Pocket Rockers – The Original iPod

April 12, 2011 | 15 Comments | Email | Print

I am a child of the ’80s. I had a banana hair clip. I wore layered, neon-colored socks. I wore jelly shoes. I had a Gameboy. I loved the show “You Can’t Do That on Television”. Later, I would peg my jeans*.

And I owned a Pocket Rocker. Which, to me, was just about the coolest thing ever. You could listen to your favorite songs over and over, on a little portable player. I haven’t thought about those things in years, but I was in the car today listening to 80′s on 8 on XM and the song “Dance Like an Egyptian” came on. And the first thing that popped into my head was the Pocket Rocker – The Bangles tape was one of my favorites (it had Walk Like an Egyptian and Manic Monday)! Amazing how a song can bring back such specific memories from so long ago! And then I started remembering all of the songs I had that I loved…

Bon Jovi – “Livin’ on a Prayer”
Belinda Carlisle – “Heaven is a Place on Earth”
Jan Hammer & Glenn Frey – “The Miami Vice Theme” & “The Heat is On”
Huey Lewis & the News – “Doing It All For My Baby” & “The Power of Love” (it helped that I also loved Back to the Future)

I think Fisher-Price had a step on Apple for a brief moment.

Did you have a Pocket Rocker? Do you remember your favorite songs?

*A guy my boyfriend works with is in his early to mid-20′s and had never heard of pegging jeans and had no idea what it meant. Wow, did I feel old!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Warning: file_get_contents(http://api.bit.ly/shorten?version=2.0.1&longUrl=http://www.browneyedbaker.com/unplugged/2011/04/12/pocket-rockers-the-original-ipod/&login=browneyedbaker&apiKey=R_c26f44861d3f74834c322eb7f2020ff0) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found in /home/browney1/public_html/unplugged/wp-content/themes/thesis_18/custom/custom_functions.php on line 164

15 Responses to Pocket Rockers – The Original iPod

Bobbi April 12, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Yes I had all of those things too except the pocket rocker, always wanted one. And we didn’t call it pegging our jeans but we called it tightrolling them. Ahh I miss the 80′s. I wonder if my parents rolled their eyes at You can’t do that on Television the way I roll my eyes at the shows my kids watch :)

I love your blog! I have been reading it for awhile now and you are the first place I go to check out recipies, I have tried so many of your recipies and they always turn out amazing! Thanks for sharing your amazing recipies with us! and thanks for taking me down memory lane :)

Glenn Ferrell April 12, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Well, if you want to feel younger, I was way too old for pocket rockers. I was 16 when they came out! My early music memories involve 8-tracks and AM radio. :-)

And by “pegging” do you mean “tight-rolling” the jeans? If so, I definitely remember that. I’m STILL not used to the jeans flopping on the back of my leg… and I haven’t right-rolled my jeans since about 1991.

Maureen April 13, 2011 at 9:00 am

Loved the pocket rocker! Except that we only had two “tapes” – Whitney Houston’s “I Wanna Dance with Somebody” and Tifany’s “I Think We’re Alone Now”. Every time I hear those songs, I remember thinking how cool we were with our pegged jeans, pocket rockers, and t-shirt clips :)

Michelle April 13, 2011 at 11:16 am

Ahh I totally forgot about t-shirt clips! Those were sooooo cool ;-)

Erin April 13, 2011 at 11:13 am

While I think I was a little younger in the 80s (not of age to rock a Pocket Rocker), I lovingly remember all of these things :D Every time I hear any song from that Bangles album, it makes me want to dance around my living room like the little kid I once was. Happy memories :)

Black Martha April 14, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I love this post! I had a pocket rocker! I jammed to my Jets and The New Kids On the Block tapes. Their songs had me dancin’ in my L.A. Gears all the time!

Brandy May 19, 2011 at 12:13 am

I actually still have my pocket rocker. I showed it to my kids not too long ago,they were not impressed.

shannon October 17, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I’m trying to buy one soooo cool you still have yours

Brienne June 3, 2011 at 7:30 am

TOO FUNNY! We must be about the same age…I had the same pocket rocker I think and my three tapes that I remember were the same Belinda Carlisle & Bangles you had and the Tiffany one.

Katie @ NYCitified June 14, 2011 at 2:00 am

Yes! A million times, yes, I totally had a Pocket Rocker and it was totally rad. I remember the sound quality being about equal to a cellphone speaker (which I know because I live in NY and have endured numerous subway riders trying to use their Blackberry’s as makeshift boomboxes). Actually my fiance and I were just recently talking about our pocket rockers and how his favorites were Hall & Oates and “Eye of the Tiger.” Awesomeness.

Alea July 24, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I still have mine! I had Huey Lewis, Bon Jovi, Tiffany, Debbie Gibson and New Kids on the block!

Stephanie August 8, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Ahhh yesss Pocket Rockers!!! I was just talking about pocket rockers to my boyfriend the other day. Oh how I miss the 80′s sooo much!! I had Whitney Houston “I Wanna Dance with Somebody”, Tears for Fears “Shout” and “Everbody Wants to Rule the World”, Tiffany, Bengals, New Kids, Debbie Gibson and a bunch others. ‘Shout’ and ‘Everbody Wants To Rule the World’ are still two of my favorite songs til this day…..I luv it!!!!

Stephanie August 8, 2011 at 10:27 pm

cont. from previous post:

wait…..I’m thinking back and I don’t think New Kids on the Block were on Pocket Rockers. I did have their album though :-)

Megan Brown August 23, 2011 at 11:42 pm

AHHHHHH! You just took me back to the 80′s! What a glorious time. Hypercolor. Good Saturday morning cartoons. Perms. I loved my pocket rocket!!!

shannon October 17, 2012 at 11:29 pm

Ooo were can I buy one I’ve looked and looked gotta have sompeople who still have em my 6 yr old would love love one