Seven Layer Salad
Picnic food is, without a doubt, some of my favorite food around. Hot dogs charred to a crisp on the grill… potato salad… baked beans… coleslaw… watermelon! You name it, and I’ll fill my plate with it at a picnic. I’ve had versions of this seven layer salad at countless family picnics growing up, and it’s no wonder that I love it so much. Two main reasons:
1) It’s filled with lots of stuff. Like Elaine from Seinfeld, I love a big salad with lots of stuff. Things like bacon, cheese and hard-boiled eggs definitely make salads infinitely more appealing.
2) The dressing mimics the one that my grandma uses in her legendary broccoli salad. I could drink that dressing!
I couldn’t come across any family recipes for this salad, as I think it’s one of things that you just know and throw together. I did three sections of seven layers each, so that there was a superb mix of ingredients; no digging around for specific ingredients. Plus, more dressing throughout is good for everyone, right?!
With Memorial Day on our doorstep (hello, how is it the beginning of summer already?!), I thought some picnic food was in order. If you’re hosting a bash or going to one, this is a perfect dish that feeds an army and is a huge crowd-pleaser.
Have a fantastic holiday weekend; I hope you get to eat some awesome picnic food!
One year ago: Frozen Brownie Sundae
Two years ago: Grilled Chicken Drumsticks with Spicy Apple Glaze
Three years ago: Peanut Butter Brownies
Four years ago: Blackberry Pie Bars
Five years ago: Coconut Chocolate Chunk Brownies
Six years ago: Lighter Chicken Parmesan
Seven years ago: Taco Rice Salad
Seven Layer Salad
A fabulous 7-layer salad consisting of Romaine lettuce, peas, red onion, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, cheddar cheese and green onions. The dressing is killer!
1 head romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped, divided
1 cup frozen peas, divided
½ red onion, finely diced, divided
12 ounces bacon, cooked and crumbled, divided
3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and diced, divided
1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced, divided
For the Dressing:
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
½ cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons white vinegar
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together all of the dressing ingredients; set aside.
2. Place one-third of the lettuce in the bottom of a trifle dish. Top with one-third each of the peas, red onion, bacon, hard-boiled egg, cheese and green onions. Spread one-third of the dressing over the top.
3. Repeat layers again, ending with the dressing.
4. For the last set of layers, begin again with the lettuce, peas and red onion, then cover with the remaining dressing. Top the dressing with the bacon, hard-boiled egg, cheese and green onions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving. Salad should be eaten the day it is assembled.