Egg, Sausage and Cheddar Breakfast Burritos
I’ve never been one for a fussy breakfast; I prefer quick and easy, even if it means that it’s not as filling as something like eggs or oatmeal. A graham cracker with peanut butter or a small bowl of cereal are my usual go-to options, but when I was putting together a list of things I wanted to stock in the freezer for when the baby arrived, some filling breakfast options were definitely on the list. I knew I would likely be starving and need some protein, but wouldn’t want to spend time making anything. Something healthy that I could pull out of the freezer and throw into the microwave sounded like the perfect solution.
I was inspired by the frozen breakfast burritos in Jessica’s Seriously Delish cookbook and bookmarked them immediately. I ended up making mine with the homemade flour tortillas that I shared with you last month, as well as some breakfast turkey sausage from a local turkey farm where we get our Thanksgiving turkey. Throw in some scrambled eggs and cheddar cheese and it’s a wonderfully complete breakfast. I also made another batch of egg, avocado and feta that is fabulous as well.
So far, my plan has worked out beautifully… having a nice warm breakfast that I can pull out of the freezer and have ready in less than a minute has been immensely helpful. Now I need to get to work on restocking my inventory!
What are your favorite go-to freezer breakfast ideas?
Egg, Sausage & Cheddar Breakfast Burritos
Use your homemade flour tortillas to make these easy breakfast burritos – the filling options are endless!
- 16 ounces breakfast sausage
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 flour tortillas
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the sausage, crumbling it as it cooks until it is cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to remove to a paper towel-lined plate to drain. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Add the eggs, season with salt and pepper to taste, and use a rubber spatula to stir until mostly cooked through and clumping, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the sausage and shredded cheddar to the pan and stir to combine.
- Divide the filling evenly between the flour tortillas, fold the sides in and roll up tightly. Serve immediately.
To Freeze: Wrap the burritos tightly in plastic wrap and place in a ziplock freezer bag. Freeze for up to 2 months. To reheat, microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through.