Both the lime-vanilla cupcakes and frosting are spiked with tequila!
Prep 45 minutes
Cook 25 minutes
Total 1 hour 10 minutes
Servings 12 cupcakes
Calories 466 kcal
For the Cupcakes
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1½ limes zested and juiced
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
To Brush the Cupcakes
- 1 to 2 tablespoons tequila
For the Tequila-Lime Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2¾ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- Pinch of coarse salt
Make the Cupcakes: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners; set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugar together until pale, light, and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
Reduce the mixer speed to medium and add the eggs one at at time, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
Scrape the sides of the bowl and add the lime zest, lime juice, vanilla extract and tequila. Mix until combined. (The mixture may start to look curdled at this point, but don't worry, it will all come back together!)
Reduce the mixer speed low. Add the dry ingredients in three batches, alternating with the buttermilk in two batches. Mix only until just incorporated, using a rubber spatula to give it one last mix by hand.
Divide the batter between the muffin cups. Bake until the cupcakes are light golden brown on top and a skewer inserted in the center has moist crumbs attached, about 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
Allow cupcakes to cool for 5 to 10 minutes, and then remove to a cooling rack. Brush the tops of the cupcakes with the 1 to 2 tablespoons of tequila. Set the cupcakes aside to cool completely before frosting them.
Make the Frosting: Whip the butter on medium-high speed of an electric mixer using the whisk attachment for 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium-low, and gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing and scraping the sides of the bowl until all is incorporated. Increase speed to medium and mix for 30 seconds. Add the lime juice, tequila and salt, and beat on medium-high speed until incorporated and fluffy. If the frosting appears a bit too soft, add some additional sugar, one spoonful at a time until desired consistency is reached. Frost cupcakes and garnish, if desired, with lime zest, an additional sprinkling of salt and a lime wedge.
- If you would prefer to not use liquor in these cupcakes, you can absolutely omit it from both the cupcakes and the frosting with no problem. If you do omit it, I would add 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract to the frosting.
- I used a Wilton 1M tip to frost the cupcakes.
- You can use whatever tequila you keep on hand; I've made them with both Patron and Jose Cuervo. You will want to use white or silver tequila, not gold.
Nutritional values are based on one cup cake
Amount Per Serving
Calories 466 Calories from Fat 216
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 24g 37%
Saturated Fat 15g 75%
Cholesterol 89mg 30%
Sodium 76mg 3%
Potassium 103mg 3%
Total Carbohydrates 57g 19%
Protein 3g 6%
Vitamin A 15.3%
Vitamin C 3.4%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.