2018: My Resolutions
I’ve never been much of a January “resolution” maker. Turning the calendar never really gave me the urge to do some massive overhaul on my life. However, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve found that if I don’t actually think about, write down and acknowledge goals I’d like to accomplish, then the likelihood of me meeting them is slim to none.
One of the popular things I’ve seen over the last few years is people picking a word for the year, something that drives their goals and tasks. Although I didn’t formally pick one last year, it could best be summed up as intentional. I really wanted to be more intentional with my time, and I think I did a really good job of not working harder, but much smarter.
This year, if I had to pick a word, it would be GRACE. I tend to put a lot of pressure on myself to go, go, go and do, do, do from the time I get up until my head hits the pillow at night. In late March or early April we’ll be welcoming baby #3 to our family, and I know from experience that it takes at least 4 to 6 weeks to get into a rhythm with a new little one, plus I’ll be recovering from surgery, so I plan to give myself as much grace as possible. Accept help and delegate as best I can (it’s not my strong suit!) and enjoy those sweet, snuggly days with all of my babies.
In that vein, I’m nixing the popular format of “18 in 2018” and sticking to a very simple, very concise list!
MY 2018 GOALS
1. Create and maintain a sourdough starter. I have said it every single year for what seems like eternity now, but I WILL master sourdough this year! I have had such issues with getting it off the ground; I have a couple of new resources that I’m going to try out. Fingers crossed! If it’s successful, you better believe I’ll be sharing it with all of you!
2. Eat more vegetables. This is seriously a life long struggle of mine because I just do not inherently LIKE vegetables. I will eat most of them, but I don’t really enjoy it, so it’s a real chore for me. I was totally THAT KID that needed her broccoli bathed in cheese sauce to be coaxed to eat it… Doing more meal planning last year definitely helped in that regard, so I’m hoping to keep up in that area.
3. Floss! I’m so bad at remembering to do this! Setting a reminder before bed so I can’t forget!
4. Purge the house. I did a total Konmari overhaul of my closet back when I was pregnant with Dominic, and I’ve continued to purge other areas, most notably in the kitchen, but there is still so much left to do. Maybe it’s because we’re drowning in toys after the holidays, but we just feel like there’s so much STUFF everywhere. I’d love to get a lot of it tackled before the baby arrives!
5. Take time for myself. I have the bad habit of feeling like I need to spend every free minute of the day getting stuff DONE. And to be fair, between taking care of the boys, regular house chores, and working, there is plenty to go around. However, I need to do a better job of telling myself I HAVE to relax for 30 minutes after the boys go to bed, or go upstairs a little early and read instead of working until I go upstairs, and then crashing.
I’m going easy on myself this year, but I’m hoping I can make these resolutions work for me!
What are your goals for 2018?
P.S. If you want to bake those cupcakes above, get the recipe for ultimate chocolate cupcakes!