met with rave, and I mean seriously RAVE reviews. Then my mom took the leftovers to work the next day and she said everyone there went bonkers over the cake.
Needless to say, if you are a fan of any/all of these flavors, you NEED to make this Samoa icebox cake! It’s a perfect summer dessert – light, refreshing and DELICIOUS.
Three years ago: Peanut Butter Lover’s Ice Cream
Four years ago: Blueberry Cobbler
Eight years ago: Beef Wellington
Samoa Icebox Cake
This amazing no-bake icebox cake features all of the classic flavors of Samoa cookies!
For the Graham Cracker Layer:
About 24 full-size graham crackers
For the Coconut Pudding Layer:
- 2 (3.4-ounce) boxes instant coconut cream pudding
- 4 cups (960 ml) whole milk
For the Caramel Cheesecake Layer:
- 12 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup (113 grams) powdered sugar
- ½ cup (120 ml) heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons caramel sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup hot fudge sauce (homemade or store-bought)
For the Whipped Cream Topping:
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) heavy cream
- ⅔ cup (76 grams) powdered sugar
For the Additional Garnishes:
- 2 cups (151 grams) shredded coconut, toasted
- Caramel sauce
- Hot fudge sauce
- Prepare the Coconut Pudding Layer: In a large bowl, whisk together the instant pudding mix and milk for 2 minutes, then let it set for at least 5 minutes.
- Prepare the Caramel Cheesecake Layer: Using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese on medium-high speed for 2 to 3 minutes until it’s light and fluffy. Gradually add the powdered sugar and mix until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and slowly add the heavy cream, beating until all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined. Add the caramel sauce and beat at medium-high speed until completely combined.
- Assemble the Icebox Cake: Line the bottom of a 9×13-inch baking dish with graham crackers, breaking them if necessary to fit all along the bottom. Spread half of the coconut pudding over the graham crackers. Then spread half of the caramel cheesecake mixture over the coconut pudding. Microwave the hot fudge sauce for 30 to 60 seconds, until melted, then spread ½ cup over the caramel cheesecake mixture. Sprinkle ½ cup of the toasted coconut over the hot fudge.
- Repeat with another layer of graham crackers, the remaining coconut pudding, the remaining caramel cheesecake filling, another ½ cup of hot fudge sauce, and another ½ cup of toasted coconut. Finish with a final layer of graham crackers.
- Make the Whipped Cream Topping: Using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream on medium-high speed until the cream gets frothy and bubbly. Gradually add the powdered sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the whipped cream over the final layer of graham crackers, then top with the remaining 1 cup of toasted coconut and drizzle with additional caramel sauce and hot fudge. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or up to 1 day, before serving.